Hey guys, I've had a Z30 for just over a year and everything has worked fairly well. Over the last few weeks however, I am having issues when calling people. I can hear them fine, but they can barely hear me. They say I sound muffled or very quiet or far away from the phone. I have the volume turned up to the max. When I go on speakerphone, they can hear me fine. It is only when not on speaker. I've done the BBVE and everything passed. I also just updated to 10.3.1.747 thinking that would help, but it hasn't.

One other thing. When I use Parrot and cover the other mics, leaving only the bottom one exposed, it seems to record my voice just fine. Any ideas?
    01-07-15 06:54 PM
    There's multiple microphones on the Z30. I don't which ones work at which times, but pocket fuzz can build up in the tiny holes for the mics so take a close look at them under a bright light, there may be some dirt build up in there. Take a straight pin and gently in a circular motion, clean out the hole just take care not to poke straight down into the mic. I have to this regularly on mine. Hope it helps!

Posted via CB10
    goleafsgo143 and andy957 like this.
    01-07-15 10:03 PM
    Thanks! I'll try to clean it out when I get home later today. I would assume the only mic used during a phone call is the bottom one? Unlike the side mics, that one seems really tiny and difficult to clean. There could be dust in there that I cannot see. I'm just not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. I've read other people having this similar problem, and most seem to just send it back to blackberry for a replacement. Unfortunately, I'm beyond the one year warranty.
    01-08-15 06:55 AM
    Hit the microphone twice then it will work this works with my sister

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 01:38 PM
    You have to hit your sister twice to make her work? That's harsh. You could get in all sorts of trouble for doing that.
    01-08-15 05:51 PM
    My girlfriend has this issue on her z30 at the moment. Over BBM calls / videos it works (barely) but over calls 3g/4g no voice whatsoever. Did poking around the mic work for you?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016
    01-09-15 07:19 PM
    It didn't work unfortunately. Over regular phone calls it is still very quiet or sometimes the person can't hear me at all. I haven't tried BBM voice but just using the mic on the parrot app it works fine. Is her Z30 10.2.1 or 10.3.xx? Also, does she use her headphone jack a lot for listening to music etc? I read that may be somehow related to the problem. I use my headphones almost daily.
    01-11-15 11:42 AM
    She was on 10.3.1.9xx and then I upgraded it to 10.3.1.19xx, I have also now tried adding in a headphone jack that includes a microphone in the headphones (you know the ones), and that works absolutely fine over calls, so I have deduced it to a hardware defect, not necessarily with the microphone (due to it working with bbm voice / voice notes), but with a way the phone handles audio transmission over the cellular network. I have also tried sims on different networks to ensure it isn't a network issue either.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016
    01-12-15 04:19 PM
    Since we both have leaked versions of 10.3 installed, maybe the official release of 10.3.1 will solve the issue? I think its due out in the next few weeks, so I guess I'll just wait and see for now. If once that is installed and I still have the same problem, its obviously a hardware thing. As you said, I don't think its the actual microphone being defective, but something else.
    01-13-15 08:43 AM
    I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, I have gone through 3 Z30s in a years time! The first phone lasted almost a year when it stopped working I tried everything and it lead me to buy a new one at shop blackberry, this one's mic died in less than 30 days and blackberry sent me a new one. I read some threads on Z10s as they also have this issue and some one repaired his saying it was a bad connection job done at time of manufacturing and he repaired the connection and all was great!

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 04:55 PM
    Just registered and found this thread as I thought I have had a run of bad luck. I have had two Z10's which had audio issues - one with a bad loudspeaker and one with a poor microphone. On both of those Z10's I replaced everything but the mother board and problem was still there, so I can only assume it is a faulty audio chip. Thinking that another Z10 would be too risky I have just bought a Z30 (love the screen) only to find the microphone is almost silent on phone calls and when you can hear it, it is quiet and full of interference. It is better when not used in a phone call (e.g. voice memo) but there is still a phased quality to the sound - basically the worst audio recording capability of any device I have had in the the last few years. As Blackberry are touting the audio capabilities of the Z30 (Natural Sound), I am assuming the Z30 is also faulty. With such a run of bad luck, I am now very reluctant to look for another Z30. I love everything else about the phone, but this is going to be a real problem. Anyone got any good news stories to restore my faith?
    01-25-15 12:22 PM
    It didn't work unfortunately. Over regular phone calls it is still very quiet or sometimes the person can't hear me at all. I haven't tried BBM voice but just using the mic on the parrot app it works fine. Is her Z30 10.2.1 or 10.3.xx? Also, does she use her headphone jack a lot for listening to music etc? I read that may be somehow related to the problem. I use my headphones almost daily.
    Maybe try deleting Parrot, rebooting, and trying a phone call. I know it can take control of the mic so maybe it's doing something that's causing you to sound quiet.
    01-26-15 09:44 AM
    My wife's Z30 just bit the dust for the second time in less than a year. Luckily it's still under warranty so it's going in the shop tomorrow. Same exact mic issue.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 06:58 PM
    I guess I am going to add to this list:

Z30 is 8 months old - retired my Q10.

My Mic is basically non functionable. I took it into a reputable repair depot on
    Friday (Feb 06), he changed out the main Mic, check the two noise cancelling mics and tested continuously - he found that if he tapped on the mic it would hear that ... but if he spoke it seemed that the noise cancelling mics would cancel out his voice. We then wiped the device and re-installed the software - 10.2.1.xxx Still no joy.

Strangely enough...if I use Sound Hog to get a title..it works just fine..???????

I now have a silent mobile computer that sadly is going into a drawer as I am going to pick up a Classic today.

Blackberry needs to address this issue which I believe is something to do with the noise canceling mics and the voice mic . Damned fine device - best in its class by far and it sucks not to be able to use it as its primary function - a TELEPHONE..!!
    02-07-15 12:46 PM
    Brother, I feel your pain. My z30 was eight months old same thing happened. I have had two replacements from shop blackberry as its a known fault. It's a hardware problem Not os unfortunately. It probably works if you have head phones in. Good luck.
    02-07-15 04:44 PM
    Well the problem is - was: what to do..?? Go Classic for 50 on a 2 yr contract with Telus...(+ 208 to kill my old 3yr contract)..or get a another Z30...(zero upfront), pay the 208 and add a 6.00/mo. for an all calamities type of insurance...if it screws up again with same issue - free new phone...if I drop it in water - $49.95/New phone.

The alternative was staying with my old contract and buying an unknown quality unit from e-bay or kijiji.

I took the New 2 yr contract (wouldn't go with anyone other than Telus anyway), got the Z30 paid the 208 and am now on 2nd Z30.. sucks BALLS though as other than this issue, this phone totally rocks the planet..in my humble opinion of course. To have a perfectly good mobile computer sitting in my desk drawer pains me. As I am sure it does the rest of us.

You are saying its a known fault..by us for sure, but does or has BBry acknowledged the issue I wonder..??

I also just read on another forum that if one toggles the up/down/off buttons on the phone it may well help - just sent this guy ( a developer to boot), a PM asking him to describe EXACTLY What/How to toggle Which button When...if you get my drift.

I'll post what I find here - possibly on a New Thread if it actually works.

Stk
    Last edited by steakman911; 02-07-15 at 07:34 PM.
    02-07-15 07:14 PM
    My fiance's Z30 is starting to have this problem...

I don't think the Z30 has warranty anymore. Though I might still be eligible for the credit card extended warranty...

Is there a way to fix this myself? Where do I buy a replacement mic?
    03-09-15 11:39 AM
    In the Thread above this one.."Mic issue Z30 10.3" one of the posters seems to think that a complete new touch screen is warranted in order to "fix" this issue. I tried toggling both the UP/down buttons at the same time...holding them in until the phone reboots - a so called "hard re-boot" (seems to me this is identical to holding the top button and shutting down the phone that way).

I still think this is a hardware/code issue between the Mic itself - the noise cancelling mics and the headphone jack. Something is not talking to something else.

hopefully bbry is now aware of this issue and looking at it....more and more folks are seeing this issue,

When I took it to my reputable repair guy in Calgary, he dialed his other phone from mine...then tapped his finger on the mic - you could plainly hear it on his phone, yet when he spoke into the mic..there was nothing coming out the other end...verrrryWeird.

So someTING WONG here... and its not the software: I'm on 10.3.1.1581 - not resolved.

UPDATE: 2015/03/21 Last week I loaded up 10.3.1.1767 on both Z30's. the unit that had the mic issue is now working..?? I have no idea if the update is the reason or not...but I now have two fully functional Z30's...sweet.!

Stk
    Last edited by steakman911; 03-22-15 at 11:00 AM.
    warreng likes this.
    03-09-15 01:14 PM
    Looks like everybody has this mic problem, so guys... I replaced my BlackBerry z30 mic with a mic from an old Nokia, 6700 in my case. So is very simple go in some gsm service and give them an old nokia and tell them to replace just the mic...is an 30 min operation. And it works perfectly!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-10-15 04:43 AM
    This issue randomly popped up for me yesterday. I bought a used - like new Z30 a few months ago and I have been running 10.3.2.2339 with no issues. I hadn't made any changes recently, either. Love the phone, but now it doesn't serve it's primary purpose. I have the same issues. No one can hear me when we are supposed to be talking on the phone. I hear them, and the speaker phone seems to work faintly if I am really close to the phone and speaking loudly... Huge issue! Today I loaded the newest leak I could find (non-destructively) -10.3.2.2639- to see if that would clear it up... I am almost ready to try an autoloader, but it's such a pain to set everything back up. Has anyone found a definitive solution?

Update: Today I blew compressed air into the bottom microphone (between screen and silver bezel), and now it works!!! Too much lint, I guess.
    Last edited by gusmuh; 09-04-15 at 03:14 PM.
    Meenix likes this.
    08-28-15 10:12 PM
    Had the same z30 problem and fixed it myself, with some partial youtube help.

Mic would not work for outgoing phone calls. People could not hear me unless on the speaker mode.

The problem was that the mic leads were compressed and therefore not connecting to the mic assembly on the back of the screen.

Follow youtube instructions to take off the screen but no need to disconnect it. Just flip the screen over - leaving the ribbon connection in place.

You will see the mic leads (little prongs) and where they need to connect to the bottom of the back side of the screen. The prongs were compressed flat to the phone housing and not making the connection to the back side of the screen.

I very carefully pryed the prongs back up a little bit with a fine utility knife. Cleaned a little bit of gunk up around the connections and re attached the screen.

Made a phone call and problem solved.

YouTube guys use t4 torx but I found t5 to work much better.

It's really a very easy repair, if you are beyond warranty.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and HereticHermit like this.
    09-15-15 08:14 PM
    Been having the same issue, thanks, will definitely try what you have suggested.

10.3.2.2639 STA100-2 | Step-by-step
    09-16-15 01:15 AM
    Had the same z30 problem and fixed it myself, with some partial youtube help.

Mic would not work for outgoing phone calls. People could not hear me unless on the speaker mode.

The problem was that the mic leads were compressed and therefore not connecting to the mic assembly on the back of the screen.

Follow youtube instructions to take off the screen but no need to disconnect it. Just flip the screen over - leaving the ribbon connection in place.

You will see the mic leads (little prongs) and where they need to connect to the bottom of the back side of the screen. The prongs were compressed flat to the phone housing and not making the connection to the back side of the screen.

I very carefully pryed the prongs back up a little bit with a fine utility knife. Cleaned a little bit of gunk up around the connections and re attached the screen.

Made a phone call and problem solved.

YouTube guys use t4 torx but I found t5 to work much better.

It's really a very easy repair, if you are beyond warranty.

Posted via CB10
    Please help me,
    While your mic was flawed.
    Did your mic worked with BBM and Whatsapp calls?
    Did BBVE said it was ok?

How did you moved those prongs? Are so tiny!
    Posted via CB10
    Attachment 372693
    Last edited by gmsm; 09-23-15 at 01:04 PM.
    09-23-15 12:32 PM
    I just kind of fixed it. The ones to move are the two ones at the bottom next to the border.
    Now the voice is clearer.

Thank you very much!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 02:15 PM
    Link of YouTube, to solve that problem

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:14 PM
46 12