CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How do you justify blackberry plan with SERO?

So I've had a Treo for a couple years now, and can't stand it anymore. I've wanted to upgrade to a Blackberry for a while, but I can't justify spending an extra $30 a month on top of my plan for essentially the same plan.

I have a SERO plan (unlimited data) + free unlimited text + free nights at 6pm.. runs me about $40/mo. If I get a Blackberry, I have to pay $30 for the Blackberry service, which is just unlimited data/email/txts, which I already have.

So for those with SERO, how do you justify it? Paying $30 extra for the same exact thing you have, except it is now Blackberry's service. Is it really that much better? I really want a Blackberry, but I just don't understand paying $70/mo instead of $40/mo, for the same exact features.

Any help is appreciated.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,667 Global Posts
    PIN
    25DCE56E

Blackberry's are data intensive. And honestly Sprint's $99 Unlimited Everything is one of the best plans going. Check Verizon and At&t's BlackBerry rates and that won't sound to bad.
    Southern By Latitude, Gentleman By Attitude!
    ~I LOVE THE SMELL OF CRACKBERRY IN THE MORNING~
    BlackBerry 101
    PLEASE VISIT
    Save the Internet
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Going from paying $40 for years to $100, for the same plan, isn't too appealing. I use about 150 minutes per month, so I don't need unlimited minutes. Do you at least get tethering with that plan, or still have to pay extra for it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    31A85C66

I love paying $46.30~, after taxes, for a SERO-like plan (unlimited minutes, unlimited data transfer, unlimited text, unlimited radio[basic], unlimited TV[basic], unlimited GPS, etc) .
    Last edited by Inifekt; 10-26-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    No longer an AT&T Mobility employee. Resigned 2/27/09.
    CrackBerry User

I pay more now just to have my BB. Thinking about downgrading to a cheaper plan for a while. Now that I have SEP I am not using my phone enough to justify the extra expense. Although if the storm were available I would keep my BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

The new SERO plan is $59 a month and it includes BIS. Did this slip by you?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    31b15002

I have been with Sprint for 5 years and I have bever heard of the Sero plan until recently how can I get one?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    PIN
    31C8D463

Just get a blackberry off of ebay and you can use it without bis. You don't have push email, but there is a workaround to get the blackberry browser up and working. Add jivetalk, gmail app, and opera... and you have a pretty functional blackberry.

I'm on the sero500 and own an ebay curve. I don't have any problems in the functionality department with my blackberry. I have no use for push email so it doesn't affect me too much.

I came from the treo800w. I couldn't take the poor battery life, instability, bugs, and attitude displayed by some in their community. Not to mention the poor vga screen and poor support for the resolution.
  9. bk0
    CrackBerry User

How can you justify it? Cause when you buy a freakin' BlackBerry why wouldn't you use it to its full potential?

Just buy a Palm or Nokia or something if you're feeling cheap...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    PIN
    31C8D463

Quote Originally Posted by bk0 View Post
    How can you justify it? Cause when you buy a freakin' BlackBerry why wouldn't you use it to its full potential?

Just buy a Palm or Nokia or something if you're feeling cheap...
    Maybe... just maybe.... some people don't need or use push email. Why pay for something you do not need. I can still use it as an organizer, a phone, a text machine, with a communication client via JiveTalk, and browse the internet.

Cheap has nothing to do with it. Why would anyone pay for something they don't need or use?

The curve is very good as a phone device. Something I can't say with other pdas I've experienced with, at least with sprint. Since when did Sprint start offering Nokia Pdas? That's news to me.

Add great battery life, beautiful designs, stability, substance, and good 1st party support and you have a winning combination. I'm certainly happy with my blackberry without bis and it functions great.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Nicely:-P

I'm on the simply everything plan with 450mins, everything else unlimited for 79.99/month. I also get a 22% discount through my job, but w/o the discount is still good pricing. I had a pearl through verizon and was paying $100/month and still didn't have navigation.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j-rad View Post
    So I've had a Treo for a couple years now, and can't stand it anymore. I've wanted to upgrade to a Blackberry for a while, but I can't justify spending an extra $30 a month on top of my plan for essentially the same plan.

I have a SERO plan (unlimited data) + free unlimited text + free nights at 6pm.. runs me about $40/mo. If I get a Blackberry, I have to pay $30 for the Blackberry service, which is just unlimited data/email/txts, which I already have.
    So for those with SERO, how do you justify it? Paying $30 extra for the same exact thing you have, except it is now Blackberry's service. Is it really that much better? I really want a Blackberry, but I just don't understand paying $70/mo instead of $40/mo, for the same exact features.

Any help is appreciated.
    The extra 30 a month is optional and gives you the BES service. I have a shared unlimited data plan and no BES, only thing I can't do is get my work email, everything else works great...

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    PIN
    Awaiting a new phone...

Quote Originally Posted by j-rad View Post

Any help is appreciated.

I was in your shoes up until a week ago. I have 2 SERO lines, a 1250min ($49.99 mine) and a 500min ($30 my son's). I struggled with having to pay the extra $ for BIS. The cost is whats kept me from getting a berry for over a year. I finally upgraded to a Curve last week from a Treo 700wx. Like you I was tired of the issues I was having with the Treo, restarts a few times a week, bluetooth problems. I really didnt want to give up the 1250 minutes in my plan knowing that the $59.99 SERO (500min) included BIS and intially added the Blackberry plan to the 1250min plan for another $30/month. After looking at my bill for the last 6 months and seeing that I'm using under 500 anytime min/month between my son and I, switched to the $59.99 plan. Damn near all of my family and friends are on Sprint/Nextel so it made sense to switch. The plan also includes Sprint TV.

If you're using under 500min/month, I say switch and enjoy all the features of the Berry.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    PIN
    30D5E1D8

Well I new here so i dont know if this is against the rules but this questions has been answered alot on sprintusers forum also. If your a longtime sprint customer they will work with you. I have business discount thru my job for my sprint acct. & have the $30 sero plan that includes everything. But I wanted to upgrade from my nextel to the blackberry curve so i have to add the $30 BIS to it which doubled my plan I explained to them situation after putting me on hold they was willing to give me a $20 discount every month. there also use to be a free bb addon but they ended it earlier this year when they added the simply everything plans. This discount though might not work for everyone because Ive been with sprint for over 5 yrs. & have good credit wit them eligible for 15 lines and currently only have 3 active. So depending you might be worth while to keep you as a customer so they might give you a discount.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    PIN
    30D5E1D8

O yea also some customers when they call sprint they comparing it 2 tmobile that has a $9.99 email only bb addon so they match. but yea i came from a treo 755p and I am lovin the bb ill never giveup my treo cuz i have like 4 of them. but the curve makes a great 2nd business phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    PIN
    No mas

I'm in the same boat. I have the older $30 Sero plan with a Mogul.

I've pretty much tweaked my Mogul to where I have no memory leaks and I'm using MS Live for Free PUSH Hotmail which is HTML.

I've been eying the red Curve for awhile. I think it's all about form factor. My mogul does everything but to be honest it's a brick, especially with the extended battery. In order to get the better form factor it's going to double my rate plan.

2 ways of going about it.
    -$30 BIS add on which according to Sprint C/S can be added ontop of my $30 SERO plan. The only thing this add-on gives is BB PUSH Email and BB messenger. I will still be able to take off the add-on if needed and keep my $30 plan
    -Switch to new SERO $59.99 plan which will give me BIS, Sprint GPS, Sprint TV (premium). I won't be able to revert back to the $30 plan.

Decisions decisions...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

I may jinx myself, but I have a SERO plan (500 minutes, unlimted, blah, blah) and I get the blackberry service for free (only pay the 30 bucks a month for my service). How this happened... I have NO idea! I had a Treo 755p, ordered the Curve off ebay, and called Sprint to "switch my phone".

Anyways, CC helps me switch my phone and I get off the phone with them and all is good. I however was a complete noob because it was my first blackberry and I was like, wtf... where are all the icons I'm supposed to have. I call Sprint after 4 hours (lol, I even did a hard reset thinking it was the phone before calling) and go through the prompts of reach Tech Support. I get on the phone and explain my problem and he is like, "ok, let me try something"... we wait for a few minutes and he is asking if I see data arrows working, and icons appears yet, etc. I then have to run quickly because a friend came to the door and I tell him I will call back. "You want me to call you back" ... "No, I'll call back" ... quickly hung up and when I check my phone a few minutes later, voila!

How this all worked... no idea! I've had the phone since early March and no changes on my bill yet. Maybe try my tactic

-Grand