I couldn't find another thread, but I am sure I am not the only one who intensely dislikes, nee hates the expanding ads that appear at the top of the Forums section. Keeps jerking my screen around. I thought it was removed, now it is back. Web sight commander (whoever you are) get rid of this irritation! It makes it impossible to navigate around. It's very frustrating and enough to make this preacher cuss!!!
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    12-04-13 01:29 PM
    This website is one of the big reasons why I finally gave up and started blocking ads. I use AdBlock Plus on Chrome on desktop and I use AdAway on my Android devices. It sucks, because most websites depend on ads to exist and most websites aren't nearly as aggressive as this one is with ads, but what are ya gonna do? The websites that are bad about over doing it with ads hurts all websites.

I guess it is better business to force frequent users to use ad blocking software and just bum rush all of the people who stop by infrequently and don't block ads yet.
    Last edited by Saiga; 12-04-13 at 01:50 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-04-13 01:39 PM
    I am moving this to site feedback, but please note that this has been brought up and is being looked at.
    12-04-13 01:41 PM
    I wouldn't mind it as much if the ads were static but the constant expanding and closing jerks the screen around too often.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    12-04-13 01:58 PM
    I am moving this to site feedback, but please note that this has been brought up and is being looked at.
    I seemed to remember another thread on this, but "being looked at" is not enough. It makes the viewing experience a real pain in the sphincter and frankly makes me want to never look at CrackBerry on my computer. It certainly irritates me enough to avoid Best Buy or whoever appears in the ad.

I recognize the need for monetization of the web site, but it should not be at the expense of the consumer's interface experience. How about this: Just say "No!" to expanding ads!!
    12-04-13 03:49 PM
    Why don't you just install adblocker? Donate a couple of bucks to the developer and never see the ads again.
    12-04-13 03:55 PM
    Why don't you just install adblocker? Donate a couple of bucks to the developer and never see the ads again.
    Isn't it a shame that to see a website that I frequent, that I support through purchases, that I am a member of, that I would have to download an app in order to navigate without experiencing the incessant shifting that the ad (Best Buy) causes. Frankly it shouldn't be allowed by CrackBerry, but it is what it is.

At best the decision to allow expanding ads occurred without realizing the problems it would cause the computer visitor. At worst it could signal that the owners of this site just don't give a rip about site members, that money speaks louder than member experience. I tend to think the former, not the latter.

If the issue persists, then I will be forced to download an ad blocker and my opinion of the site will take a downward turn.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    12-04-13 06:02 PM
    Isn't it a shame that to see a website that I frequent, that I support through purchases, that I am a member of, that I would have to download an app in order to navigate without experiencing the incessant shifting that the ad (Best Buy) causes. Frankly it shouldn't be allowed by CrackBerry, but it is what it is.

At best the decision to allow expanding ads occurred without realizing the problems it would cause the computer visitor. At worst it could signal that the owners of this site just don't give a rip about site members, that money speaks louder than member experience. I tend to think the former, not the latter.

If the issue persists, then I will be forced to download an ad blocker and my opinion of the site will take a downward turn.

I get your frustration because the ads are terrible but I think you'll like adblocker. You'll find a lot more used for it than just blocking them on Crackberry. It's free but I always donate a little for any computer I put it on because the developer makes his living off it. Give it a try, it really works well.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-04-13 06:10 PM
    I posted the very same thing about a week ago! It is driving me nuts.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-04-13 06:14 PM
    It is a royal pain. It drives me insane.
    BergerKing and mikeplus1 like this.
    12-05-13 03:28 AM
    One thing I have noticed is this: when using Internet Explorer instead of Chrome, I don't have the problem. The ad doesn't show up. It's IE for CrackBerry viewing on my PC until I download AdBlocker.

12-05-13 08:45 AM
    It is a royal pain. It drives me insane.
    I agree with the former, but as for the latter, too late. I'm already there. It may be a short drive for you, too.

12-05-13 08:47 AM
    We understand the frustration have asked our ad partner to not sell ads like these in the future. We have asked them to modify the creative, so that it stays expanded once opened. Unfortunately this campaign is already under contract, so we can't simply pull it without being in breach.
    12-06-13 07:24 AM
    In the first place I can't stand ads (yes, I understand the need for it), but this one has to be the worst yet. I even emailed Kevin and he explained it to me just like Marcus has above.
    12-06-13 07:36 AM
    We understand the frustration have asked our ad partner to not sell ads like these in the future. We have asked them to modify the creative, so that it stays expanded once opened. Unfortunately this campaign is already under contract, so we can't simply pull it without being in breach.

Too bad the negotiators did not think to stipulate ad dimension limitations. That's just funny.
    12-06-13 08:45 AM
    So, out of idle curiosity, just what is the duration of the expanding ads (Best Buy is the worst) contract? Is it till Christmas? Till the end of the year? Months?
    12-12-13 11:09 AM
    Rather than install an adblocker, I decided to completely dump flash player. After uninstalling it, the expanding ads here are gone of course, and "the internet" in general is now a much cleaner place as viewed through my browser. I can live without the handful of youtube videos which won't play now without flash player.
    12-12-13 10:58 PM
    A couple of us mod from our mobile devices, and the ad makes it ultimately frustrating, bounces around like a belly dancer on a Red Bull and Starbucks bender.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    12-12-13 11:03 PM
    A couple of us mod from our mobile devices, and the ad makes it ultimately frustrating, bounces around like a belly dancer on a Red Bull and Starbucks bender.
    1. Hire a better attorney to review these contracts immediately.
    2. Have new attorney review existing contracts to determine if advertisers are in breach with such advertising that affects the use of the site by not only the users, without which there will be no ads, but also even the mods cannot effectively do their jobs with these type ads.
    3. Have new attorney communicate to advertisers that this type of ads are not good for CB or the advertisers for the long-term of the site, affecting both CB and advertisers.
    4. Have new attorney advise the advertisers that if they do not remove such ads it could affect future advertising contracts with said advertisers.
    5. Get rid of said ads now and obviously review all future ads to include language that gives CB more control over all future ads on their site.

TY
    12-29-13 11:40 AM