I have to speak out about this ridiculousness:

Recently news came out that S4BB has 47,000 apps, while Mippin based apps number in the 17,00 range in BB World. A lot of news sites have been publishing that since Blackberry has 120,000 apps, these two "developers" account for approximately half of all BB apps in BB world. Though I realize this does not detract from the fact that the S4BB number is astounding, it pisses me off when this sort of misinformation gets spread around like many other things about blackberry that make the situation seem worse than it actually is. No these two "developers" do not account for half the blackberry apps. The 120,000 number is only BB10 apps, people!!! From what I last heard the total (including legacy BBOS apps) number of apps in BB world numbers in the 250,000+. To support this, I remember that before BB10 was released and before the Playbook had any significant number of apps that BB World had 100,000+ apps available for all the OS's. In addition, Mippin is not a single "developer" and they did not publish these apps through one account. Mippin's app generator is an app creator that creates an optimized experience across all of blackberry's platforms (including the playbook), and the whole point of the generator is to do precisely this: create lots of apps. These are not garbage apps, but they are simply apps that use a website's news or RSS feed to create the most consistent experience across blackberry's p[platforms. These apps are not simply audio books or GPS map apps, but are fully featured, optimized apps. The app generator, believe it or not, is what will bring many companies such as news sites to blackberry's platform in a short time period and at extremely low cost. If anyone remembers (and look it up), OK! Magazine UK created their blackberry app using this generator and got 250,000 downloads in 6 months and their app looks very nice on BB10 and has great reviews.

I believe it's up to the Crackberry team to correct misinformation like this before it spreads. Crackberry Kevin where are you??!!!

Yes, the numbers are astounding, but there is no reason to blow them out of proportion, and this sort of news should be corrected here before it gets carried by other news sites.

Just my two cents...
    08-22-13 11:55 PM
    Well it did make the front page http://crackberry.com/blackberry-com...ific-developer

This whole thing does seem like its being blown way out of proportion though
    08-23-13 12:01 AM
    I'm writing an article right now. Not quite about this, though as mentioned we did talk about this on the site already (per link above). But we're here... working on lots of stuff!
    08-23-13 09:28 AM
    And there you have it, folks
    08-23-13 09:37 AM
    I know you guys are hard at work. I did see that post. My points were in addition to the ones you mentioned in that post. The point that really bugged me was the incorrect statement that over 50% of Blackberry Apps are by two "developers." Its actually much less than that (ie there are well over 250,000 apps in BB world and the 120,000 only refers to BB10 compatible apps). Why is Simon Sage and everyone in the media making this mistake? You know that a fraction fo S4BB's apps work on BB10. Can you at least sneak this point in one of your articles? Blackberry as a company would never make this point since it would make them sound ridiculous ("well, only around 20% are by these two developers"), but the public should at least not quote inaccuracies such as this.
    08-23-13 12:06 PM
    I understand your point about the 250K apps but IMO the legacy apps dont matter. The only apps that matter in the comparison are BB10 apps
    kbz1960 and mikeo007 like this.
    08-23-13 12:10 PM
    I compeltely agree, but if you are ignoring legacy apps, then you have to ignore all of S4BB's apps that only work for the legacy OS (of which there are thousands). You can't use the data that includes the legacy OS AND BB10 and then talk about BB10 only. This is why the 50% number sounds ridiculous, when it's actually a lot lower. That's my point. If they had determined which of S4BB's apps are compatible with BB10 (which are also likely in the thousands), then relate that to the total number of BB10 apps then I would have no argument, but this is obviously not the case.
    08-23-13 05:38 PM
    No these two "developers" do not account for half the blackberry apps. The 120,000 number is only BB10 apps, people!!! From what I last heard the total (including legacy BBOS apps) number of apps in BB world numbers in the 250,000+. To support this, I remember that before BB10 was released and before the Playbook had any significant number of apps that BB World had 100,000+ apps available for all the OS's.
    Where are you getting the 250,000+ number from. In interviews from March of this year D, Martyn Mallick, BlackBerry's Vice President of Global Alliances and Business Development seemed to confirm the number as being 100K, total.
    BlackBerry 10 App Numbers Growing, Android Ports Falling

Then in May of this year, that number ticked up to 120K. Note that in none of these articles or pronouncements from BlackBerry executives was there any delineation between BB10 apps and those for the legacy OSs
    BlackBerry Live: 120,000 Apps in BlackBerry World, Gaining on Windows Phone | Mobile & Apps

I am not at all saying you are wrong, I just can't find info on the 250K.
    08-23-13 10:28 PM
    250K is total appworld...this includes all playbook and legacy. Like i said for this convo, the 47K bb10 apps matches the 120K (i think its over 130 actually) bb10 apps
    08-23-13 10:35 PM
    I compeltely agree, but if you are ignoring legacy apps, then you have to ignore all of S4BB's apps that only work for the legacy OS (of which there are thousands). You can't use the data that includes the legacy OS AND BB10 and then talk about BB10 only. This is why the 50% number sounds ridiculous, when it's actually a lot lower. That's my point. If they had determined which of S4BB's apps are compatible with BB10 (which are also likely in the thousands), then relate that to the total number of BB10 apps then I would have no argument, but this is obviously not the case.
    S4BB have 48,239 apps. Of them, 47,014 are for BB10. So what exactly was your point again? Do some research man, instead of just spouting off gubbins.
    08-24-13 09:39 PM
    Hmm... I realize I may have made a mistake, but noone clarified that the number of 47,000 was for BB10 apps. When the news first came out, people were saying that S4BB had 47,000 apps in BB world and then people extrapolated based on that that since the number of 120,000 was quoted by the dev relations teams (which only referred to BB10 apps) this meant blackberry had approx half of their apps by one developer. Where did you get these numbers from? I'd like to see a source. They definitely have over 250,000 TOTAL (legacy, playbook, and BB10) apps in BB world though, so whoever claims that 120,000 refers to all the apps in BB world is 100% wrong.
    08-24-13 10:56 PM