I have put up with and put up with this problem, but no more. When I try to load this site, Firefox gets to "Waiting for Crackberry.com" and no farther. Other sites load quickly; it is only this one that is constantly slow. Sometimes I have to hard reload the site before it will finally load.

Please do something to reduce these ridiculous wait times.

Thank you!
    09-20-10 10:28 AM
    My suspicion is the frenzy over the leak of 6.0 to the 9650 & 9330 has brought MUCH traffic to the site, plus we have some new releases on the horizon too, the Tablet, Pearl 3G to the US, Storm2 Refresh, 9780, etc, traffic in general is up. Our tech staff is aware and most likely working on the issue. I will try to get you an update on progress. I noticed some slowness this morning also.
    09-20-10 11:15 AM
    It happens alot with FF, I agree. I have ads blocked and I think it has something to do with that. If the site sits and waits for them to be delivered, the web page will freeze or appear to do so.
    09-20-10 05:05 PM
    Are you folks saying that the Crackberry site loads faster in Internet Explorer? If so, I'm outta here w/Firefox (FF has become bloatware city lately anyway)
    09-21-10 02:35 PM
    The site has become increasingly slow. I've tried it with IE8, IE9 (Beta), and Chrome. They are all slow - I can't see the increase in users causing this much of a slow down.
    09-21-10 02:43 PM
    I've had slowness issues with this site (and others) on my Macbook pro.
    The strange thing is, it only happens while I'm on my work network and my machine is the only one on the network that seems to be affected - everyone else can load the site very quickly. Granted, I'm the only Mac in the building.
    When I come home, I can access the site just fine.

It appears that the site gets hung up while "waiting for ad1.netshelter.net" or "ad4.netshelter.net".
    I presume these are ad servers, that for some reason, are being blocked to only my machine...? There are a few other sites out there that use ad.yieldmanager.com that get hung up as well.

These hangups happen on both browsers I've used on my mac (Firefox, Safari).

So far, I can't determine what could be causing this... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    09-23-10 09:37 PM
    I've had slowness issues with this site (and others) on my Macbook pro.
    The strange thing is, it only happens while I'm on my work network and my machine is the only one on the network that seems to be affected - everyone else can load the site very quickly. Granted, I'm the only Mac in the building.
    When I come home, I can access the site just fine.

It appears that the site gets hung up while "waiting for ad1.netshelter.net" or "ad4.netshelter.net".
    I presume these are ad servers, that for some reason, are being blocked to only my machine...? There are a few other sites out there that use ad.yieldmanager.com that get hung up as well.

These hangups happen on both browsers I've used on my mac (Firefox, Safari).

So far, I can't determine what could be causing this... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    The clue is in your message. Only on your office network, and only to your machine. If it was a problem with the CB site you can be sure we would have thousands of complaints.

This sounds like a fight between firewalls, and maybe browser settings or a blocker on your machine.
    09-24-10 05:04 AM
    The clue is in your message. Only on your office network, and only to your machine. If it was a problem with the CB site you can be sure we would have thousands of complaints.

This sounds like a fight between firewalls, and maybe browser settings or a blocker on your machine.
    No, it is a problem with the site itself, or the servers hosting it, or the amount of traffic to the site. I have problems with every computer in my house and even my laptop in different wifi locations. At times everything loads just fine then suddenly, it just seems to hang for a while. Then it will run fine again for a little while. Some of us just don't feel the need to complain about something so trivial.
    09-24-10 05:54 AM
    No, it is a problem with the site itself, or the servers hosting it, or the amount of traffic to the site. I have problems with every computer in my house and even my laptop in different wifi locations. At times everything loads just fine then suddenly, it just seems to hang for a while. Then it will run fine again for a little while. Some of us just don't feel the need to complain about something so trivial.
    Not for that perticular response from Branta. It applied to a user who only experiences this issue on their work computer and nowhere else. That points to an issue localized at that location, be it PC, network, software, etc.

Your problem could be somewhere else. Have you tried trace routing to the forum site to see if perhaps one of the hops is slowing you down rather then the destination. I would start there and work back.

There are times when I too experience a slight slowness with a request, but I also work quick and I find everything slow once I'm used to it and find myself waiting on a lot of things to happen. Could be that or could be the site. It's been a while since I've seen Gateway Timeouts on here.

Also, check the main forum page for the amount of users on at the time of your slowness. If there's a lot of users on, it's bound to be slow... this isn't Google Search. lol
    09-24-10 10:28 AM
    I just wanted to chime in and say that the site is slow for me as well. It's been slow in different locations. It can be slow on my work machine, my home machine, and was slow on a hotel network that I was on yesterday.

I think you may be right about the number of users, right now it's over 10,000.

While this is great, the slowness of the site does make me want to wander over to other Blackberry sites instead.

Just today, I ended up double posting because of the long delays. Then, when I tried to delete the post there was another insanely long delay. It took me almost 5 minutes to post and remove the post. That's frustrating.

I understand the need to balance performance with cost, especially on a fan site such as this one. But Crackberry has been slow more often than fast, and it's starting to make me want to change communities.

Perhaps you should start soliciting for donations for new servers?

Thanks!
    09-24-10 10:36 AM

Hi Branta,
    Let me clarify:
    The issue I experience, is that when I go to crackberry, the name is resolved fine. The page starts loading - but hangs after the crackberry banner loads. At the bottom of the browser (and this is in Safari, Chrome and Firefox), it says "waiting for ad4.netshelter.net" or "ad1.netshelter.net". And it hangs... and hangs... for nearly 3 minutes. Then the page suddenly loads.
    I don't have this problem when I switch to the mobile version of the site.

Now, I only experience this issue on my laptop when I am on my work network. However, other people on my work network DO NOT experience this hanging issue. As soon as I move my laptop to a different network, the experience is quite different: The site loads relatively quickly, with very little (or no) hang.

It's got to be some sort of network issue that is only affecting my machine. And this really isnt a surprise, as I am the ONLY person on my work network with a Mac (macbook pro). What I cannot figure out, is why my network has such prejudice to my machine, when my home network (or any other for that matter) doesn't have any issue. It's quite a mystery...
    It doesn't seem to be a DNS issue, external IP address issue, cache issue, etc. I've checked all those things, and the problem still persists. I've even disabled my mac firewall, so that the only firewall between me and the internet, is our corporate Cisco PIX.
    I suppose part of this mystery is, what is it with this 'ad4.netshelter.net' site? It's some ad server for sure, buy why is it hanging the website from loading for such a lengthy period of time? I DO appear to have similar hanging issues with numerous other ad servers I've encountered. There is some clue there, but I don't know what it is...

Thanks for any assistance!

-Ryan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ryandinan; 09-30-10 at 09:53 AM.
    09-30-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD