• Support this suggestion

58 55.77%
  • Oppose this suggestion

27 25.96%
  • No opinion either way

19 18.27%
    thank you.
    12-31-09 10:08 AM
    Brook, I find it disingenuous that you say your not part of the activists group when you posts say otherwise! You, along with the "free theme mafia" as I like to call it have been nothing but critical of "paid" themes, regardless if they are good or not. I cannot wait to see when this change happens and how the in-fighting will still happen no matter what you call a thread, which in "real life" is not all that important of a crusade! Further, take a look back when the free monthly theme contests took place, this same small minority of trouble makers made coming to CB unpleasent.. So I hope you are happy and all I can say is that time will tell when this change takes place! Happy New Year all!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-09 10:51 AM
    Brook, I find it disingenuous that you say your not part of the activists group when you posts say otherwise! You, along with the "free theme mafia" as I like to call it have been nothing but critical of "paid" themes, regardless if they are good or not. I cannot wait to see when this change happens and how the in-fighting will still happen no matter what you call a thread, which in "real life" is not all that important of a crusade! Further, take a look back when the free monthly theme contests took place, this same small minority of trouble makers made coming to CB unpleasent.. So I hope you are happy and all I can say is that time will tell when this change takes place! Happy New Year all!!

This post certainly does not help. Kevin is making changes for the greater good. Lets not look upon this in the negative, but rather a positive change that will benefit all. May there be bumps along the way? Of course! But lets go in to this in the positive and in a spirit of unity for this website we all love.
    12-31-09 11:19 AM
    amen pkcable
    12-31-09 11:31 AM
    Pkcable, the post is not meant to be inflammatory just a fact that regardless of what changes are made, there will never be one group that is happy which is normal.. The larger point is that a group of a few have been causing these problems for some time... If this change makes it better, who knows? Only the mods can hope!

12-31-09 11:32 AM
    I'm sure the free theme forum will just be the same thing as the forum it is now, just going to have to have more moderators for that cause it's going to be a hay day with some of the individuals that post in the forums thinking they have a forum section to themselves
    12-31-09 11:36 AM
    I just don't understand this. Having seperate forums for "paid" vs. "Free" is a waste of time in my opinion. That just leaves more searching for people to find themes they like. If you have new traffic come to the site, are they going to go to 10 different forums to find themes? I doubt it. We are already to the point now that having a 9700, 9600, and 8900 section is becoming too much. If you are running 5.0, which most people are these days, then that is 3 different forums to look thru now. Add in now that each one of those forums will be split to paid and free, and you have now 6 sections to check. The great thing about this site that I loved was its simplicity of finding things on here. Now we are making this site complex to find good themes without having a map to decipher where to find things. If you want to change from premium to paid, then I believe, that is fair. Splitting forums between paid and free is asinine..............and I know tons of CB posters that agree with that. Should I start a petition for that too?!?

12-31-09 12:20 PM
    Not really sure who's having a hay day or what anyone who opposes the change thinks Free themers have to gain but all we are trying to do is provide Free themes to this FREE community. The disruption others wanna talk about, if i'm so disruptive how come i have never been banned? It was stated "without the moderators attempting to influence the outcome of the debate" but yet the same Mod who has said that has also made it seam like the members who want the change are only disruptive and cause problems. But i am glad you shared your thoughts too as everyone, Mods, Members, Paid and Free theme makers should be able to express their thoughts with out it being called a disruption.

I want to provide Free themes to the fellow members of Crackberry. I learned everything i know about Blackberrys and theme making here for FREE. It is my way of giving back. I have never had any problems with Paid themes. I have posted the Rules that have stated themes need to be free, but i was only asking for the RULES to be followed. When the rules changed to Free/Premium, i stated then that the word Premium should not be used for Paid themes to not cause confusion to the members of Crackberry that because they Pay for a theme they are getting something over and beyond what they "CAN" get for a Free theme.

It is my OWN belief that Crackberry has always had the intentions of providing it's members access to any and everything Free they can. At the top of Every page, you'll see Blog, Forums, Store, Themes, Ringtones, Wallpapers. With the exception of Store (clearly NOT free if it is a STORE) and Themes, everything else is FREE. Somewhere, it's really hard to find, there is a Free theme section that got lost and now only links back to the store. I think as the Ringtones and wallpapers you find there are free, that the themes somewhere also were meant to link to the Free themes section Crackberry used to have.

So... to those who think i have caused a disruption, Really, I am sorry and i have not meant to. But like i said, that does not take away the fact you guys feel that way. All i can really do is say sorry. We can agree to disagree on how the forums should work, but as it was stated, this was brought over here to have the discussion. Not to talk about it blindly, but to come to a resolution.

I for one, am excited about a resolution and i thank the Mods and Kevin for the consideration. I also realize nothing has changed yet, but i am sure even if it is not changing the forums, that it is now a know issue (for some, i know not all) and that changes to help are on the way.
    12-31-09 01:42 PM
    lol. this is a pretty intense topic among people. i'm ok with one theme forum too, and if scrapping the word premium in favor of paid makes everybody happy, then i'm cool with that. it definitely seems to be the generic app store convention. one theme forum is less work for us, so not having two is probably good from a management point. and for those browsing too - it keeps the onus on the theme poster to make sure they categorize it properly - thread titles do the talking.

i'm hoping to implement changes early next week, so there's a couple more days here for this point to be debated.
    12-31-09 03:05 PM
    lol. this is a pretty intense topic among people. i'm ok with one theme forum too, and if scrapping the word premium in favor of paid makes everybody happy, then i'm cool with that. it definitely seems to be the generic app store convention. one theme forum is less work for us, so not having two is probably good from a management point. and for those browsing too - it keeps the onus on the theme poster to make sure they categorize it properly - thread titles do the talking.

i'm hoping to implement changes early next week, so there's a couple more days here for this point to be debated.
    Sounds good to me, Kevin.
    12-31-09 03:39 PM
    Usually when things are quoted "premium" they tell you that it's of higher quality or that you get more for the money, ie free membership versus premium membership. The premium always comes with more, correct? I don't feel any of my themes are of lesser quality than those of paid themes. I spend the same amount of time making them and don't feel you get less just because its free. Brook is simply making a statement and I feel she has a right to do so without being harassed for it. You may not agree with her. That's why we were all born with "self control." If you don't like or agree, just move on. No need to insult someone for having an opinion.

I agree 100% with u. She (Brook) simply gave a voice to her opinion without hurting anybody.
    Besides I find that many of the FREE themes look much nicer, better than PREMIUM ones. And yes Premium means above average quality. I don't have to point to your themes or all the other theme makers( I don't wanna mention names we know who they r) and compare their theme to the so called Premium ones i bet even if those become free lot's of us would still choose yours because those FREE themes r PREMIUM quality.
    01-01-10 12:40 AM
    Just wanted to add some info. I went to appworld today to look for a new theme and found 394! and you can choose if you want to look for "paid" themes or "free" themes or "free and paid" both. Not to dismiss what other's have posted, but even at blackberry they are not using "premium" to indicate a pay theme.
    True. Good observation. I do agree with u thou that paid does not necessarily means PREMIUM. Quality does. I voted for the name change.
    01-01-10 12:56 AM
    skipped reading the thread, simply to state my opinion:

I understand that when browsing for a theme, usually it will be stated if it is a premium theme or not. If it states premium I don't assume that its somehow better then a free theme. All a premium theme means to me is that the creator would like to be compensated for the time/effort spent on creating the theme. There are some pretty amazing FREE themes out there, along with some not so amazing ones. The premium themes from reputable creators should be bug free, and that may not be the case with a free theme. Personally, I'll probably never pay for a theme. if I don't like the stock ones or the free ones available, then I'd rather spend my own time to create one exactly for me.

I understand that premium means "paid for" in this case, and does not specificly imply that premium=better.
    01-02-10 09:35 AM
    it keeps the onus on the theme poster to make sure they categorize it properly - thread titles do the talking.

On the topic of that comment, Kev... are moderators going to start addressing the number of theme makers that do NOT label their theme titles? As I stated in an earlier post.. 'premium' vs 'pay', would be LESS an issue, if theme authors would actually label their posts appropriately. You can randomly pick a theme forum, and within the first page of dang near every one, you see authors NOT following that rule.

Also, I know the rule is that pay themes are supposed to go through THIS site, and not another.. but what are the rules regarding links to FREE themes located on other sites? Have ran into a few instances where a nice looking theme is posted, and to grab it, the reader has to go to the other site, register there (forums or otherwise) just to download it.
    01-05-10 12:02 PM
    update: have to leave for vegas now for CES.... back sunday night and will get these changes implemented and new forum rules up during next week. thx for the patience. it's all written up in my brain now... that was the hard part. just need some time to get it all typed out.
    01-05-10 04:01 PM
    update: have to leave for vegas now for CES.... back sunday night and will get these changes implemented and new forum rules up during next week. thx for the patience. it's all written up in my brain now... that was the hard part. just need some time to get it all typed out.
    Thank you for listening to us! safe travels.
    01-05-10 06:10 PM

Kev have fun in Vegas and come back with some great news.
    01-05-10 11:01 PM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD