Today Sony announced that's it's stopping it's production of most of its electronic divisions, and soon enough smart phones.
    It's said because they can't compete with Samsung, apple and the other Chinese manufactures that produce cheap phones.
    Instead they'll focus on Sony pictures entertainment, the Playstation division and selling camera sensors to apple for their iPhone ( which is annoying)
    I feel bad for Sony as I'm really a big fan of their products. Sony really puts amazing efforts to their builds, even the quality build is simply awesome.
    Tbh I never thought such new would come from a big company like sony. What do you guys thing about this?
    Source: Sony is no longer an electronics company | The Verge

|Posted Via Z10STL100-2|10.3.1.1151|
    theRock1975 likes this.
    02-19-15 02:32 AM
    Thats strange.

SONY always stood for quality. DVD or BluRay Player, TVs, Soundbars, etc.

Never used their smartphones or Adnroid in general. But I liked their campaign. It was classy and if I would switch to ANdroid it would be Sony. Period.

Didnt they also brought out a fun looking triangle tablet 3 years ago? I guess they stop it also. Very sad.

But then again. Their "false flag" of this crappy movie about north korea with these c-celebs brought them good money. And the sheeps felt for it and went to see this garbage movie. Same with 50 shades of filth. You can't stop the zombies and sheeples. So all good here I guess.
    GSM-S likes this.
    02-19-15 02:41 AM
    Thats strange.

SONY always stood for quality. DVD or BluRay Player, TVs, Soundbars, etc.

Never used their smartphones or Adnroid in general. But I liked their campaign. It was classy and if I would switch to ANdroid it would be Sony. Period.
    My all DVD player from Sony is still working fine and great, I also do agree on their phones.
    I personally tried the z2 and it was an amazing phone. I even added it to the next phone to buy after the z10 it even pair with the Playstation 4 which is amazing thing to do on a smartphone.

02-19-15 02:45 AM
    My all DVD player from Sony is still working fine and great, I also do agree on their phones.
    I personally tried the z2 and it was an amazing phone. I even added it to the next phone to buy after the z10 it even pair with the Playstation 4 which is amazing thing to do on a smartphone.

My bestest friend. I am a great friend of brand loyality.

I loved sticking with the Playstation for a example. From the First, PS2 and PS3. (PS4 I skipped. Maybe I am getting older, lol. But also because of paying for online play and no more innovative games).

I loved their DVD Players. It is quality you can trust for many years! Thats Sony for me. Also the Sony Smartphone has a great design! Sony was never cheap, but thats fine. If you want cheap, you pay twice.

It is sad to hear that they wanna cut tech. BUt they will do great with content and gaming though.

02-19-15 02:55 AM
    Sony got too cocky from 1980 to the mid-2000, thought their Trinitron TVs would continue to rule thus missing early development of LCDs. They were even first to come up with a commercial OLED screen (15") but gave that up and now the Koreans have taken over. Even when they started producing LCD or LED TVs from 2006 to 2009, they priced their sets 30% more than upstart Samsung and LG thinking they still had a captive TV market. What I didn't like about Sony in their heyday was the cost of peripherals and parts. Buying a spare battery for my laptop cost 2.5x more than the competition. Repairing video cameras was also every expensive. Proprietary stuff such as mini-discs was also a huge failure and turned consumers off. As for quality, their Trinitron sets which were of very high quality from 70s to late 90s for some reason turned bad in early 2000. I had two 29" TVs bust after 3 years from 2000 to 2005. I also bought 2 top of the line digital cameras which went bust after a year. I can go on and but Sony just got too cocky and disconnected from the market. And they're still somewhat disconnected from the market. They came up with top of line LED TVs with speakers on the side. Buyers shelling out more than $4k for these sets would likely have a high-end home theatre system so no need for the TV speakers. These speaker TVs are also hard to mount on the wall because of the wedge shape. I loved Sony from 70s to 90s, only products I would buy but the cost of buying parts and repairs made me look at other manufacturers after 2005. Just got fed up. The only Sony product I have now is PS4 which is very good and that's the electronics product Sony is banking on in the future.
    blackguy07 likes this.
    02-19-15 03:01 AM
    remember the Mini Discs?
    In school there was my buddy. The ******* had one of these pricey MDs! Very arrogant he listened to his prestigious MD Player from Sony. We respected him for that! It was quality and something unique.

Funny that it was a failure. But sure. Proprietary stuff should always fail.

But they made awesome stuff in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s! Kudos to that.
    02-19-15 03:41 AM
    Anyone have a Betamax

�I am what I am, and that's all that I am.�
    02-19-15 03:52 AM
    remember the Mini Discs?
    In school there was my buddy. The ******* had one of these pricey MDs! Very arrogant he listened to his prestigious MD Player from Sony. We respected him for that! It was quality and something unique.

Funny that it was a failure. But sure. Proprietary stuff should always fail.

But they made awesome stuff in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s! Kudos to that.
    Their current products are amazing too, specially headsets

02-19-15 06:10 AM
    Not necessarily a Sony fan, but I did buy some of there products if the price was right. I feel Sony has better quality versus Samsung and especially Apple.

Apple has causes a lot of damage to the mobile industry in general.

Posted by Q5
    02-19-15 06:39 AM
    Sony was very arrogant about Blu-Ray despite Toshiba's HD DVD was cheaper to produce and a far better product in general.

Sony has humbled quite a bit lately. Apple on the other hand is an out of control arrogant *****.

Posted by Q5
    02-19-15 06:44 AM
    Sony's product has always been uncomplete, sometimes too smart and therefore not useful.

The problem is, they don't have a style. They try and combine everything that doesn't match.

In their Vaio, they had pre-installed Vaio software, that they think were smart.. but in real, they were annoying and just made the computers slower. And Vaio was too expensive compared with Macbook. Finally the prices got competitive, but then they sold out the Vaio section.

In their TV's, they have smart features that don't work. They have Skype app, but not internal webcam. They don't even have a button in the remoter for turning off the screen while listening to a music channel. You are marketing about green Eco, but such a simple feature is not possible. Uncomplete.

The Xperia phones was just Android with a ugly Sony user interface until the release of Xperia Z3. The display was the worst in Xperia's.. and you are a tv-manufacture. It took Sony several years to make a phone with features that it's competitors made in 2012. Now finally they made a nice Xperia Compact Z3 phone.. and they want to sell out??

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 06:59 AM
    It is sad times.
    Sony got killed by Samsung.

I guess the only HW division they will have is the PS.
    02-19-15 07:11 AM
    "But it's too little, too late: the customers Sony needs have been buying Samsung products for too long now."

Sounds like the typical conclusion to a Verge 'article'. I don't really think people that buy Samsung now are more or less likely to buy Samsung in the future. Most likely they got the Samsung device because it was thrown at their face for nothing and perhaps some added cash-back/freebies.

The only think I've been relatively loyal to (and haven't been disappointed yet) are Samsung displays and TVs... although their "smart TV" software is brutally bad, (I use Rokus instead).

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 07:27 AM
    Not necessarily a Sony fan, but I did buy some of there products if the price was right. I feel Sony has better quality versus Samsung and especially Apple.

Apple has causes a lot of damage to the mobile industry in general.

Posted by Q5
    Sony was very arrogant about Blu-Ray despite Toshiba's HD DVD was cheaper to produce and a far better product in general.

Sony has humbled quite a bit lately. Apple on the other hand is an out of control arrogant *****.

Posted by Q5
    Let me guess... you don't like Apple.

One reason it is a good idea to diversify... at least Sony has some division that are making money. I remember a time when pretty much all my home entertainment was built by Sony.... long ago.

Even BlackBerry might have stumbled upon their future when they bought QNX to help them with their new smartphone OS. While I doubt they'll be a smarthphone manufacturer very long... if they remain an independent company it will be because of QNX combined with their own networks to create a secure solution for M2M and IoT.
    02-19-15 08:40 AM

Posted by Q5
    HD DVD was very limited in hardware. The disk itself can only handle so much space while blu-ray could handle so much more. HD DVD came out sooner so it had more in terms of features. But it was only a matter of time that blu-ray would catch up. Both used Microsoft codecs. Sony went to Toshiba to collaborate a mechanism that would work on both disks buy Toshiba wanted nothing of it. Toshiba were the ones that were arrogant.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 08:54 AM
    That wonderful Verge spin.

Sony is a non american company....so The verge spin negative on it. Read verge long enough you'll see the trend.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    02-19-15 09:14 AM
    They make the best eReaders. Never abandoned physical buttons, and I love that

Their eReader store was shuttered a while ago and I had a feeling something like this was coming. Really sad news

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-19-15 10:10 AM
    Let me guess... you don't like Apple.
    nt300 will bring Apple into every thread and bash them. Kind of pointless.
    mornhavon and Rello like this.
    02-19-15 10:22 AM
    I was once a big fan and frequent purchaser of Sony products. But then I learned about them installing root kits on PCs. What scum. And the blue ray player my wife bought last year is pure junk. It routinely freezed and must be unplugged from the wall to reboot. Good riddance !
    02-19-15 10:32 AM
    I'll be getting my new Sony Blu-Ray player today. What amazes me is that they can make any kind of device like that for $90. Even if I have to replace it every year it would still be a bargain.
    02-19-15 11:06 AM
    I'll be getting my new Sony Blu-Ray player today. What amazes me is that they can make any kind of device like that for $90. Even if I have to replace it every year it would still be a bargain.
    Probably one of the reasons why their electronics are going the way of the dodo, though. Not much profit on those things, I shouldn't imagine.
    02-19-15 11:19 AM
    The restructure is baffling. Sony kept all its most lucrative divisions and sold/spun off all its struggling ones; however, the struggling divisions are what most people have always identified with Sony. Investors told Sony, 'Sell off the foreign film studio that's unrelated core business'; but Sony said 'We are the film studio.'

What Sony is left with is an American film studio, Playstation, and image sensors that go into competitor products. The combination is so random and lacks synergy. In particular, the decision to keep the Playstation division, which has a cloudier future ahead of it, seems rather shortsighted.

Sony is a non american company....so The verge spin negative on it.
    With the way Sony has restructured itself, it might as well be American.
    02-19-15 11:20 AM
    The restructure is baffling. Sony kept all its most lucrative divisions and sold/spun off all its struggling ones; however, the struggling divisions are what most people have always identified with Sony. What Sony is left with is an American film studio, Playstation, and image sensors that go into competitor products. The combination is so random and lacks synergy. In particular, the decision to keep the Playstation division, which has a cloudier future ahead of it, seems rather shortsighted.
    If John Chen's recovery plan does not work as quickly as he would like, expect BlackBerry to shed some divisions as well. What the general public identifies with...handhelds and BBM...could be axed at some point. Any company on the road to recovery must shoot where the ducks are flying.
    02-19-15 11:31 AM
    Isn't the Verge UK based?
    02-19-15 11:34 AM
    I'll keep all of my Sony Electronics instead of giving it away.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 11:35 AM
120 123 ...