Hi All,

We have around 100 Blackberry z30/Q10's.

Today Vodafone released the 1GB OS updated and all our phones want to automatically download and install it. Even if they are not on WiFi.

How to i stop this from happening?

There doesn't appear to be anything in the BES to do this. The one vague reference to updates says;

Wireless Software Updates

Specify whether a BlackBerry device can download BlackBerry Device Software updates over the wireless network. If you set this rule to Allow all, the device can download all software updates that BlackBerry or a wireless service provider makes available. If you set this rule to Allow security updates only, the device can download only security-related software updates that BlackBerry or the wireless service provider makes available. If you set this rule to Disallow, the device cannot download any software updates over the wireless network.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of "Allow all (default)" will be used.
    This rule applies to a feature that requires BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 or later.

I've applied this, but my phone still tries to download and install it

Any suggestions? This 1GB update may cost my company �5,000
    02-19-15 10:15 AM
    As far as I know, it going to ask users to connect to WiFi to download.

I got the update on my Q10 this morning and couldn't update till I connected to WiFi.
    Maybe it was already implemented in our IT policy? Not sure...
    Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 10:19 AM
    Settings>Software Updates>Options>Disable auto-downloading and install of software update.
    irweezyy and Heinz Katchup like this.
    02-19-15 10:19 AM
    The updates are not automatic. The user has to manually hit the download buttom. Only the notification is.

Fire a broadcast telling them to only start the process over WiFi PRONTO (add in the reason for that and I am sure they will comply).

Settings>Software Updates>Options>Disable auto-downloading and install of software update.
    Or that. Yeah. That works fine.

Listen to the boss!
    02-19-15 10:20 AM
    What kind of company are working for?

In my contract (germany) internet usage is free - without any limits. Sure, the will slow down the Connection after 1 GB of traffic. Then it is 4,95 EUR to get another another 1 GB.

So in your example, i would no more than 500 EUR for updating 100 devices OTA - without WLAN-usage.
    02-19-15 10:22 AM
    Yikes!

Somebody made a change in this deliberately, because by default OS upgrades won't come over mobile AT ALL.

Who implemented your phones? There's an excellent chance they enabled this deliberately.
    02-19-15 10:25 AM
    First thing to do is send a mass text or email out to everyone telling them not to download it except over wifi I'd have thought. That should buy you some time at least. And hope there's a degree of common sense amongst the users.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 10:27 AM
    Is there a way to push this out via the BES?
    02-19-15 10:29 AM
    Is there a way to push this out via the BES?
    Not sure, can't find anything in the Knowledge Base on it.
    02-19-15 10:32 AM
    Update system policy to deny downloading updates, temporarily, blast a BBM to all explaining why, they should still be able to download over WIFI once connected.

Wireless Software Updates

Specify whether a BlackBerry device can download BlackBerry Device Software updates over the wireless network. If you set this rule to Allow all, the device can download all software updates that BlackBerry or a wireless service provider makes available. If you set this rule to Allow security updates only, the device can download only security-related software updates that BlackBerry or the wireless service provider makes available. If you set this rule to Disallow, the device cannot download any software updates over the wireless network.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of "Allow all (default)" will be used.
    02-19-15 10:57 AM
    Thanks for the info.

It seems most of the phones are set to auto update. I've sent an email out to everyone not to download it and manually change the setting.

Still looking for a way to control that settings via the BES
    02-19-15 11:19 AM
    Any update attempt on Wireless and not WiFi will give a warning message about data usage over mobile and make the user turn on WiFi. I believe only under a certain size will be allowed over mobile data, and even then the warning would be displayed. Have never had an auto update happen on BES. I always have to manually hit update.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 12:07 PM
    Any update attempt on Wireless and not WiFi will give a warning message about data usage over mobile and make the user turn on WiFi. I believe only under a certain size will be allowed over mobile data, and even then the warning would be displayed. Have never had an auto update happen on BES. I always have to manually hit update.

Posted via CB10
    The message they get just says there's an update available and if you have auto-update I think it just does it without your permission.
    02-20-15 04:03 AM
    What kind of company are working for?

In my contract (germany) internet usage is free - without any limits. Sure, the will slow down the Connection after 1 GB of traffic. Then it is 4,95 EUR to get another another 1 GB.

So in your example, i would no more than 500 EUR for updating 100 devices OTA - without WLAN-usage.
    We have a large sales department that travel through Europe. No operator lets you download 1GB abroad on the cheap. So I expect most of our users to hit the �50 EU data cap.

Blackberry have really let them self down by not having the ability to centrally control an OS update
    02-20-15 04:27 AM
    Anyone know how to control this setting via BES? I've asked people to manually do it. But this really needs to be forced.
    02-20-15 05:08 AM
    Even with an unlimited data plan the default setting will not let you actually download the update over mobile network. They will get the notification, but won't actually be able to download it until they connect to a wifi network.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport
    02-20-15 05:24 AM
    Even with an unlimited data plan the default setting will not let you actually download the update over mobile network. They will get the notification, but won't actually be able to download it until they connect to a wifi network.

Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport
    I guess it's a mobile operator setting. Vodafone allow it to happen over mobile data.

Also, after the 1GB update, it then downloads another 1.6GB.
    02-20-15 05:32 AM
    I guess it's a mobile operator setting. Vodafone allow it to happen over mobile data.

Also, after the 1GB update, it then downloads another 1.6GB.
    You're right my operator Umobile malaysia also allow to download 1GB over cellular data

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    02-20-15 05:36 AM
    Here in Romania, Orange doesn't charge for system updates downloaded via 3G/4G and doesn't substract data from your monthly plan.

Posted via Q10
    02-20-15 05:52 AM
    According to this thread on the BB support forums, the BES policy for OS updates only works for fully regulated devices. If you allow Balance with both work and personal spaces then you cannot control OS updates.
    02-20-15 05:59 AM
    Yikes!

Somebody made a change in this deliberately, because by default OS upgrades won't come over mobile AT ALL.

Who implemented your phones? There's an excellent chance they enabled this deliberately.
    I think it's the default setting as I went round and changed it on a load of Q10's last night and today installed the update, and it re enabled itself.
    02-20-15 06:29 AM
    Several Z30 / Q10's have now been updated. All have switched the OTA from OFF to ON.
    02-20-15 06:57 AM
    Yikes!

Interesting. Our phones all switched to auto with 10.2 rollout.

Z30 STA100-5 on OS 10.3.1 . 2582 / SR 10.3.1.1784
    03-22-15 05:13 PM
    You can control this in BES if you are Admin.

Z30 STA100-5 on OS 10.3.2.281 / SR 10.3.2.158
    04-05-15 09:46 AM
    You can control this in BES if you are Admin.

Z30 STA100-5 on OS 10.3.2.281 / SR 10.3.2.158

FALSE! You cannot ... not on BES10 or any other BES prior ... lookup all IT Policy configurations. Most providers do not block OS updates downloads.
    06-03-15 04:17 PM