I understand slingmedia for blackberry is in a beta right now, but has anyone heard if it will be available for the storm? Also, I have verizon service and Im unsure how streaming from slingplayer will work with their 5gb cap. Will they make an exception for this program?
    11-21-08 06:27 PM
    bump please
    11-22-08 12:16 AM
    you need to watch it a heck of a lot to hit the limit although keep in mind streaming is against your TOS.

That being said, I am waiting for this as well! It has been in Beta a long time.
    11-22-08 12:48 AM
    Yea I know its against the TOS but I cannot see how RIM can launch this app knowing its against verizons TOS. Im thinking there might be an extra charge monthly with using the slingplayer going right to verizon.
    11-22-08 01:11 AM
    Slingplayer is released by Slingmedia, the company that makes the sling box not RIM (even if they work together). I have been using it for quite some time on my WM devices.
    11-22-08 01:14 AM
    Yea your right, Im just not willing to pay for the app from Slingmedia if it will cause massive data overages. How extensive if your data use on your device?
    11-22-08 01:28 AM
    Hate to admit I don't know this...but what is TOS and what does it mean?
    11-22-08 07:48 AM
    Hate to admit I don't know this...but what is TOS and what does it mean?
    (T)erms (O)f (S)ervice - the contract you "signed" when you acitvated your account with Verizon. It states certain restrictions on what you can use with your data plan.

And for the record, I've been using SlingPlayer Mobile for over a year with my Samsung i760 (prior to getting my Storm) and never once has VZW said anything about it.
    11-28-08 07:01 AM
    you need to watch it a heck of a lot to hit the limit although keep in mind streaming is against your TOS.

That being said, I am waiting for this as well! It has been in Beta a long time.
    I steam my tv shows over the pc while tethering and the highest that I have hit so far was 1.5g in a month. 5 gigs actually seems to be a hard number to hit with the phone capabilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 07:07 AM
    agreed . . . you would have to stream several hours a day ALL 30 days plus browsing, and email, to get anywhere close. I have used it for years and never it above 2.5GB
    11-28-08 10:02 AM
    When the world cup was going on, I was using mine a lot, If i remember correctly, I would have to watch mine for an hour a day, everyday, to hit the limit of 5gb
    11-28-08 10:09 AM
    When the world cup was going on, I was using mine a lot, If i remember correctly, I would have to watch mine for an hour a day, everyday, to hit the limit of 5gb
    HEY, the WC was the reason I got the slingbox!! I was watching two games a day on either the phone or computer while in Germany traveling between games! Never even hit 3GB.
    11-28-08 10:19 AM
    I used my previous device for tethering and went well beyond the 5g limit.
    I stream video all most all day while browsing the web and for the
    past several months have hit 20g or more.
    I have yet to be charged extra.
    By the way I'm using my Storm to type this and am loving it.

11-28-08 10:40 AM
    I used my previous device for tethering and went well beyond the 5g limit.
    I stream video all most all day while browsing the web and for the
    past several months have hit 20g or more.
    I have yet to be charged extra.
    By the way I'm using my Storm to type this and am loving it.

You bring up a good point . . . if you start using your computer on your phones network and exceed a few hours - you can start getting to a whole different level of usage.

Hopefully you stay away from the Verizon watchdogs . . . my understanding is they will giv eyou a warnign first, then cancel your data if you exceed again. First you have to show up on their report of biggest offenders.
    11-28-08 10:44 AM
    Someone mad a chart a while back over on HoFo but I cant seem to find it. You would have to watch something like 27 hours on the highest quality in a month to go over the limit.
    11-28-08 10:46 AM
    I usually watch movies and tv shows like Hero or CSI on Netflix while tethering. I also watch tv shows on Hulu

11-28-08 10:49 AM
    So any idea if slingbox/bb has software for storm? thnx
    12-04-08 03:54 PM
    So any idea if slingbox/bb has software for storm? thnx
    Not yet..its in beta
    12-04-08 04:00 PM
    It's not even out for testing to the beta testers (I am one for Sling).

I emailed them a couple weeks ago regarding the storm and a player, they are definitely working on one but have had some problems with the Blackberry OS that they have notified RIM about. We should see a beta to test before the end of December (that's what I have been told).
    12-06-08 09:29 PM

I emailed them a couple weeks ago regarding the storm and a player, they are definitely working on one but have had some problems with the Blackberry OS that they have notified RIM about. We should see a beta to test before the end of December (that's what I have been told).
    I'm amazed that they demoed a working copy during CES early in January.

I'm even more amazed that they don't have an iPhone version yet, considering the number of iPhone users out there. At least the BB beta is coming soon.
    12-07-08 12:11 AM
    How do I become a beta tester? I have a storm and will buy a slingbox when it works with it. Any idea the timeframe we are looking at until it's released?
    12-08-08 02:32 PM
    How do I become a beta tester? I have a storm and will buy a slingbox when it works with it. Any idea the timeframe we are looking at until it's released?
    From what I remember reading it won't be ready until late 2009. Most likely 3rd quarter.
    12-08-08 03:38 PM

I am a beta tester for the desktop version and recently applied to be added to the BB beta, but was worried that I had missed out since I had not heard back yet, BUT you have renewed my hopes. I thought I would get in for sure since I'm already testing for them, PLUS I have a storm which they might not have many folks testing with yet (I guess no one external anyways is testing yet).
    12-08-08 03:46 PM
    I use a Sling Pro on my laptop as I'm on the raod a lot. I love it. After I got my Storm, I called Sling and was dissapointed to find it had no BB support. Hopefully, from what I'm reading here, I may be able to watch Sunday Ticket on the Storm next year
    12-08-08 03:49 PM
    Slingbox had an article I think in January/February 2008 in regards to software compatible for Blackberries. I havent heard of any updates in regards to this since then.

If you have your television hooked to your computer you can always DL Orb and stream anything off your computer>phone.
    12-08-08 04:19 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD