Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me..
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default EVO released June 4th @ $199

..and hotspot is $29.99 extra

also capable of voice plus data in 4G or wifi area..

pretty cool...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Do the coolaid drinkers still think I'm just being negative...

Unfortunately, there's a downside to all this: customers will be paying a $10 per month "Premium Data add-on" on top of their plan --
    THIS WAS EASY TO PREDICT....

In order to provide the best experience, HTC EVO 4G will use Sprint's industry-leading Everything Data or Business Advantage Messaging and Data plans that include unlimited Web, texting and calling on the Sprint Network to every mobile in America with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM. Everything Data plans start at $69.99 per month. A $10 per month Premium Data add-on will apply allowing customers to take advantage of a richer data experience than ever before.
    The joke of this is, a lot of EVO users out there will be paying a data premium for 4g you can't use, that other people can...
    Last edited by papped; 05-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Papped, while all of the above may be true, even with the $10 'premium' baked into my bill on a monthly basis, I'm still WAAAAAY under where I would be with a 3G VZW plan. This is not a shot at Verizon, but to me, when I do go to Kansas City and Minneapolis (family and work) it will be worth it. Also, if I can't get used to the touchscreen, I just will return it within 30 days and get the new bold. Win/Win in my book.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caseydietz View Post
    Papped, while all of the above may be true, even with the $10 'premium' baked into my bill on a monthly basis, I'm still WAAAAAY under where I would be with a 3G VZW plan. This is not a shot at Verizon, but to me, when I do go to Kansas City and Minneapolis (family and work) it will be worth it. Also, if I can't get used to the touchscreen, I just will return it within 30 days and get the new bold. Win/Win in my book.
    This misses the point entirely... You're justifying being charged for services you can't properly or reliably use. The rollout is very, very incomplete, yet everyone is being charged like it isn't...

So *if* you happen to travel to an area where it's available, then it's worth it... Nevermind the fact you are paying $10 for a premium that doesn't have widespread rollout.

So if that arguement doesn't suit you, then you say "well another carrier would be more expensive anyways".... Except that everyone on your exact same carrier with the exact same plan is paying less anyhow... It's got nothing to do with other carriers, at all...

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

But again, I am not really surprised that Sprint customers are willing to defend Sprint in this case, at all.

Feel free to do what you wish with your money.

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts

3g is still fast enough for me on my blackberry.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    But again, I am not really surprised that Sprint customers are willing to defend Sprint in this case, at all.

Feel free to do what you wish with your money.
    I guess my point is, 10 bucks a month isn't going to put my family in the poor house. So, if I want to spend the extra money for premium gas for my car, or want to fill my H2 up three times a week and can afford to do it. More power to me...

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caseydietz View Post
    I guess my point is, 10 bucks a month isn't going to put my family in the poor house. So, if I want to spend the extra money for premium gas for my car, or want to fill my H2 up three times a week and can afford to do it. More power to me...
    You can use that same mentality to say that you might as well get Verizon then, just because you can...

It's all irrelevant. They are ripping off the majority by charging for a service a very small minority can actually use.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

You can use that same mentality to say that you might as well get Verizon then, just because you can...

It's all irrelevant. They are ripping off the majority by charging for a service a very small minority can actually use.
    To each his own, Sprint coverage works for me, and I like it... 10 is easier to digest than 50. Stay un-ripped off brugh
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me..
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

the $10 extra is for 4G and is optional...
    the $29.99 for hotspot is optional...

So the EVO.. a better phone that the incredible, is still available for a $69.99 plan.. and so in essence, there is no premium, no extra for the evo... only for additional beneficial services..

I would like to, but i cant really complain at that... these add-ons can be put on and off on a monthly basis.. gonna travel to 4G areas?..put it on for $10 and take it off when you get home.. going on vacation?.. add the hotspot for your laptop for one month... sheesh at a hotel you can pay $10 per day for wifi

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

All of their wording so far is pointing to $10 premium on the data plan not being optional. $29.99 hotspot is optional.

So far I found one website claiming it was optional but they add no reference?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I agree with you papped...it's a little ridiculous you charge that when it's not a nationwide service. I hope they only make it mandatory in the cities where 4G is available. If I could use 4G i'd love to try it....it seems pretty fast.

The phone is pretty cool and I may be switching to android (kind of tired waiting on BB to catch up, and even though os6 was previewed they didn't show a new web browser which leads me to believe it's not even done) just because the more people I see with it actually love it....but paying those extra 10 bucks doesn't sound fair to me.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

We knew special plans were being created for the Sprint EVO 4G and now we have the details. Customers can still use their Everything Data with Any Mobile, Anytime plans (starting at $69 a month), but they will be charged a mandatory (as confirmed by Sprint reps to Engadget) $10 per month 'Premium Data add-on' on top of their plan.
    Either someone at Sprint royally screwed up, or all of their own wording + engadget's confirmation is correct...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

Android Central is also reporting that the $10 fee is mandatory.

#sprintfail
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Any word on price without a contract? My contract isn't up for a while..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Finally Sprint welcome to Iphone killer mode!!!!! Unfortunately my upgrade is not till July 1st but I will have this phone
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

This misses the point entirely... You're justifying being charged for services you can't properly or reliably use. The rollout is very, very incomplete, yet everyone is being charged like it isn't...

So *if* you happen to travel to an area where it's available, then it's worth it... Nevermind the fact you are paying $10 for a premium that doesn't have widespread rollout.

So if that arguement doesn't suit you, then you say "well another carrier would be more expensive anyways".... Except that everyone on your exact same carrier with the exact same plan is paying less anyhow... It's got nothing to do with other carriers, at all...
    All this is relevant and makes sense, but what about everything the evo can do? This is like the iphone with mandatory data. It will most likely use much more data than other smart phones, even when not in 4g coverage areas. It has a front facing camera and video chatting, even when not in a 4g coverage area and just on 3g. And about not being able to use the services correctly (if not in 4g area), verizon charges mandatory $10 data for all 3g dumb phones, which I would say can't use the web and data to its full extent. So I would rather pay $10 and get 4g than be charged $10 for dumb phone data and whatever price difference on verizon.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Data plans are already mandatory for the smartphones on Sprint for phones like this, before the added premium.

You are paying for other people to use 4g, when most of you (the customer) can't use it. If you are okay with that, then you are going to be OK with a lot of crap you probably shouldn't be. It's plain and simple.

Other carrier's pricing is not an excuse for an increase in pricing on a specific handset for features that can't be used by most of that carrier's customers... That's called a deflection...

Even if you say "oh AT&T did the same thing in this other regard", does that mean you are promoting that Sprint should follow the same rip-off model and decisions and willing to pay them to do it?
    Last edited by papped; 05-12-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts
    PIN
    Good ol' PM

Anything you can find to B!itch about right Papped!

Shouldve know this would be coming from you.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

How about people that do not live in 3g areas that have to pay for a data plan if they get a smart phone. I don't remember anyone advocating for them. Sprint feels that it is a premium device and the charge a "premium" for it. At least you are getting a device worth the cost IMO
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sprint_fan View Post
    All this is relevant and makes sense, but what about everything the evo can do? This is like the iphone with mandatory data. It will most likely use much more data than other smart phones, even when not in 4g coverage areas. It has a front facing camera and video chatting, even when not in a 4g coverage area and just on 3g.

Wow, almost exactly what the Sprint spokesman said today when trying to justify the extra $10/mo......
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

The real question people should have is what will Verizon and ATT charge when they get their 4G devices (whenever that happens). I bet you sprint does not look so bad then
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    PIN
    Its Top Secret

I am okay with the $10 dollar charge because I want the phone...you gotta pay to play...right or wrong. I choose to play.
    RIM I will be back when you make a CDMA phone that compares with the EVO specs !!!!!

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyj17 View Post
    Anything you can find to B!itch about right Papped!

Shouldve know this would be coming from you.....
    Sorry I have no idea who you are

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by original00 View Post
    How about people that do not live in 3g areas that have to pay for a data plan if they get a smart phone. I don't remember anyone advocating for them. Sprint feels that it is a premium device and the charge a "premium" for it. At least you are getting a device worth the cost IMO
    I know people like to ignore details, but people have been very vocal about paying the same data prices when they can't get 3g, for a long long time...

Also there's a difference between spotty coverage and a completely early rollout that covers a fraction of your customers.

If that isn't understandable, then yeah I can see why you wouldn't care.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast