Hello again!

This device has some issues in terms of hardware quality. Whoever are the vendors supplying the components for the Passport to BlackBerry are, they appear sub-par. My wife's Passport failed today, well more specifically, the focusing mechanism on the camera broke. The focusing motor now goes crazy, buzzes, rattles, never obtains focus. You can physically feel it jerking back and forth to no end and you can see it pulsating like mad trying to focus. Wipe and reload did nothing, going to a newer OS did nothing. Clearly, the hardware failed completely. I just submitted a request to BlackBerry for an advance exchange, but I wanted to post this experience on here as well. Since this issue is separate, I will update the post with the response I get from BlackBerry.

EDIT:

Video as requested. You may need to turn up the volume to hear the grinding and clicking noises of the focusing motor when it comes to that segment around 2:40 into the video. The rapid flashing of the focus is visible throughout so pay close attention.

https://mega.co.nz/#!3Vk0DQaI!zWM5KP...5kd8Az8B8P5Kds
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-07-15 at 10:00 AM.
    wojt7 likes this.
    01-02-15 01:58 AM
    Its happening with every Passport owner...Wait for a software update.
    01-02-15 02:51 AM
    If it's making physical noises it's not gonna be fixed with a software update.

I'm sorry for your problems OP! Hope you're warranty is still valid. Yeah the camera focus Sucks. For those who don't have a passport with rattling noises, the focus is said to be greatly improved in 10.3.1.1949.

So hold on!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:56 AM
    How many of these threads do I have now showing defective Passports? I can't even count any more.
    Yeah funny... me neither.

Look man, I was on your side up till about the 5th one but you must be in double digits now. Some people have had issues but if you look in threads polling build quality or user reviews I'd put the percent of perfect phones at over 95%. Funny that you've had about 11 in a row fail for basically every reason under the sun.

Honestly at this point you're either trolling us or you're an insane person. Back in the day I had 2 HTC phones fail on me in a month and I haven't looked at HTC since. No sane person gives anything 11 failed chances in a row. I don't know what the real story is, but as of today you've lost me.
    01-02-15 03:35 AM
    Maybe you guys are too OCD and are imagining things?
    LOL I kid I kid

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:56 AM
    @webber27 - I couldn't care less. Facts are facts. I will post a video here as well, just so it's all well documented, just like the other threads. I'm not doing it because I care about opinions, but because I care about others knowing what kind of crappy hardware they are potentially buying into. This many issues and defects isn't coincidental. These devices are systematically bad because the components used to put them together are bad.

Just to illustrate a point here too, I've had two Z10s, three Q10s, and one Z30, but you aren't going to find any threads from me complaining about build quality and other issues there. Only issue with the Z10s was the battery life, which is well known, and one Q10 had a double typing problem, which is also well known. The rest of the devices have all been solid. The Passport on the other hand is junk.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 09:46 AM
    Ok after reading your paragraph essay, it is obvious you are deeply disturbed by this, I understand that...

Electronics fail it is normal but don't judge the phone like all passports will go through this problem, we already know the passports focus isn't the greatest but good enough and your problem is the first I heard.

It's just that u wrote a paragraph essay about a failed component and it felt like you were expressing your life with passports to a point people feel you are trolling or fabricating a story.

Get your transaction done and tell us your experience from point A to B, don't rage brah.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    thymaster, bungaboy and Barbareren like this.
    01-02-15 10:02 AM

If you want proof, I will record some for you tomorrow and post it on here. Right now I'm busy loosing sleep and restoring my wife's device to a working state (minus the camera), so she can "keep on moving" while we sort out how to get her a new phone. Do keep in mind that I am not the first person to report a failed focusing motor on a Passport. There were several others on this forum since inception.

Perhaps I ought to order a spare Passport for when the next one fails. I wonder what it will be...screen lift, failed keys, keys falling off, collapsed dome, dead/stuck pixels, bending, faulty speakers and/or microphones, failed camera focus motor, phew...so many to choose from! I just have to make sure that the spare isn't a used defective device, like a recent one that I got (see my other fun thread here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...kberry-987142/)

I couldn't help myself but go back and read your story, these two paragraphs clearly show that you are either a troll or fabricating this story or both.

Calling the passport junk quality over a camera component that has possibly failed on you was the single most obvious mistake you done, because someone that loves a device such as the passport that experience complications or what not will come here and report it and seek advice, you don't see any bashing and rage over it, but of course other questions or concerns may come up but in your case I will give you a 8/10 for trolling effort.

Bring the passports back and buy a better "quality" device.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    moody and bungaboy like this.
    01-02-15 10:17 AM
    I've had a Passport for a month and I've been extremely impressed with the build quality. You seem like you have an axe to grind.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 10:30 AM
    I feel sorry about your story, have no comments about if your story is true or not, but here is my part of the Passport...yeah my camera have poor focus in many situations, other than that it a solid device for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 11:30 AM
    At first I felt like this story was fabricated but looking at your number of post, I thought this guy couldn't be a troll. I am not going to call you a troll or any name calling but simply advise someone like you who feels this strongly about a device should just move on. Sell your passport and get something else like an iPhone or the Nexus. No one is forcing you or your wife to use the Passport.

Personally I haven't experience these things you mention nor seen any other documented cases from other forum members. It's just so happened you are the single rare case and deserves a little more attention but it won't solve anything if slam Blackberry. No forum members would want to help you if you keep up with the negative attitude.

Just keep your cool and prove to us the video you claim to be true. Once everyone is convince the problem is a real one, we as a Blackberry fan community will learn something new and probably work together to find a solution to your problem.
    Adomeliss and bungaboy like this.
    01-02-15 11:59 AM
    Am I the only one who ordered from Amazon, received a brand new sealed unit, works perfectly with zero issues and extremely impressed with the hardware? Feels like the best built Blackberry yet..

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 12:24 PM
    That's too bad to hear. My passport has been amazing no complaints at all so I hope it's just your bad luck.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 12:35 PM
    I was one of the first to buy as well....PERFECT PHONE!!!

No issues at all. Sorry to hear about yours....11 times though?

To those reporting issues after the 2nd or 3rd device, why continue getting the same device ? Why not move on with life?

It reminds me of the definition of insanity.....

All these posts about issues is like dejavu (no relation to the name, or is there?)lol.....

This the 11th unit in row to have an "issue"?

Hmmm, something definitely different going on, that's for sure.

I definitely do not get that, maybe I'm missing something here.... or am I really just helping this type of post?

It is great forum to report issues and get help on what to do (in case something happens) but after reporting issues 11 times ( and counting from the looks of it) seems odd to me.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-02-15 12:50 PM
    Is it really??? Every Passport?? Every single passport?? Geezus the lengths some people will go to make a point eh??

OP you just have some absolutely terrible and I mean terrible luck with your Passport's. I've had my Passport since launch, give a week or 2 and so far absolutely no issues whatsoever. Other than a little light bleed from some keys but I can live with that, camera focusing is terrible that much I will admit as new years eve tried taking a few pics and it wouldn't focus properly at least for a few mins lol.

As for your issues?? Yes you are possibly the most anal person in here, seems like any small issue you find in your Passport causes you to post a thread. I was on your side but now as others have said you are either trolling or just looking for some attention. And yeh I know u don't care what I or others have to say but you are kind of getting a bit stupid with these threads.

It's plain to see that the Passport ain't for u, in fact perhaps BlackBerry isn't for you so do yourself and everyone else a massive favour and just move to an iPhone or Android device and be done with it.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-02-15 12:51 PM
    Is it really??? Every Passport?? Every single passport?? Geezus the lengths some people will go to make a point eh??

OP you just have some absolutely terrible and I mean terrible luck with your Passport's. I've had my Passport since launch, give a week or 2 and so far absolutely no issues whatsoever. Other than a little light bleed from some keys but I can live with that, camera focusing is terrible that much I will admit as new years eve tried taking a few pics and it wouldn't focus properly at least for a few mins lol.

As for your issues?? Yes you are possibly the most anal person in here, seems like any small issue you find in your Passport causes you to post a thread. I was on your side but now as others have said you are either trolling or just looking for some attention. And yeh I know u don't care what I or others have to say but you are kind of getting a bit stupid with these threads.

It's plain to see that the Passport ain't for u, in fact perhaps BlackBerry isn't for you so do yourself and everyone else a massive favour and just move to an iPhone or Android device and be done with it.

Posted via CB10
    Clearly BlackBerry is for me, otherwise I would not waste so much time hassling with this junk of a phone. Were that not the case I would have long ago moved to a different platform so please spare me the lecture on what I should and should not use. The OS is great, the form factor fits me very well, and yeah, I am the target customer for this device. The hardware is junk.

Here's a video of the issue by the way. You may need to turn up the volume to hear the grinding and clicking noises of the focusing motor when it comes to that segment around 2:40 into the video. The rapid flashing of the focus is visible throughout so pay close attention.

https://mega.co.nz/#!3Vk0DQaI!zWM5KP...5kd8Az8B8P5Kds

Finally, unlike the lot of you who just sit on the sideline and do nothing, I am actually communicating all of these issues directly to BlackBerry so that they can address them as QC/sourcing issues. I think we both know how well that goes over most of the time based on xsacha's experience reporting critical security flaws - oh right, he decided not to do that any more because BlackBerry wanted to lock him into an NDA and has forced him off of BlackBerry World.
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-02-15 at 02:31 PM.
    01-02-15 02:06 PM
    Funny, I use most phones that hit the market. Even if I don't use it for long I give it a try and see how it works.
    And maybe I am one of the lucky ones but my passport feels very solid and strong. One of the things i like about BlackBerry is that they most of the time feel solid, and with very good signal strength and call quality.
    So guess you have some very bad luck with the devices..

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:02 PM
    Dejanh, the link doesn't work, meanwhile I still fail to see proof of your claims against these phones. The attitude is extremely negative to a point you are somehow obligated to use blackberry.

You say you want to help, you are doing it all wrong, you are bashing the product with hate, contact BlackBerry directly and explain the flaws you experience, forums are a great place for that but it is clear you are unfit to come here and socialize with people about the complications you have.

Yet you claim you don't care what people think or what they say yet you continue to post nothing but negative information, expect replies in return.

Perhaps it is YOU that is the problem, so many claims no proof from your other endless threads of BlackBerry bashing. Bashing BlackBerry and degrading it's products isn't helping at all.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    01-02-15 03:26 PM
    Enough!

Get some help with your issues man.

You've Chicken Littled and Cried Wolf for too long here at CB.

I bought 5 Passports since launch and not one single issue with any of them.

Get some professional help.
    01-02-15 03:59 PM
    Enough!

Get some help with your issues man.

You've Chicken Littled and Cried Wolf for too long here at CB.

I bought 5 Passports since launch and not one single issue with any of them.

Get some professional help.
    That had me rolling as I was thinking the exact same thing!

My barbers bought a passport, as did my optometrist, a few employees where I happen to bank....and guess what!!?? None of these people reported issues...Apply for quality control at BlackBerry, you can make it better, right?

90 of the passports you bought had keyboard light bleed, LED light bleed, so on and so forth... I'm more inclined to think your brain is bleeding dude, go get some MRI scans or something.
    marzfreerider and Pdinos3 like this.
    01-02-15 06:06 PM
    Youre asking for sympathy from the wrong group. This is an enthusiast board, People are going to dismiss your abrasive comments.

I do agree the camera is a weak point of the phone. I loaded a leaked OS and the camera issues have mostly disappeared. Not IPhone or S5 quality, but much better.

I can see how youre pissed with the high cost of the phone. Blackberry should repair it under warranty.

Good luck. I had many issues with a VW Jetta diesel, and the enthusiast berated me because I bitched and moaned. VW dealerships hated me when I cam in. Why? Because they kept putting the same POS fuel pump in that had known issues

I traded the heap in never looked back.

Good luck.
    01-02-15 06:31 PM
    Riker what do you think of the situation on this thread?

Passport camera focusing mechanism failed-rikerfacepalm.jpg

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    01-02-15 07:03 PM
    actually the camera focuses pretty good with OS that shipped with my passport, lighted keyboards have a tendency to bleed light, everyone I've ever used on my computer has too, oh well, I do however have a problem with my passport and that is it won't charge and had to send it back for repair, rather than start a thread on here, and get a lot "well plug it in responses" and have the thread derailed by the third post I dealt with blackberry for my issue, other than the charging problem I think it's a solid device

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and thymaster like this.
    01-02-15 07:34 PM
    This is my first time using BlackBerry phone as I'm coming from a iphone based system. I've the passport for almost 2 months and other than the usual camera focusing issues, it is still a damn solid phone comparing to Samsung, Nokia or even HTC. I like the keypad and in fact make lesser typo errors than using my iphone 6 plus. Maybe you are just unlucky, return the set and replace with a new one. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    01-02-15 07:53 PM
    This is my first time using BlackBerry phone as I'm coming from a iphone based system. I've the passport for almost 2 months and other than the usual camera focusing issues, it is still a damn solid phone comparing to Samsung, Nokia or even HTC. I like the keypad and in fact make lesser typo errors than using my iphone 6 plus. Maybe you are just unlucky, return the set and replace with a new one. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently he did 11 times or so he says.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 09:20 PM
35 12