Is Google talk going offline on Monday, for BlackBerry ?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 03:46 PM
    I've been wondering the same.

Seems like they're not just discontinuing their gtalk app, but actually discontinuing support for the XMPP protocol that allowed jabber clients to interface with gtalk.

For the past few months I've noticed that the bb10 gtalk app has a hard time connecting to the server. It always requires two attempts. The lack of any updates whatsoever from BlackBerry in a very long time might also be a very big hint that they know it was a dead end.

Hope someone has some insight into what will or will not be "unplugged" by gtalk.

Posted via CB10
    OneofLittleHarmony likes this.
    02-14-15 03:57 PM
    Yes ! This^^

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 04:04 PM
    I just read the AC article about the Google Talk for Windows "deprecating" later this month and will eventually not work at all, so I'm assuming it would also apply for BlackBerries too
    02-14-15 04:27 PM
    I don't think we are affected for now.

It is just Google who want to stop supporting their application Google Talk for Windows. Which was really old.
    So I believe it has nothing to do with the XMPP service itself. It is just that:
    1) They won't update the application, but it does not means that it will stop working.
    2) you can always use third party client (such as BlackBerry Talk) to connect to the gTalk.
    3) On windows platform, you can use their Hangout Client anyway.
    02-14-15 08:21 PM
    In May 2013, Google announced that it would be dropping support for the XMPP instant messaging protocol, and it did so one year later. Until that time, because the Google Talk servers communicated with clients using an open protocol, Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol XMPP, the service could also be used with any other client that supported XMPP. Such clients are available for a number of operating systems not supported by the Google Talk client.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Talk

http://www.disruptivetelephony.com/2...ally-work.html

All third party apps make use of the same open xmpp/jabber servers that gtalk use, once they shut those down then they will stop working as well.

There is no Hangouts Client for windows, there is only a Chrome extension, which requires Chrome and it's not even close to as light as the gtalk client.

Gtalk was a perfect little chat-only app, small windows, non-intrusive, basically provided presence indicator and chat.

Does Hangouts even have presence indicator functionality? Seems more like an open conversation made up of short e-mails.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 09:10 AM
    GTalk is being shut down and merged into the Hangouts, which requires Play Services and did not work on our devices last I tried.

No clue if the newer 10.3 OS's and patched Play Services can run them, I haven't tried since I prefer BBM to Hangouts, but I doubt it since the whole point of them closing GTalk was to force people into Hangouts and Google Play dependencies.
    02-15-15 09:17 AM
    I've been using the HG10 app. Has worked like a charm.

Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10 [Hopefully NOT Edited by admin to be fair lol. ]
    Last edited by jope28; 02-15-15 at 05:55 PM.
    02-15-15 05:40 PM
    I've been using the HG10 app. Has worked like a charm.

Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10 [Hopefully NOT Edited by admin to be fair lol. ]
    I don't think you guys understand. Once they stop support for XMPP, every third party app or program will stop working,.. including HG10.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 07:31 PM
    Yes, I know.

But I never saw them saying that they stop the XMPP service. It will happen one day, but to my knowledge, up to now, they did not say anything about it.

What I have read is that Hangout is not compatible with XMPP. But there is still the gtalk server running who somehow make the bridge to the hangout ones with limited functionality.

I also have read these news about the gtalk _client_ for windows being deprecated. But I never saw them saying that "talk.google.com" is going down. Or do you have a reference saying so?

If you look at the dev doc in the authentification section:
    https://developers.google.com/talk/jep_extensions/oauth
    you can see that the scope for google talk is NOT deprecated. At least for now.

Regarding presence information, there are few things sent by the gtalk servers. But it seems a bit different than what we can see when we use hangout.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Amonchakai; 02-16-15 at 01:51 AM.
    02-16-15 01:38 AM
    I use Google Hangouts to chat with my wife. I really hope Google & Blackberry can continue to work together to offer a decent BB10 app. On the bright side, it seems the Google Talk app has been working better lately. If BlackBerry would come out with a BBM desktop client for Windows/Mac, it would be easier to get her to switch.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 10:26 AM
    I use Google Hangouts to chat with my wife. I really hope Google & Blackberry can continue to work together to offer a decent BB10 app. On the bright side, it seems the Google Talk app has been working better lately. If BlackBerry would come out with a BBM desktop client for Windows/Mac, it would be easier to get her to switch.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not aware that Hangouts work on BlackBerry phones. Thanks for the info.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    04-18-15 10:42 AM
    I'm not aware that Hangouts work on BlackBerry phones. Thanks for the info.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    I use the Gtalk app by Blackberry. It's fine for chatting/IM, but doesn't do video or groups.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 12:21 PM