CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Got Skype on my Sprint phone...

So I downloaded and installed Skype on my SPRINT BB 9630, so the problem now is is there anyway way to trick the app into thinking I'm on a Verizon BB 9630

When I launch the app I get the skype mobile loading screen, then this message pops up: Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless phones.

I'm thinking if you removed the vendor.xml file and replace it with a VZW one it will work but who knows... (I haven't tried this yet)

Does anyone have a workaround or more experience in this area?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Nope, it's not just the client side that allows skype to work, so even if you got it to run it wouldn't work.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,112 Global Posts
    PIN
    32304FF1

I have the perfect and easiest workaround, wait!!! Skype may come to sprint, or you could switch to vzw.
    " IF AT ANY TIME YOU FEEL AS IF NO ONE CARES IF YOU ARE ALIVE, TRY MISSING A COUPLE CAR PAYMENTS!"
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    313B5A84

i have read somewhere that skype might come to sprint soon...they are thinking about it. Lets see what happens cuz i use skype all the time.
    The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,151 Global Posts
    PIN
    <--keeps it together

It's not the full function but just the instant message part. Use NIMBUZZ. You can add all your instant messaging ike facebook, yahoo, msn, and yes even the skype im.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me..

IM+ lite is also a full messenger suite...and its free!

Quote Originally Posted by ibbeach0 View Post
    It's not the full function but just the instant message part. Use NIMBUZZ. You can add all your instant messaging ike facebook, yahoo, msn, and yes even the skype im.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have IM+ Talk. Anyway to use IM+ Talk with 3g instead of wifi? Like trick the app to think its on wifi? They have it for iPhone and its useful for some apps...like Skype.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

IM+ Talk works worldwide in any 3G⁄GSM⁄CDMA network and doesn't require WiFi.
    According to their own site it isn't supposed to require wifi in the first place
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    According to their own site it isn't supposed to require wifi in the first place
    Are you sure? Thats for their Windows Mobile phones not Blackberry. The Blackberry version requires wifi. I cant even connect with 3G. Only when I use wifi it works.

They are so misguiding...on their application blackberry IM+ Talk page, it clearly states on the bottom "call any PC, mobile or landline phone from wherever you are, making it very cost effective and it does not need Wi-Fi." However, when you go to their forums, the mods only say it is a wifi only app, not 3G, Edge, etc. Thats why I am desperately looking on how to use it on 3G, not wifi.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Well if the blackberry page says that (which it does) and their mods say otherwise, i dunno what to tell you...
    CrackBerry Newbie

I use IM+ Talk just fine on my 9630 (no wifi)

Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic205 View Post
    IM+ lite is also a full messenger suite...and its free!
    Yes, but IM+ lite logs you out of Skype after 30 minutes.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mh1ok View Post
    Are you sure? Thats for their Windows Mobile phones not Blackberry. The Blackberry version requires wifi. I cant even connect with 3G. Only when I use wifi it works.

They are so misguiding...on their application blackberry IM+ Talk page, it clearly states on the bottom "call any PC, mobile or landline phone from wherever you are, making it very cost effective and it does not need Wi-Fi." However, when you go to their forums, the mods only say it is a wifi only app, not 3G, Edge, etc. Thats why I am desperately looking on how to use it on 3G, not wifi.
    Does this work good on wifi? I travel out of the country and have wifi most of the time so I need something like skype for when I don't have my laptop available. I wish they would come out with Sprint Skype for BB. How is the connection using this?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    32D340A1

HOw is the quality of IM+ when using skype?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

I seriously don't think you need wifi to use im+ talk because they had it out before most blackberries even had wifi in them. They must work on 3g because they say they do or sometime in the development they changed it to only work on wifi? I have no idea because I thought it was able to be run on 3g.