Hi,

This goes out to the developers and readers of CB.

I was wondering how possible it is to introduce ordering of answers to a thread.

More often than not, suggestions/answers worthy of a solution stays hidden if its not visible in the first page of the thread. And to dig in multiple pages to find the answer which fits the question is almost always not possible.

So I was wondering if a feature such as the one used in stackoverflow websites, where users decide which answer seems to be the correct solution show up on first page (right underneath the question).

I however do realise the forums are also used to voice opinions/experiences and is not always question-answer like in technical forums so can a category be introduced (if one does exist - pardon me and please point me in the right direction) or perhaps introduce them so as to cater to people's need.

If you also look at quora - such a magnificently run website where users take to each other in absolutely honesty and such civility. As one of the CB readers - I too honestly believe and seen we can keep the likes/thanks genuine for such an ordering to be effective.

It will surely be helpful if things can be found easily and efficiently - isn't that what we all love about z10
    03-27-13 02:58 AM
    I was wondering how possible it is to introduce ordering of answers to a thread.

More often than not, suggestions/answers worthy of a solution stays hidden if its not visible in the first page of the thread. And to dig in multiple pages to find the answer which fits the question is almost always not possible.

So I was wondering if a feature such as the one used in stackoverflow websites, where users decide which answer seems to be the correct solution show up on first page (right underneath the question).
    The problem I foresee with that is it ruins the flow of a discussion. Most discussions evolve over time and it is not just a short question and a short answer.

I'm also not such a big fan of fixating on "votes". A lot of the stuff that is voted up I really dislike. The only way I think I could tolerate such a system is if it would adapt its ratings so that it only gave enhanced visibility to the kinds of things *I* vote up.
    03-27-13 04:13 AM
    I like this option alot, how about the layout stay exactly as is, with the option to sort conversation by "Most liked "
    Great idea

Posted via Freshberry Z10
    03-27-13 04:15 AM
    There's a lot of things we could do here.

We could have new sort options... or something else we've discussed is having some sort of 'question answered?' option for the OP. If the question has been answered, the OP can mark this and everyone knows that the problem at-hand has been solved. We could also close the thread at that point, or give that option.

These are 2 ideas, and there's many more... but I do agree, providing the most relevant information higher up 'above the fold' is generally a good thing. We would need to be mindful however of the flow of the conversation.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-27-13 09:14 AM
    Yes I completely understand and I appreciate it James, you taking out the time to reply to such requests.

Having said it, somehow I like the idea of having a conversation which is the existing flow in the forums but if the OP decides it's more towards a conversation and not a question thread - and allow most votes/stuffs.

Speaking of which Omnitech has also pointed out that he/she prefers to see the posts that he/she has voted. Not such a bad idea huh? But what I do not see is how does that appeal to that of the OP's view. Anyway it would be cool to discuss on it, wont it be?

I don't do much of graph database but if I may ask a question regarding this DB - does CB use Graph or traditional RDBMS - this question goes out to James/Other Dev's in CB.

It will be so cool, to come up with a design that fits all or well appreciated by fellow members
    03-27-13 02:18 PM
    There's a lot of things we could do here.

We could have new sort options... or something else we've discussed is having some sort of 'question answered?' option for the OP. If the question has been answered, the OP can mark this and everyone knows that the problem at-hand has been solved. We could also close the thread at that point, or give that option.

These are 2 ideas, and there's many more... but I do agree, providing the most relevant information higher up 'above the fold' is generally a good thing. We would need to be mindful however of the flow of the conversation.

I like the "solved" idea - amazing how much time people can waste here either creating new threads about the same thing already answered, or wading through 10 pages of a discussion futilely looking for the answer to something.

I realize there are going to be limits because you have to work within the available limits of the forum platform you're using. So probably not much likelihood of a "slashdot style" forum, for example.

Anyway, thanks for the info and efforts.
    03-27-13 05:31 PM