View Poll Results: Would you like to see when a user receives a warning or an infraction on their profile?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 56.20%
  • No

53 43.80%
    So it's ok to insult women in general, as long as the insult does not apply to one particular woman?
    Although I see it can be taken as an insult, it was not meant as an insult to anybody, it was just an observation from the people around me. Next time you look around you might notice it too. I did get a warning for that but it was not meant as an insult.
    11-06-12 10:35 AM
    The results are In ladies and gentlemen. View poll for the current opinion of the majority. Belfast's opinion has proven to be what most of us believe.
    Thank you, and if you read this thread you could think it was the other way around.
    11-06-12 10:36 AM
    Thank you, and if you read this thread you could think it was the other way around.
    And I'm wondering why this is. Where are all of the "yes" voters with their opinions on why they think this is a good idea?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-06-12 10:38 AM
    The results are In ladies and gentlemen. View poll for the current opinion of the majority. Belfast's opinion has proven to be what most of us believe.
    LOL. Now what?

I guess the "winning" side has a choice to make. Since hostile takeovers of forums are impossible...
    11-06-12 10:38 AM
    I disagree with this. An opinion about a general group of people could DEFINITELY get personal. People could spout off about "dyk*s," "libtards," how "women belong barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" etc and I'd definitely take that personally. Same thing goes with generalizations and assumptions about the type of person I am because I use certain devices.
    Except that has no place and would never be allowed on this forum so why even compare it?
    11-06-12 10:41 AM
    Except that has no place and would never be allowed on this forum so why even compare it?
    Because it's showing that a generalization of a group of people could indeed be taken personally by an individual, which is something you claimed was false.
    11-06-12 10:43 AM
    Additionally, self reports on an untimed poll where the self reports are an infinitesimal fraction of the total membership are quite....ummm....open to spin masters.
    Laura Knotek and mikeo007 like this.
    11-06-12 10:43 AM
    And I'm wondering why this is. Where are all of the "yes" voters with their opinions on why they think this is a good idea?
    It's a poll, nobody is obliged to voice an opinion.
    11-06-12 10:44 AM
    It doesn't have to lead anywhere, there's a poll still open at the top, people can still vote and make their opinion on my idea put forward.

If it's significant enough perhaps one day the forum owner might take notice.
    Then my posts were completely fine since this doesnt have a track to anywhere
    11-06-12 10:48 AM
    Because it's showing that a generalization of a group of people could indeed be taken personally by an individual, which is something you claimed was false.
    So if I would say most large women wear blue hats, would that be taken as an insult?
    11-06-12 10:48 AM
    I'll agree with you there. But whether they are pro-BlackBerry, anti-BlackBerry, or somewhere in between, they should be treated the same.

It appears to me that some staunch RIM supporters feel they are somehow justified to act like a bully because they are "defending the brand" yet they will call out others for the same behaviour, but perhaps having a different opinion.
    Perspective is an interesting thing, ain't it? I don't think it is healthy to elevate ANY corporation to the status of having to be defended with one's life, but hey. We all have our particular foibles, and as long as it ain't against the law, I say have at it.

I completely agree. I think a little bit of maturity would help. I think I have been around CB so long that I smile when I see the whippersnappers huffin' and puffin' to the platform-specific rhetoric that emanates from their own dreary loins. I remember when folks used to get fired up about mentions of Palm! LOL!

At the root of it all, we are all tech lovers, and thankfully, we have this area to share it. With the wonderful tools (ignore and report), it's hard not to have fun if you really want to.
    11-06-12 10:51 AM
    He's baiting you with Misogyny.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    11-06-12 10:51 AM
    So if I would say most large women wear blue hats, would that be taken as an insult?
    I gotta admit it, this is getting funnier by the minute.

Women in general would object when anybody calls them large. And to find a group of large women anywhere at the same time... man you got to be kidding me..

and the blue hats... nvm....
    Laura Knotek and middbrew like this.
    11-06-12 10:54 AM
    There is no way to generalize any group of people, whether based upon sex, age, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation. Generalizations such as that inevitably lead to prejudice and discrimination.
    pantlesspenguin and middbrew like this.
    11-06-12 10:55 AM
    You know something? A heartfelt apology goes a long way. We all offend people (self included... no one say a word!), sometimes unknowingly. Doesn't mean it doesn't cause hurt. If you have been confronted by something you said, and you truly did not mean for it to perceived the way it was, an apology is NOT a sign of weakness.

Just food for thought.
    11-06-12 10:57 AM
    I gotta admit it, this is getting funnier by the minute.

Women in general would object when anybody calls them large. And to find a group of large women anywhere at the same time... man you got to be kidding me..

and the blue hats... nvm....
    LOL... and Belfast is married. He should know these things...
    11-06-12 10:58 AM
    All men are stupid.

Is that OK since I'm a man and belong to this group? And how many women agree? If you agree you are insulting myself and all men even though I am the one who made the comment and belong to the group.
    11-06-12 10:59 AM
    *RUNS to the break room for more popcorn*

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    middbrew likes this.
    11-06-12 11:00 AM
    All men are stupid.

Is that OK since I'm a man and belong to this group? And how many women agree? If you agree you are insulting myself and all men even though I am the one who made the comment and belong to the group.
    Nope, would not say all men are stupid.

Many are geniuses.
    Many are brilliant.
    Many are intelligent.
    Many are average.
    Many are a bit thick.
    Few are intellectually on a par with Neanderthals.
    A small number operate on nothing but brain stem level.

Each man knows where he fits.

Each woman knows where each man fits.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and middbrew like this.
    11-06-12 11:05 AM
    It would depend on ones definition of large and as blue is thought of as a predominant label as male and pink for girls so it could be that some women may think that the implication in the statement is that they are not as feminine as those who may wear pink hats so yes it could be seen as an insult that depends on their veiw of their personal self construct.
    11-06-12 11:06 AM
    Yeah, double standards.
    11-06-12 11:07 AM
    It would depend on ones definition of large and as blue is thought of as a predominant label as male and pink for girls so it could be that some women may think that the implication in the statement is that they are not as feminine as those who may wear pink hats so yes it could be seen as an insult that depends on their veiw of their personal self construct.
    So unless one doesn't use words like gorgeous, sexy, good looking etc, anything can be perceived as an insult by a woman? Even for mentioning a blue hat? Lol
    11-06-12 11:08 AM
    You know something? A heartfelt apology goes a long way. We all offend people (self included... no one say a word!), sometimes unknowingly. Doesn't mean it doesn't cause hurt. If you have been confronted by something you said, and you truly did not mean for it to perceived the way it was, an apology is NOT a sign of weakness.

Just food for thought.
    I think I would definitely agree, to know a weakness is a sign of strength, to share a weakness is an example to those who feel insecure
    11-06-12 11:15 AM
    There is no way to generalize any group of people, whether based upon sex, age, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation. Generalizations such as that inevitably lead to prejudice and discrimination.
    Yes you can and it doesn't have to be a bad thing, most large men drive big cars. That's a generalisation. Or most greenies drive a Prius, that's a generalisation.
    11-06-12 11:16 AM
    If you go to a "women who wear blue hats" forum, and say "Hey, in my personal observation, I've noticed that most women who wear blue hats are large. Just sayin', that's what I've noticed around here." How would you expect them to react? When you made the comment that in your observation women who use large devices are large themselves, how did you expect the women here who use large devices to react? Why even make that comment at all?
    daveycrocket likes this.
    11-06-12 11:18 AM
522 ... 7891011 ...