Hi all,

I just found my old Blackberry Bold 9700 after running on an iPhone 3gs (yeah I know, that very old ... and iPhone, but whatever!).

I subscribed at CricketWireless the last week. Everything works fine with the iPhone, but I wanted to try with the Blackberry (running on the OS 5). I can receive the SMS/call but I don't have access to the data.

I tried to contact Cricket and they told me Blackberry isn't supported by cricket as a smartphone, which means it is not possible to have data. I read some of your talk saying you can use cricket with a Blackberry Passport, or Q10.
    Do you have any tips to configure the phone?

Best, and merry Christmas!
    12-21-14 03:55 PM
    I just purchased a replacement Blackberry 9700. I have the new Cricket GSM service, which is actually AT&T's AIO. I slipped my SIM card in my new 9700, updated the Service Books with the hacked version I've been using, and my phone works for Voice, SMS, MMS pictures, MMS Videos, and for the BlackBerry Browser using the Cricket/AT&T Data Plan. BlackBerry App World will work for downloading new Apps, but only when using the WiFi. I haven't tested GPS yet, but have no doubts that it will work fine over the Cricket/AT&T Data as well.

I think the key for making the new Cricket/AT&T work with a BlackBerry (without a BlackBerry Plan), is in making sure that your BlackBerry is an original AT&T phone. Then once the updated Service Books are added, it's like magic - everything just works (well, not email, but I use Logicmail IMAP).

Give me a holler and I'll forward you the Service Books that I've been using

UPDATE: GPS works fine too using BlackBerry Traffic
    Last edited by David Schrom1; 12-26-14 at 09:01 PM.
    oldno7brand likes this.
    12-26-14 08:24 PM
    The difference is in BIS/BES. You can hack the phone to get mst functionality such as updating/changing the service books such as David said. I think that you would be able to recieve text messages and MMS but you would have to use a third party email client and most likely a different browser such as Opera.
    01-13-15 08:25 AM
    Please send the books to jonkvh5150 at aol dot com I have a storm 2 recently switched to Cricket and would like my MMS and Net Back. I also would like the APN settings if you have them
    06-14-15 05:55 PM
    I just purchased a replacement Blackberry 9700. I have the new Cricket GSM service, which is actually AT&T's AIO. I slipped my SIM card in my new 9700, updated the Service Books with the hacked version I've been using, and my phone works for Voice, SMS, MMS pictures, MMS Videos, and for the BlackBerry Browser using the Cricket/AT&T Data Plan. BlackBerry App World will work for downloading new Apps, but only when using the WiFi. I haven't tested GPS yet, but have no doubts that it will work fine over the Cricket/AT&T Data as well.

I think the key for making the new Cricket/AT&T work with a BlackBerry (without a BlackBerry Plan), is in making sure that your BlackBerry is an original AT&T phone. Then once the updated Service Books are added, it's like magic - everything just works (well, not email, but I use Logicmail IMAP).

Give me a holler and I'll forward you the Service Books that I've been using

UPDATE: GPS works fine too using BlackBerry Traffic
    David please forward the service books to jonkvh5150 at aol dot com
    06-16-15 07:01 PM
    Can easily "hack" (not actually hacking at all, it's impossible!)it by restoring a backup. But that doesn't even enable BBM or E-Mail due to the fact that you aren't on a BIS specific data plan.

Typed using my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    06-21-15 05:58 PM
    So how is it being done...I know I had my Storm on Metro PCS with full MMS, SMS, Internet etc no problem using service books. You can run these older blackberries non-BIS with workarounds..... I just need the one for Cricket!
    06-22-15 11:42 AM
    So how is it being done...I know I had my Storm on Metro PCS with full MMS, SMS, Internet etc no problem using service books. You can run these older blackberries non-BIS with workarounds..... I just need the one for Cricket!
    Non-bis is cellular data, plain and simple. BBM and e-mail, some twitter applications will not work due to relying solely on BIS. I'm assuming you already know this. Servicebooks are provided by the carrier, restoring them won't even work.
    06-22-15 02:06 PM