Sorry, if this does not seem relevant, - and if this should go in another section mods please more. I trust this CB forums more than any other.
    I dont know if the problem is with my PC, Playbook or what.
    I have found I have huge (2-3 Gig/day Upload) Upload Bandwidth from my providors daily usage monitor. Started about a week ago.
    I do not have any Peer to Peer file sharing programs. I didnt download anything of any significance so I really dont know where to start looking. I tried Microsoft free virus check as well as my providers free one but nothing.
    Can anyone point me in the correct direction or perhaps propose a free virus/malware scrubber they trust or have used?
    Ive tried using Hijack this and Spybot but they dont seem to do anything. Hijack gives me an error.
    I did try googling "suspicious upload" but there is surprisingly little on the subject.

Any help would be appreciated or I am going to be getting a DAM BIG BILL from my provider..

TIA
    gregstaa likes this.
    01-25-15 03:35 PM
    I don't know what your playbook would have to do with this. But download Malwarebytes free, install, update and run. Also superantispyware free, do the same.

Edit: do you use your providers connection for your PC? Your playbook is one with a SIM card?
    Carl Estes and GV2012 like this.
    01-25-15 03:46 PM
    Also look into what apps, software, websites, emails you accessed/loaded last week 'cause even if you find something to ferret out the offender there is good chance you will just bring it back on board again.

app .. a lot of people do not really realize the permissions they have given the developer or corp. underwriter to access (your) hardware and file sys anytime - anywhere !! 'Cause the majority of peoples do not read the legal (list of permissions) before tapping 'i accept' .

imho

Good Luck !
    GV2012 likes this.
    01-25-15 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this when i get back from playing hockey this eve.
    Yes, I used my providers connection for my PC and I use the PLAYBOOK wifi off the router (The PC has the Internet cable going to it).
    01-25-15 04:49 PM
    Also look into what apps, software, websites, emails you accessed/loaded last week 'cause even if you find something to ferret out the offender there is good chance you will just bring it back on board again.
    Good Luck !
    Thanks, It was most likely from a website which I was viewing over free stream though i did not download anything. I tried to go through most of the files on my comp by date but really couldnt find anything loaded around that date.
    The only thing I downloaded that I can remember around this time was the Google Phone/Voice plug in - for some reason one day it was gone and I couldnt call from my PC so I had to * install * a plug in - which was kind of weird cause i didnt delete it in the first place - had used the google phone call plug in for quite some time and never had a problem with it.
    01-25-15 04:55 PM
    If the programs I suggested won't run go to safe mode and run them.
    01-25-15 05:02 PM
    Yes, I used my providers connection for my PC and I use the PLAYBOOK wifi off the router (The PC has the Internet cable going to it).
    You sure your wifi is secured and nobody is piggybacking on it?
    kbz1960 and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-25-15 06:59 PM
    You sure your wifi is secured and nobody is piggybacking on it?
    I changed the password so I really dont know what I else I could do be sure. I know when I check my wifi connection on my playbook it shows that it is locked.

KBZ1960, I dowloaded and ran Malwarebytes but it said no virus/infections found. I just got back home so i will now try superantispyware

update: There was stuff cleared used superantispyware but i dont think they were viruses - it seemed more like ad tracking stuff but i will know tomorrow when i can check my usage from today.
    Last edited by GV2012; 01-25-15 at 10:43 PM.
    01-25-15 10:06 PM
    You could try changing the password and connect then turn off broadcasting the SSID if you think someone is tagging on.
    01-26-15 06:25 AM
    Also use a higher encryption level for your WiFi, if possible (anything but open or WEP. WPA2 AES is preferred.)
    01-26-15 06:55 AM
    Thanks, It was most likely from a website which I was viewing over free stream though i did not download anything. I tried to go through most of the files on my comp by date but really couldnt find anything loaded around that date.
    The only thing I downloaded that I can remember around this time was the Google Phone/Voice plug in - for some reason one day it was gone and I couldnt call from my PC so I had to * install * a plug in - which was kind of weird cause i didnt delete it in the first place - had used the google phone call plug in for quite some time and never had a problem with it.
    Please note, this is a common misconception. Just because you don't save anything to the harddrive, streaming uses bandwidth, as does online gaming. You are still transferring data, you just don't physically save it anywhere (it deletes when it's done). If you have been viewing a number of videos over streaming in the last while, then this is likely your source of increased bandwidth use.

That being said, I'd suggest installing Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and just run both of them periodically to clean your system out.
    anon(5597702) and kbz1960 like this.
    01-26-15 08:46 AM
    Tovento, yes I realize streaming things count as bandwidth but I am talking about uploading specifically as per my bandwidth usage from providers. It's the upload bandwidth which is the problem not download as I have not uploaded or peer 2 peer anything of significance as per what shows on my usage (as much as 3G upload ).
    Anyway, changing Router/wifi password didn't help. The Antivirus suggested didn't find anything. There was stuff cleaned up with superantispyware but I some how doubt the problem was there but we shall see when I next get to check my bandwidth usage. I wish there was a program where I could view where my uploading is going /originating
    01-26-15 01:01 PM
    Look for a windows application called "resources monitor" you can access it from tast manager on windows 8.

It'll show you what is using the resources of your pc including data, just hop to the network tab and see the graph.

An idle pc connected to a wifi keeps a constant 1 kbps ping with the router. But if the graph suddenly jumps into mbps then start looking at the app and services list.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 01:28 PM
    Check your task manager to make sure nothing is running in the background. Make sure you look at the "tasks" tab and not just running applications. I assume you've tried to reboot the PC/playbook. Try to think back to when you started encountering this issue...did you install a new piece of software? I know you said you don't have any P2P program running, but with 3GB/day transfer, it sure sounds like your computer is being used as a host to transfer files.
    Go into add/remove programs and see if there are strange pieces of software listed which you have no idea how they got there or who installed them. If you are absolutely sure that something listed shouldn't be there, try uninstalling it. As suggested above take a look at network traffic through the task manager. Uninstall something you don't think should be there, and then take a look again at the network traffic after a few minutes.

I'd be surprised to hear that your playbook got hijacked (though a reboot would clear the memory if a program is stuck in there). What kind of website are you using to stream? Have you tried shutting down your PC (leaving it off) and seeing if your network traffic stops?

By the way, you asked for tools to see which program is sending traffic? MS has one built in...there are a few others. Take a look here: The Top 20 Free Network Monitoring and Analysis Tools for Sys Admins
    GV2012 likes this.
    01-26-15 02:00 PM
    Yeah I am staying off -keeping the desktop shut down for today just to use process of elimination. It's gotta be a virus on my desktop but just want to make sure to rule out router.
    Btw thanks for the top20 Network monitoring. I think the FIDDLER may be useful
    01-26-15 07:52 PM
    HijackThis should run with administrative rights

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 08:06 PM
    I doubt it's a virus if none of the scanners found anything more than tracing cookies.
    01-26-15 08:09 PM
    Sorry, if this does not seem relevant, - and if this should go in another section mods please more. I trust this CB forums more than any other.
    I dont know if the problem is with my PC, Playbook or what.
    I have found I have huge (2-3 Gig/day Upload) Upload Bandwidth from my providors daily usage monitor. Started about a week ago.
    I do not have any Peer to Peer file sharing programs. I didnt download anything of any significance so I really dont know where to start looking. I tried Microsoft free virus check as well as my providers free one but nothing.
    Can anyone point me in the correct direction or perhaps propose a free virus/malware scrubber they trust or have used?
    Ive tried using Hijack this and Spybot but they dont seem to do anything. Hijack gives me an error.
    I did try googling "suspicious upload" but there is surprisingly little on the subject.

Any help would be appreciated or I am going to be getting a DAM BIG BILL from my provider..

TIA
    I would suspect it is your PC as it is subject to hijack. Turn it off for a couple of days and see if that goes away.
    01-27-15 07:42 AM
    Well, I turned my desktop off all day yesterday ( going back on after midnight ) and I still had 2G upload on my bandwidth usage chart for yesterday.... Unless my providers doesn't go by midnight to midnight for one day but... Man this is getting weird.
    01-27-15 08:02 AM
    What does your router's log say. Unplug the whole network and see what happens

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 08:04 AM
    Where would I find my router's log? I have a DLink and I don't remember a tab or anything like that for a log when I go in to change my router's password.
    Edit -ok I see where that is now... but what should i look for in there?
    Last edited by GV2012; 01-27-15 at 08:55 AM.
    01-27-15 08:17 AM
    Search the dlink website for your particular router. Some are complex and some are so dumbed down they are a pain. Does it have more than one wireless network on it. Ny neighbor has locked one down with wpa but has the other open and didn't change the factory password. You could block the ports normally associated with file sharing and other high bandwidth things like Netflix or YouTube. I once forgot to turn my browser off when I left work. Stupid news site had a feed running and my sound was really low. Try and use services to limit bandwidth like opendns.org. You can set rules that opens and closes sites and services according to time of day. There are other data compression services but I have not used any so I don't have first-hand knowledge.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:12 PM
    Look for any other devices that don't belong to you. Do any family or friends have access to the wifi. You could go old school lock down on the network, when not in use unplug the modem.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-15 09:19 PM
    About the password. I just don't to know if you mean the router sign in password or the wireless network access password. I'd also change the name of the network and turn off the broadcast of the network.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:25 PM
    Thanks guys,
    I checked my router's screen and the only things on at the LAN computers section were my PC and my Playbook. There was nothing I didn't recognize. I did for the time being (most of day ) disconnect Internet line from router to comp. See what the numbers look like tomorrow.
    01-27-15 10:21 PM
32 12