CrackBerry Forums Upgrade Bug Reporting and Feedback
10-10-12 02:29 PM
- CrackBerry KevinCrackBerry FounderHey All,
So we did it! The CrackBerry Forums have been upgraded!
On our end we have a list of to-dos that we'll be tackling over the next couple of days. There are sure to be some bugs and there a few tweaks I want to make.
Note: The primary focus on this upgrade push was with the FULL desktop forums. We do have some more planned upgrades coming shortly to the mobile template for viewing the forums from the device (and don't forget you can also get our forums apps for your BlackBerry Smartphones and PlayBook).
Bugs and Feedback: As you use the forums, please report any bugs on this thread. And as you use forums, if you come across things you love, things your'e not liking, ideas you have for feedback, please also let us know on this thread and we'll take it into account.
Upgrade Highlights: This upgrade introduces a lot of changes. Here's an overview of some of the highlights:
* Upgraded forum software from vBulletin 3.8 to 4.2 - Behind the scenes there are a lot of changes, and also lots of little enhancements throughout for users
* Introduction of "Forum Super Navigation - This is one of my pet projects I wanted to do forever. It's especially noticeable / useful when you're logged in. Instead of having our forums sub navigation sandwiched into the header of the site, it's now at the top of the forums. And we've moved all of the core vBulletin hidden menu links into a user control panel of sorts up here. You can check your PMs easily, and under the Settings link you'll find all your options to customize the site. We've also put in easy to find links here for your threads, subscribed threads, etc. There's also a "Forums Finder" search box in the super navigation which is incredibly handy. Just start typing the name of the form you want to go to and you'll get it on the list and be there in a quick click. We've also surfaced some of the forums built-in social activity here. Instead of Groups and Albums being hidden under menus, they are right there. And be sure to click on Stream. That's a new way to browse the forums that's kind of cool.
* Cleaner / More Modern Template - We've cleaned up the forums template to put the focus on the CONTENT. The old forums had a bit of "heavy" look to them, so we've really lightened things up here. As you read through threads, you'll really notice the thread title and post content jump out at you.
* Wider Forums - The old forums were capped at a fixed width of around a thousand pixels. We've now made it dynamic, so if your browser is bigger the forum width expands with your browser, up to a max of 1400 pixels (we tested going wider all the way to 100%, but found the forums just start to look weird any bigger). Note - when you're logged out of the forums the "sidebar" on the right is present, but when you're logged in it still goes away.
* User Info on the Left - On the old forums template, the user information was above the post information. So as you scrolled top to bottom through a thread, between each post was the user profile information. This created a bit of a broken browsing experience, in the sense that your eyes had to jump from post to post. Thanks to the extra width we now have, we moved this profile information to the left, helping to create that cleaner reading experience.
Beyond that there's still a lot of changes, but that's already a lot to take in. Put them to use. If you find bugs PLEASE report them here, and we'll continue working to make sure these forums are the absolute best they can be!
MESSAGE TO LONG TIME MEMBERS: Be sure to use the forums for a bit before you cast any judgement yay or nay. Trust me on this one. I know it's a different look - little bigger fonts, more spacing in certain areas, etc. CrackBerry has the benefit of being the third site in the Mobile Nations network to get this update to our new format, so we've already refined things a lot over the past several months as we've used it on Android Central and iMore and received feedback from users. Once you use them for a bit I guarantee you'll get used to it and love it (trust me.. having spent a ton of time on the other forums, coming back to CrackBerry on the old format was getting HARD). We didn't want to make change for the sake of change here. We wanted to introduce change for the better and think we've done that!
Thanks for being a member of the CrackBerry community!
Kevin10-05-12 05:42 AM
- Loving the new upgrade Kevin
Just a couple of bugs I've noticed relating to the User Profile details that show to the left of member's posts...
1) Current Device doesn't show any more, but instead shows as the user's PIN
2) Carrier doesn't show any more, but instead shows as the user's Twitter account name
3) iOS Version now shows, but actually shows as the user's Facebook account name10-05-12 07:08 AM
- I am having success using the forums with Chrome, but I seem to no longer be able to log in to the forums on Firefox. I log into the site itself, but that does not log me into the forums? With Chrome I got redirected to a second login for the forums, but on Firefox it errors out saying the page is redirecting in such a way that it will never resolve (whatever that means). I had no trouble with Firefox and the forums prior to the upgrade, and was able to log in on the main CB page and still be logged in when I got to the forums. Is anyone else having these issues?10-05-12 07:23 AM
- I am having success using the forums with Chrome, but I seem to no longer be able to log in to the forums on Firefox. I log into the site itself, but that does not log me into the forums? With Chrome I got redirected to a second login for the forums, but on Firefox it errors out saying the page is redirecting in such a way that it will never resolve (whatever that means). I had no trouble with Firefox and the forums prior to the upgrade, and was able to log in on the main CB page and still be logged in when I got to the forums. Is anyone else having these issues?10-05-12 07:35 AM
- I'm having problems with the new format, Using my desktop browsers- Opera, Firefox and Internet Explorer- all show me as not logged in on this site, and my view of the site is as a non-registered visitor.would see (with the ads on the right. When I click on "log in" at the top of the page, instead of being taken to a log-in page, I'm taken to my profile page. Similarly, when I click on "Reply" in any post, I get an error saying, basically, cannot redirect. Thus I can't post using any of these browsers. I haven't changed the settings for my account or the browsers- cookies are enabled. Conversely, Chrome on my desktop works as it should,and this site loads as it should, as does the browser on my Playbook. Anyone else having problems with Opera, Firefox, or IE?
edit- I see fotyc is having the same problem with Firefox.
edit 2- same issue with Simple Browser on my PB.
Last edited by pacoman03; 10-05-12 at 07:48 AM.10-05-12 07:37 AM
I seem to have solved my forum login problem - after logging into the site itself, I clicked on "My Account" at the top of the screen, then it showed me the ordinary page for my member profile - I clicked on "Modify your CrackBerry.com Forum Settings" and it asked me to log in again, to the forums, and after that I was ok. Try that... Of course, we'll see if it works next time I come to the site in a fresh browser session... I had to do this in both Chrome and FF to get access to the forums.10-05-12 07:54 AM
- 10-05-12 07:55 AM
The depth of your post is now determined by the amount of default info that shows... which does look kinda weird on a one line post10-05-12 07:58 AM
- 10-05-12 08:02 AM
Other than 2 small ads at the very top and bottom of each page, I'm not seeing any on Chrome.10-05-12 08:11 AM
Have you tried the site on your 9900? I have the bug there as well and even tried the suggestion to "Modify your CrackBerry.com Forum Settings" and it didn't seem to work.
Tried logging out on my desktop and firefox and the logout doesn't work, keeps me logged in. I was just doing this to see the forum view when not logged in.10-05-12 08:15 AM
- CrackBerry.com Site Related Talk
- Site Feedback & Help
CrackBerry Forums Upgrade Bug Reporting and Feedback
- By brett3rs in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 37Last Post: 11-29-08, 05:33 PM
- By danger_13 in forum Theme Developers CornerReplies: 2Last Post: 10-13-08, 08:06 PM
- By bethany0729 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 19Last Post: 07-18-08, 02:15 PM
- By Flurrycat in forum Site Feedback & HelpReplies: 19Last Post: 04-29-08, 10:38 PM
- By pinkdaisy226 in forum Rehab & Off-Topic LoungeReplies: 18Last Post: 04-19-08, 04:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD