Will Verizon ever get the Passport?

posted via "Coke White" q10 on VZW
    02-08-15 10:26 PM
    Passport 2 maybe if BB sales improve. No on Passport.
    02-08-15 11:16 PM
    Apparently once voLTE is fully rolled out it will be much easier to bring GSM devices over to Verizon's network.

Q10 on VZW for now?
    02-15-15 05:54 PM
    Apparently once voLTE is fully rolled out it will be much easier to bring GSM devices over to Verizon's network.

Q10 on VZW for now?
    Where are you getting this information? Verizon has never and as far as I know will never allow any type of phone on their network that is not a Verizon phone.
    02-15-15 09:12 PM
    Where are you getting this information? Verizon has never and as far as I know will never allow any type of phone on their network that is not a Verizon phone.
    In speaking with multiple people at Verizon, not Customer Service or Tech Support but instead those who work with large companies and/or Integrated Health Networks like the system I work for I raised the question of BYOD. I asked about the ability exactly what you are saying. Of course I didn't get a confirmation. What I did get was the following.

Verizon is aware that voLTE will make certain devices available that Verizon does not offer and typically would not approve on their network. However, with the combination of Feb 11th's Unlocking requirements and voLTE it would behoove Verizon to focus more on service versus sales. They mentioned how Apple Stores sell more iPhones than Verizon does. Additionally, spoke to Best Buy and other retailers now having sections devoted to Samsung devices.

My question was closed with: while they would not confirm or deny future unknown certainties once voLTE is available why would they turn away a customer just because of the device they are bringing over since the money is in the contract.

I hope that makes sense. And as always, this stuff is always speculation. All I can say is that is what I was told. Don't shoot the messenger. I never said it was fact. I only said its what I was told. Hopefully it is true.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    02-15-15 09:39 PM
    I hope that makes sense. And as always, this stuff is always speculation. All I can say is that is what I was told. Don't shoot the messenger. I never said it was fact. I only said its what I was told. Hopefully it is true.
    I'm not shooting the messenger. Sorry if I came across like that. I've been all over the internet researching about Verizon letting non-Verizon phones on their network and it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. That does not surprise me either.
    02-16-15 11:28 AM
    Actually, don't they accept certain device already? I thought I read somewhere that they do

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 11:33 AM
    Actually, don't they accept certain device already? I thought I read somewhere that they do

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you are right. As of right now I'm not aware of any.
    02-16-15 11:41 AM
    I'm yet another frustrated Verizon customer hoping for a chance to use a Passport on the network. So with the news that the Classic will be on Verizon in the next couple of weeks, I just compared the network bands on both the Classic and the Passport. Classic does not seem to have CDMA - which Verizon has required in the past (and of course, neither does Passport have CDMA, which is the reason my local Verizon store gave for not allowing Passport). If Verizon will now let Classic on the network w/o CDMA -- and all of the bands on the Classic are also available on the Passport, shouldn't Verizon now have to also allow the Passport? Thanks in advance to anyone who has insight about this.
    LibertyPhone likes this.
    02-16-15 02:25 PM
    I believe the Verizon model will have CDMA. The specs posted by BlackBerry appear to only addresses GSM models. Maybe this will change on the Verizon launch.

Z30 STA 100-3 /10.3.1.2267
    jxnb and jonassabatini like this.
    02-16-15 02:32 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=EA0IEXOT

Here is some info about the new verizon LTE network that requires a sim card. It appears they are accepting "certified" devices that aren't purchased from Verizon

Posted via CB10
    jxnb likes this.
    02-16-15 03:12 PM
    Bummer... Anyone know how to post a link?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 03:14 PM
    I'm yet another frustrated Verizon customer hoping for a chance to use a Passport on the network. So with the news that the Classic will be on Verizon in the next couple of weeks, I just compared the network bands on both the Classic and the Passport. Classic does not seem to have CDMA - which Verizon has required in the past (and of course, neither does Passport have CDMA, which is the reason my local Verizon store gave for not allowing Passport). If Verizon will now let Classic on the network w/o CDMA -- and all of the bands on the Classic are also available on the Passport, shouldn't Verizon now have to also allow the Passport? Thanks in advance to anyone who has insight about this.
    The Passport and the Classic that you can buy right now from BlackBerry and Amazon are GSM devices and do not have CDMA built in. Verizon right now uses CDMA for voice. Unless a company works with Verizon and develops a version of their phones with CDMA and it is approved by Verizon, then you are out of luck. Now on the other hand, ALL current Verizon phones are SIM unlocked and have GSM bands so they will usually work on GSM carriers if the phone has the right bands for that carrier. Confusing right.
    jxnb likes this.
    02-16-15 08:32 PM
    My BB10 phones, neither the Z10 nor the newer Z30 have had a chance to operate on gsm carriers but the Z30 will get the chance when it and I travel to France in June. But prior bb (9930 and 9630??) devices I've had have worked in Europe. Even then, Verizon BB's had sim cards but you had to call them to get them unlocked.
    02-20-15 05:51 PM
    My BB10 phones, neither the Z10 nor the newer Z30 have had a chance to operate on gsm carriers but the Z30 will get the chance when it and I travel to France in June. But prior bb (9930 and 9630??) devices I've had have worked in Europe. Even then, Verizon BB's had sim cards but you had to call them to get them unlocked.
    Verizon phones are SIM unlocked and have GSM bands in them. They can be used in other countries on GSM networks. We are talking about trying to use an unlocked GSM phone on Verizons network which you can not do.
    02-20-15 09:49 PM
    Has anyone put a Passport on Verizon yet? My Passport covers a boatload of bands including LTE13. But will it work well for WCDMA voice? Being they are dominant CDMA? My daughter has a Z30 Verizon she uses on H2Owireless (ATT mvno) and does fine but she doesn't care about LTE data. So the Z30 Verizon has all the common WCDMA bands working fine.

So need to try the reverse.....

Posted from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    03-20-15 01:50 PM
    The Passport may have Verizon's LTE band, but it doesn't have a CDMA radio stack so it will not work with Verizon's current voice network.

At this point, the chances of Verizon carrying the Passport are very slim. No CDMA variant has made its way to the FCC either, so there's likely no production ready version outside of maybe an early test device or two.

There's hope that VoLTE will finally kill the CDMA/GSM differences, but it will take time to create network handoffs between carrier devices as well as the larger issue of calls needing to fall back on the legacy network in an area not served by VoLTE. Just like the jump to LTE networks, it's going to take years to get VoLTE in place, and working nationwide.
    03-30-15 12:46 PM
    Verizon needs to reconsider the Passport other providers carry and if they don't may switch carrier.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 10:43 PM
    Verizon needs to reconsider the Passport other providers carry and if they don't may switch carrier.

Posted via CB10
    Switching carrier for a device is, and has always been a dumb choice...although people do it every day.
    04-24-15 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe it's not for them to consider. BlackBerry had an exclusive deal with ATT for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:21 AM