So my fianc� sister just opened up a small business and wanted a more work appropriate phone, I figure what could be better for business than a blackberry. I had my Rogers Z10 unlocked for her and simply gave it to her. I installed the latest leak and followed cobalt's steps to get the fully functional play store apk installed.

She simply loves it.
    The hub, is the defining factor for her, not needing to open apps to reply to all those emails and IM's. She had no problems installing all the apps she used on the iPhone 5c they even remembered her save states when she signed in with Facebook.
    Just wanted to share another small success story.
    Thanks for reading.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 12:29 PM
    East or west BlackBerry is simply the best

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 12:57 PM
    So my fianc� sister just opened up a small business and wanted a more work appropriate phone, I figure what could be better for business than a blackberry. I had my Rogers Z10 unlocked for her and simply gave it to her. I installed the latest leak and followed cobalt's steps to get the fully functional play store apk installed.

She simply loves it.
    The hub, is the defining factor for her, not needing to open apps to reply to all those emails and IM's. She had no problems installing all the apps she used on the iPhone 5c they even remembered her save states when she signed in with Facebook.
    Thanks for reading.

Posted via CB10
    And when Cobalts hack get blocked and she can't load an app she needs for her business?

Think it is fine to sell people on what is officially the capabilities of BB10 and current BlackBerry devices. But SNAP and Cobalts instructions are not a guaranteed long term solution - a tweak here or there and Google could and most likely will eventually shut the door on the current "hack". As long as others understand it and accept that... then convert away.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-29-15 01:15 PM
    And when Cobalts hack get blocked and she can't load an app she needs for her business?

Think it is fine to sell people on what is officially the capabilities of BB10 and current BlackBerry devices. But SNAP and Cobalts instructions are not a guaranteed long term solution - a tweak here or there and Google could and most likely will eventually shut the door on the current "hack". As long as others understand it and accept that... then convert away.
    Your right, but most of the apps were available from amazon so we got them there first.
    Cross that bridge though when it happens.
    It was a free phone after all.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    01-29-15 06:05 PM
    And what exactly success is to give her a slower device that runs non-native apps through emulation?
    01-29-15 06:39 PM
    Because it is way more efficient than the other one she was using.
    tanzarian likes this.
    01-29-15 09:09 PM
    Because it is way more efficient than the other one she was using.
    For some basic communications needs only. For overall speed, smoothness, app availability, app quality, possible customizations, battery life, camera, etc. 5C is a better package.
    01-29-15 09:54 PM
    Your right, but most of the apps were available from amazon so we got them there first.
    Cross that bridge though when it happens.
    It was a free phone after all.

Posted via CB10
    Just saying that "selling" others on BB10 devices, should include warning them that bridge is up ahead. Or you might find yourself being chastised by your "friends" or family.

And while Amazon does have "some" of the Android Apps that I use... it is not the majority nor the more important ones. Cobalts process is GREAT for those of us that have a BB10 device already.... it just isn't a sales feature for getting others to join the platform.
    01-30-15 07:10 AM
    Just saying that "selling" others on BB10 devices, should include warning them that bridge is up ahead. Or you might find yourself being chastised by your "friends" or family.

And while Amazon does have "some" of the Android Apps that I use... it is not the majority nor the more important ones. Cobalts process is GREAT for those of us that have a BB10 device already.... it just isn't a sales feature for getting others to join the platform.
    Dude he just said he installed the playstore for her. He's not patching anything. All the playstore apps can be found online anyway by a simple apk search. You're ridiculous
    01-30-15 07:17 AM
    For some basic communications needs only. For overall speed, smoothness, app availability, app quality, possible customizations, battery life, camera, etc. 5C is a better package.
    She's running a business. She says herself she loves it, apparently. What gives you the right to criticize that when she has in fact used both?
    01-30-15 07:19 AM
    I take it you are actually serious and therefore won't waste my time refuting that nonsense you just spewed.

She is RUNNING A BUSINESS now nitwit. She needs a proper and serious communication tool that is efficient and reasonably secure. Nuff said!

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-30-15 07:29 AM
    Dude he just said he installed the playstore for her. He's not patching anything. All the playstore apps can be found online anyway by a simple apk search. You're ridiculous
    He installed Cobalts patched version of the Play Store... it might work for a few months or a few years. Depends on IF Google decides to make changes to Google Services.

Not really sure what you mean by "playstore apps can be found online anyway".... yes there are many ways of getting all sorts of Android APKs, but that doesn't mean that they work. Many newer apps require Google Services to work, and Cobalts "fix" is really the best option that we have for those apps to work on BB10. But it is NOT a permanent fix! I'm just saying caution should be used so you don't end up with someone mad at you because you didn't explain how things work. But do what you want.
    Umaima_B_Dia and kbz1960 like this.
    01-30-15 07:54 AM
    There is no need for everyone being so defensive.
    1 if the play store stops working that's not a big deal she barley used it. I more or less installed it for novelty reasons. And 2 she says the z10 feels faster than her loaded iPhone 5c, I'm not going to argue which hardware is better cause it doesn't matter. She's happy with it, and thinks it's faster/better, so I'm happy.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 10:19 AM
    To each his own but I own a z10 and a iPhone 4s and the 4s feels more fluid and smoother than the z10 doing normal operations so I don't see how the z10 could be faster

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 02:19 PM
    She's running a business. She says herself she loves it, apparently. What gives you the right to criticize that when she has in fact used both?
    I'm just saying that 5C is a batter package. Z10 is a significant downgrade, both on hardware and software. I'm running my own business too and the companies I work with all dumped Q10 in favor of iPhone 5. And I'm talking about companies with Canada-wide services, not local car repair garages or hair saloons. BlackBerry used to be a business tool, now many business specific applications are not available for BB10. Business is not just phone calls and emails these days. I can't use anymore BB10 as my main device for business purposes for the very same reason - applications not available. Sorry, this is the reality.

She is RUNNING A BUSINESS now nitwit. She needs a proper and serious communication tool that is efficient and reasonably secure. Nuff said!
    Excuse my french, this is complete BS. BB10 outside BES is no more secure than Android, iPhone or WP. BB10 connected to Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. is as secure as everything else connected to the same services. What so secure is needed for a person running small business? Is the lady above selling drugs or weapons?

To each his own but I own a z10 and a iPhone 4s and the 4s feels more fluid and smoother than the z10 doing normal operations so I don't see how the z10 could be faster
    Of course. And you can do way more on 4S. That's why Z10 new can be found for $100 (BestBuy Canada - Telus Prepaid), but a used iPhone 4S 16GB in good condition is $250.
    01-30-15 06:05 PM
    And what exactly success is to give her a slower device that runs non-native apps through emulation?
    It sounds like she's happy with it. Happiness is a measure that wise people use to measure sucess. If you measure yours by owning the fastest possible phone (or, at least on paper) then good luck to you. Please don't rain on someone's parade though.

It's awesome that you converted an iPhone user OP! And the Hub is the best. Even if some features might be 'slower' than on other devices, all BlackBerry devices are more efficient, and therefore faster, and it's great that you were able to introduce that to a happy new BlackBerry user.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    der_mit likes this.
    01-30-15 06:25 PM
    It sounds like she's happy with it.
    No one can do a full evaluation of a phone in 2 days. She's will be happy until she wants to do something that is simply impossible on BB10 or requires a workaround. Like printing a picture on a WiFi printer or connecting BB10 to some wearable device without native support (almost all of them). For non tek-savvy person it's the end of this BB10 device.
    01-30-15 06:32 PM
    No one can do a full evaluation of a phone in 2 days. She's will be happy until she wants to do something that is simply impossible on BB10 or requires a workaround. Like printing a picture on a WiFi printer or connecting BB10 to some wearable device without native support (almost all of them). For non tek-savvy person it's the end of this BB10 device.
    Have you even used BB10? I printed pictures and a few documents to a wi-fi printer today. Better upgrade to a newer os and try again. Speaking of documents, i pulled a document off of my computer at home from my phone and printed it to that same printer. Try that on your iphone without an app.
    BionicKris and der_mit like this.
    01-30-15 07:34 PM
    I'm not sure too many non-tek-savvy people use wearable technology or print wirelessly but both of those things are quite possible. I use a bluetooth connected fitness tracker and it syncs fine with my Passport. Yes, it's an Android app but it works just fine and isn't hard on the battery.

BlackBerry isn't the only OS that requires workarounds. In fact, almost every piece of tech does to some point. The fact that there IS a workaround at all, is a good thing.

BB10 is a great OS. While it might not be for everyone, there are still many people who love it and even more that don't know how great it is. A lot of people are making the switch and coming back to realizing that their smartphone is primarily a communications device. As such, BlackBerry is the best.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    BionicKris and der_mit like this.
    01-30-15 08:07 PM
    Have you even used BB10?
    Yes. It can't print directly to any of the wireless printers around me. Brother, Canon, HP software is not available for BB10. The only workaround is to go through a PC connected to the printer or to send an email to the printer, if supported. Forget about direct scanning to BB10 also.

Better upgrade to a newer os and try again.
    My Z10 is running latest official OS designed for it. Loading a leaked/beta OS is not a user-friendly solution.

Try that on your iphone without an app.
    I don't use iOS devices anymore. My main business device runs Android. Everything is possible there, with or without an app, it doesn't matter. You want something - you have it in 5min. You want something on BB10 - start a thread on CB that becomes 10 pages long and contains no solution, plus get bonus comments about you.
    01-30-15 08:25 PM
    I guess "user friendly" might mean that people aren't smart enough. So i guess you haven't had a chance to use Blackberry Blend which I used on my ipad today to also look up something on my work computer using the file manager. You are missing out.
    rayporsche and BionicKris like this.
    01-30-15 08:50 PM
    I guess "user friendly" might mean that people aren't smart enough.
    You guess wrong. It means that BlackBerry's official OS is 10.2.1.x. Of course, I have tried all popular 10.3.x leaks, but again - it's not a solution. Officially Blend is not available to Z10. No serious businessman will waste time to experiment with leaked OS versions. More likely will dump the BB10 device and move to iOS or Android. And this is what happens in last 2 years.

You are missing out.
    No, I'm not missing anything. The only unique BB10 feature is the HUB. Everything else is available to iOS and Android for years, BlackBerry is just catching up with competition. Trying their best at least. They even copy Android-like home screens and iOS-like buttons.
    01-30-15 08:57 PM
    You will be official shortly, so then you can be a legit businessman and run an official OS. Ha
    01-30-15 09:19 PM
    You will be official shortly, so then you can be a legit businessman and run an official OS. Ha. No more comments businessman. Go to bed. Past your bedtime.
    01-30-15 09:24 PM
    You will be official shortly, so then you can be a legit businessman and run an official OS.
    Running official Lollipop for my business, don't worry about it. Matching features coming to BB10 in 2020, be patient.
    01-30-15 09:38 PM
74 123