I was wondering if there was a way to get a notification if there was a new featured post on the homescreen of CB. Anyone knows how this can be done?

Notification through mail would be nice.

TIA and I love all of you, people.
    04-06-10 05:27 PM
    No. I recently started using Twitter for Blackberry and follow Crackberry so that's how I know when they update the front blog
    04-06-10 05:49 PM
    I like this idea, we get one for PM's, I want one for new blog entries.

This should be posted in Site Questions and Bug Reporting though...
    04-06-10 05:54 PM
    04-06-10 05:56 PM
    crackberry (crackberry) on Twitter

Then click the little phone next to following. It will send you an SMS when there is a tweet.
    04-06-10 06:00 PM
    No. I recently started using Twitter for Blackberry and follow Crackberry so that's how I know when they update the front blog
    I know, but I don't want to use twitter. Just a single email in my inbox telling me there's a new blog posted. I don't want to use twitter, but I'm feeling your point.

I like this idea, we get one for PM's, I want one for new blog entries.

This should be posted in Site Questions and Bug Reporting though...
    Hmmm, I'm certainly gonna do that.

How can this be done? Will it send me an email when a new blog is posted or any other notification?
    04-06-10 06:00 PM

How can this be done? Will it send me an email when a new blog is posted or any other notification?
    You need an RSS reader. Viigo is one but there are others. Get Viigo here:

Download | Viigo

Set up your account online. Then, on your computer, you can copy URLs from where you find them and then paste them into your online account manager.
    04-06-10 06:46 PM
    You need an RSS reader. Viigo is one but there are others. Get Viigo here:

Download | Viigo

Set up your account online. Then, on your computer, you can copy URLs from where you find them and then paste them into your online account manager.
    I get the feeling, but isn't there a easier way to get notified?

By the way, how will Viigo alert me that something new has been posted?
    04-07-10 03:29 AM
    I think Costumed has a fantastic idea.
    We can get notified of new posts in a thread if we bookmark it, right? So we could bookmark a topic and when something is posted and a tag is added to that topic we could get notification.
    04-07-10 03:40 AM
    I think Costumed has a fantastic idea.
    We can get notified of new posts in a thread if we bookmark it, right? So we could bookmark a topic and when something is posted and a tag is added to that topic we could get notification.
    This is not exactly what I was thinking about, but I like the idea.

What I meant was to get notifications about the homepage of CB www.crackberry.com. About the featured posts there. So if someone from the CB team posts a new blog on the homescreen, we get email notifications.
    04-07-10 04:17 AM
    So you would like a generalised notification of new blog entries added...even simpler. They have a user list - could simply send out notifications to anyone who clicks on a "Send me updates" link.

See, I'd like a more tailored approach. If there is an Apple or Android post, I wouldn't necessarily be interested. But as far as RIM features (tips, leaks, etc) I'd want to be notified.
    04-07-10 04:28 AM
    So you would like a generalised notification of new blog entries added...even simpler. They have a user list - could simply send out notifications to anyone who clicks on a "Send me updates" link.

See, I'd like a more tailored approach. If there is an Apple or Android post, I wouldn't necessarily be interested. But as far as RIM features (tips, leaks, etc) I'd want to be notified.
    That was what I was talking about. I wish they already have that.

Your idea is kinda neat, sounds awesome if they would make this possible.
    04-07-10 06:42 AM
    That was what I was talking about. I wish they already have that.

Your idea is kinda neat, sounds awesome if they would make this possible.
    Wouldn't it be great? But it was *your* idea - I just played along...

I think it would work very well....ooooohhhh, mooooddsss!!!!!
    04-07-10 09:40 AM
    I like the idea. Looking into.

To the OP, I know you have stated not wanting to use Twitter, but once upon a time, I was in the same conundrum. Try Yatca. Get a twitter acct, d/l the app (very small) and follow @crackberry. Posts new tweets to your inbox.

Not an email, but the next best thing. Used it myself for ages to keep up with the blogs.
    04-07-10 09:44 AM
    You can also try FeedMyInbox.

You can set it to email yiou instantly about new posts to the RSS feeds you add to the service. Add the CB blog RSS, and it will email you with new posts as they hit the feed.

Edit: added link Real-time RSS feeds - RSS to email - Feed My Inbox
    Last edited by michaelwpg; 04-07-10 at 09:48 AM. Reason: link
    04-07-10 09:46 AM
    Wouldn't it be great? But it was *your* idea - I just played along...

I think it would work very well....ooooohhhh, mooooddsss!!!!!
    Let's state it's OUR idea. Hope it'll be realized soon.

I like the idea. Looking into.

To the OP, I know you have stated not wanting to use Twitter, but once upon a time, I was in the same conundrum. Try Yatca. Get a twitter acct, d/l the app (very small) and follow @crackberry. Posts new tweets to your inbox.

Not an email, but the next best thing. Used it myself for ages to keep up with the blogs.
    Hmm, I get it. I get your point. I'll think about making a twitter account.
    Thanks, Mike.
    04-07-10 09:48 AM
    Also, (yes, I'm going overboard with this) if you use Outlook 2007 or higher, you can add RSS to your inbox. I use it at work, sitting at a PC all day.

I've added the CB blog RSS, and it posts it to my inbox as soon as it grabs from the feed. Great way to keep up on the sly, as it looks just like a normal email.
    04-07-10 09:53 AM
    You can also try FeedMyInbox.

You can set it to email yiou instantly about new posts to the RSS feeds you add to the service. Add the CB blog RSS, and it will email you with new posts as they hit the feed.

Edit: added link Real-time RSS feeds - RSS to email - Feed My Inbox
    This is great!!! Fantastic, BUT it isn't instant email, just daily. The frequency can be changed, but you'll need a pay-account. Too bad.

Also, (yes, I'm going overboard with this) if you use Outlook 2007 or higher, you can add RSS to your inbox. I use it at work, sitting at a PC all day.

I've added the CB blog RSS, and it posts it to my inbox as soon as it grabs from the feed. Great way to keep up on the sly, as it looks just like a normal email.
    Just like me, a junkie about new featured posts, right:P? I hardly go to my inbox on my computer anymore, I always use my BB to mail.

Any more suggestions? I know, I'm a pain in the ***, but all I want is a 'notify me by email if new posts are placed' button on the homescreen:P.
    04-07-10 09:59 AM
    I've passed the idea on to those who make these types of changes. Fingers crossed. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for other ways, but those are the ones I have used.
    04-07-10 10:04 AM
    I've passed the idea on to those who make these types of changes. Fingers crossed. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for other ways, but those are the ones I have used.
    I keep all of my fingers crossed now :P. Thank you so much and hope to hear some great news soon.
    04-07-10 10:06 AM
    good idea and good thoughts. have an idea on how to make this all work in a way that would be appealing. stay tuned!

K
    04-07-10 10:12 AM
    Thinking outloud, but this could be a GREAT new feature to the CB app, that Fabian wrote. Maybe version 2.0?

I'm going to move the whole thread to Site Questions as an earlier poster suggested.

EDIT: Correction, another mod is going to move it while I'm posting.
    04-07-10 10:16 AM
    good idea and good thoughts. have an idea on how to make this all work in a way that would be appealing. stay tuned!

K
    Kevin, well well. What a privilege to see you commenting in my thread. Thanks and you guys rock, all CB rocks.
    04-07-10 10:16 AM
    I have been wrestling with the same question (how to get instant e-mail notification of blogs posts without twitter or rss) for months. Thanks, OP for stepping up and getting the ball rolling. I am sure there are a lot of other addicts in the CB nation that would like the same option!!!

Sign me up!!
    04-07-10 10:17 AM
    I have been wrestling with the same question (how to get instant e-mail notification of blogs posts without twitter or rss) for months. Thanks, OP for stepping up and getting the ball rolling. I am sure there are a lot of other addicts in the CB nation that would like the same option!!!

Sign me up!!
    Thanks, haha. I've been asking myself if it was possible ever since I've signed up, but obviously I'm the first one to discuss it :P.

You're welcome and hope to see some news soon.
    Last edited by Costumed; 04-07-10 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Stupid mistake, sorry.
    04-07-10 10:20 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD