Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ditching the Blackberry

Okay, I said it. There are reasons and I am being patient with RIM, and there are no solutions on the horizon. Here are my grievances:

1.) Exchange email is unusable without a BES. My company is getting rid of the BES because it is too expensive, and Exchange already has push email ready for practically any device but a Blackberry. I use the BIS by choice because I do not want my company to be able to dictate how I use my own device. The 15 minute delay on a BIS I can live with, but no 2-way sync of the read/unread flag and deleted items is wearing me out. Having to push my calendar to Google and then to the BB causes problems when meeting invite emails show up. Exchange gives this away, all RIM needs to do is make the BIS use it.

2.) Two-way sync of email at all. RIM seems to think that when running on a BIS that you read your email on the BB and nothing else. My Hotmail junk email account is getting overrun with junk, and Hotmail's junk filter has no chance to do its job because I can't mark anything junk from the BB. If I mark junk in Hotmail on the web, I still need to delete from the BB. BIS 2.8 blah, blah, blah....it's getting old.

3.) RIM's exclusivity deals. I will not go to Verizon or AT&T and pay more for service when Sprint has been great for me. If RIM had better devices at Sprint, I would think about it...on second thought, given the above probably not.

So I am venting. I love many things about the BB, but the irritations are becoming unbearable and Sprint has some very compelling devices calling me. The thing I can't get over is that the killer app on the BB is it's messaging capability and RIM is letting competitors pass them by. This feels like Palm, the former leader in touch screen devices with loyal customers, letting Apple run away with the touch screen market because it could not innovate. Another case of Wall St. destroying innovation with profit demands? Happening to the iPhone...3.5 years later and very little innovation there.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, RIM.

LFW
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    PIN
    Me to the Wall!

You do what you gotta do
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24B786AA

Check out AstraSync for your Exchange compatibility. We had the same problem where I work except they didn't want to put the money up for BES. I've got two users using AstraSync now with two more getting ready to go to it. The guys at AstraSync are great. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I can put you in contact with my sales rep if you want to try it out too. They do offer a free trial on their website, but if you go through a rep, they can extend it a bit longer to give you a chance to get a good feel for it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,209 Global Posts

#3 isn't really a RIM or a BB problem... Blame Sprint.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I don't blame Sprint because another carrier entices the manufacturer to exclusively remain with the carrier. I think this is anti-competitive. Sprint has similar service to, if not better than, anyone else and for more competitive pricing. Take away exclusivity and Sprint be the most competitive player in the market, and Verizon knows it.

As for AstraSync, it should show RIM that there is a problem with their two product strategy. BIS make Exchange unusable and BES makes Exchange suitable for government intelligence. Why should I have to pay for another service when I can just get another device that works with Exchange. The competition is setting up camp in the middle and is setting the table to eat RIM's lunch right before their eyes.

StraightWisdom, do you work for RIM? Your comment sounds like their carefree attitude toward customers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

StraightWisdom, do you work for RIM? Your comment sounds like their carefree attitude toward customers.
    Yeah you have to wonder some times, lol

But RIM can dominate the market if they just fix a few things nothing against the Canadians but Americans like things Big and Outrageous and RIM really doesnt get that, and Sprint is like your cheap uncle Rosco that will never turn the AC on in the house, Cough up that darn money and get a good exclusive deal with RIM!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    PIN
    323EC51E

Question

What's is the problem with RIM? They did mobile email when no one else did and they still do better than everyone else.

Yes, for enterprise email sync, you need BES. Is it expensive? Yes. Is BES a solid product? YES.

If you have an enterprise email system like Exchange, then the BES is an asset not a liablity.

You may get tired of RIM's exclusive deal's with the wireless vendors but RIM must be doing something right as they have grown in this horrible economy when a other companys are failing.

Blaiming RIM for spam in your free email account and not having a better free email sync solution is like me being upset that the Ford dealer won't give me free gas for my car every month nor will they wash it for free when it get's dirty. SURE it's a great idea for the consumer but just not practical for the company.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    a medal upon my chest!

What about using Redirector instead of BIS?

Much quicker and syncs pretty nicely.
    HTC EVO 4G - GingerDeck 1.3
    Crackberry 9930- Meh, it's a Blackberry

"What if we don't want to use a Blackberry, because they are stupid and pointless?" -Dwight Schrute
    CrackBerry User

I'm curious to know the logic behind a company getting rid of their BES.
    Is this a cost savings thing? Do you not have many people at your company with Blackberries or are they switching to another device?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts

I've been saying what you just posted for a while, most importantly i see RIM walking down the same plank that Palm did after they got comfortable and stopped innovating. If it happened to Palm it most certainly can happen to RIM and i see it slowly beginning.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today."

The magic a Sharpie Marker can do http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/my-berry-bold-235353/