I've been with Rogers for 6-7 years and usually upgrade my device yearly, usually costing me early fees. No big deal.

Due to side projects in life I now need an Android device (damn you Google services) and was eyeing out the HTC M8. In order to get it Rogers wants me to switch to a share everything plan.

Problem though, is that they offer very little for their price. All taxes in I pay $80/month and have exactly what I need. Closest share everything to match is $85 before taxes and I'd still need to have some add ons. That's be $110-120 with taxes per month.

I tried to explain to Rogers that it is cheaper for me to buy the HTC at full price (which I would do from any company but them), switch SIMs and continue using my current plan than it is to buy out my phone and sign a new share everything contract with them. They don't see the logic behind it and won't budge.

My real rant here is that Rogers plans have become so ridiculously expensive for so little offered. And they refuse to keep long time customers happy.

Rant over, thanks for reading.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:59 AM
    I've been with Rogers for 6-7 years and usually upgrade my device yearly, usually costing me early fees. No big deal.

Due to side projects in life I now need an Android device (damn you Google services) and was eyeing out the HTC M8. In order to get it Rogers wants me to switch to a share everything plan.

Problem though, is that they offer very little for their price. All taxes in I pay $80/month and have exactly what I need. Closest share everything to match is $85 before taxes and I'd still need to have some add ons. That's be $110-120 with taxes per month.

I tried to explain to Rogers that it is cheaper for me to buy the HTC at full price (which I would do from any company but them), switch SIMs and continue using my current plan than it is to buy out my phone and sign a new share everything contract with them. They don't see the logic behind it and won't budge.

My real rant here is that Rogers plans have become so ridiculously expensive for so little offered. And they refuse to keep long time customers happy.

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to the world of data plans.... think most carriers are trying to "switch" users to their newer plans these days. For most Families they can be a better deal, but for individuals - especially those with older unlimited plans that some carrier's once had, there is no doubt that upgrading is not really a "good" option.

So you best bet is just to buy a new device, pay full price and switch the SIM (or if need be get a new one).
    12-18-14 08:12 AM
    I'm surprised the CRTC hasn't started an investigation on these 3 stooges for collusion because they all raise their prices in par.

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:12 AM
    I'm surprised the CRTC hasn't started an investigation on these 3 stooges for collusion because they all raise their prices in par.

Just wait until there are only two stooges....
    12-18-14 03:56 PM
    Haha I don't wanna see that happening.

Just wait until there are only two stooges....

12-18-14 04:53 PM
    It's always been like that every carrier does it.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:25 PM
    I came back from a trip in march 2014 and got an upgrade on a new 2 year term without having to switch to a new plan.

So no carriers don't always make you do that.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:46 PM
    When two year terms came out, Bell made you switch to a newer plan. Now, not for Rogers until August 2014. Before that, you could keep your 6GB "super plan" but they strongly suggested to us that we migrate them over to Share Everything.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:24 PM
    The share everything plans are really only good if you have upwards of 3 or 4 phones. They're especially good if some of the users don't consume much data, which allows for the others to use more. But if you only have 1 or 2 phones, it's definitely not worth it

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 07:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    I know it's harsh but welcome to the culture if wireless business in 2015!!!
    Rogers has completely overhauled their plan/price structure due to the loss of three year contracts! I did the same thing in July to get my partner a new device and upgrade!
    What they will or will not do for you is all based on tenure! The length of time you have been a customer doesn't really qualify for much! In you future dealings with Rogers only speak to the retentions department! They are the only department that has access to codes on customer accounts to invoke any discounts or specials. The minute you deal with customer service, you conversation gets logged and they will use that information against you! This is what customers don't know! That's why regular customer service osso hesitant to transfer you to retentions because customer agents are trainees to sell or upsell first. Customer care agents have zero ability to add promos,discounts or renewal offers that's why I never bother with them and insist I get tansferred to retentions.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 12:37 PM
    I was in the same boat too. I've been with Rogers with my BlackBerry plan since 2007. When I most recently upgraded to my Passport in October 2014, I had to switch to a Share Everything plan even though I wasn't sharing anything with anyone else. It bumped my monthly bill up from around $60/mth to now $85/mth. In any case, I'm not displeased with it nor am I upset. I just live with it.
    04-02-15 02:29 PM
    I have the Quebec 60 with unlimited nationwide calling and 3GB. I bought my Passport at full price at the Rogers corporate store in a mall.

There wasn't any issue keeping my plan nor should there have been.

Each carrier wants a basic minimum amount of money per month when you renew. For telus it was $50 on 3yr terms now it's $70 on 2yr terms.

Take a look at Telus' site and you will also notice you can't really even get a plan to cost $70/month and if you manage you barely get any data.

The only way to go from now on is to buy your own phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 09:56 AM
    I had an old share plan that was around $150? 2 lines, 400 shared min, 500mb data each rogers to rogers/fido, added call display, 2500 text value pack... it had worked out for me but now my minute usage shot up to almost 1000/month... so eventually decided to switch to share everything... it worked out better because now it's $120 for unlimited canada-wide, text and call display with 2gb shared.

I agree the new plans may not be better depending on your usage. It worked out for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 10:54 AM
    I was in the same boat too. I've been with Rogers with my BlackBerry plan since 2007. When I most recently upgraded to my Passport in October 2014, I had to switch to a Share Everything plan even though I wasn't sharing anything with anyone else. It bumped my monthly bill up from around $60/mth to now $85/mth. In any case, I'm not displeased with it nor am I upset. I just live with it.
    If that was over 2 years, you paid $600 for the phone without interest. You shouldn't be displeased at all.

That's about as fair as it goes.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 08:11 PM
    If that was over 2 years, you paid $600 for the phone without interest. You shouldn't be displeased at all.

That's about as fair as it goes.

Posted via CB10
    OK now do the actual math...

Original Bill with Tax:
    $60 * 1.13 = $67.80/month

New Bill with Tax:
    $85 * 1.13 = $96.05

Bill Difference over 2 year Term:

(96.05 * 24) - (67.80 * 24) = $678

Cost of Passport on a 2 year Term is/was $249.99

Add the Difference over 2 year term and phone with tax:

$678 + (249.99*1.13) = $960.49

To buy the phone outright is $699.99*1.13 = $790.99

Subtract the 2 year share everything vs. Outright price and you get :

960.49 - 790.99 = 169.5

You are being forced to pay an extra $169.50 over 2 years in this scenario just to get a new phone because they make you switch plans. That is Rogers forcing you to spend that because you cannot get a subsidiary price just for re-signing a contract anymore.

For those of us with amazing plans as is should just buy outright and save the cash over the long haul.

Posted via CB10
    anon(870071) likes this.
    04-12-15 06:48 AM
    I have been lied to to many times to count. They say it will be cheaper but it never is.

I now just buy my phones unlocked and hang up on robbers every time they call.

P.S when you get put up to a higher level of support for showing interest. RUN!!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:47 AM
    OK now do the actual math...

Original Bill with Tax:
    $60 * 1.13 = $67.80/month

New Bill with Tax:
    $85 * 1.13 = $96.05

Bill Difference over 2 year Term:

(96.05 * 24) - (67.80 * 24) = $678

Cost of Passport on a 2 year Term is/was $249.99

Add the Difference over 2 year term and phone with tax:

$678 + (249.99*1.13) = $960.49

To buy the phone outright is $699.99*1.13 = $790.99

Subtract the 2 year share everything vs. Outright price and you get :

960.49 - 790.99 = 169.5

You are being forced to pay an extra $169.50 over 2 years in this scenario just to get a new phone because they make you switch plans. That is Rogers forcing you to spend that because you cannot get a subsidiary price just for re-signing a contract anymore.

For those of us with amazing plans as is should just buy outright and save the cash over the long haul.

Posted via CB10
    He didn't mention the $249.99 on top of the additional plan pricing. Sucky deal if he did have to pay the $249.99. Especially since the Passport could have been purchased for less than $699.99 through the various promotions to save $50/75/100. October was around Black Friday deals, I think.
    04-12-15 06:54 PM
    Just checking back into this thread. Yes, I did pay an additional $250 for my Passport. I had an old retention plan at $60/month prior to switching over to the Share Everything. While I'm very acute to my finances, I didn't care to buy the phone outright just to keep my existing plan. After switching to the Share Everything, I still contacted Rogers customer service directly and had them reduce my monthly charge plus increase my data allowance.

I don't have the plan details in front of me but I recall that if I hadn't contacted them directly after the fact, I'd be paying around $95 or so per month for my Share Everything plan.

EDIT: Just reviewing the calculations above. I should point out that my monthly bill is $85/month after tax and was previously $60/month after tax.
    04-15-15 10:51 AM
    I did this a year ago when my partner wanted a hup and was on my account as a separate data voice plan. With then current user discounts and loyalty discounts my fees for that line increased from 80$ up to 120$. It was a promo for an S5 + smartwatch combo. SInce then I have migrated all 5 lines to a current share plan. And yes paying more for services.
    06-04-15 03:22 AM
    Honestly I was looking over plans the last couple of days with my contracts coming to an end soon. I have 4 users in the family currently on a share plan. We are honestly ripped off beyond necessity in Canada. They expect us to pay more monthly for "smartphones" vs "smart picks", then they make us take out a second mortgage for devices, on a 2 year no less. To make things worse, you still pay activation on each and every device. Let's say I decide to upgrade the entire family to the regular S6. That's $280 x 4, plus additional costs upfront, and not to mention the $275 pre tax monthly charge.

Amazing.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 07:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    I use to work for rogers in customer care and yes this is/was and currently a huge thorn in people's necks. Ever since the srtc mandated the removal of three year contracts, rogers and most other companies have re-organized their plans to accommodate two year pricing! They want to be able to get the subsidy placed on hardware. It's pretty much all about the $$$. The systems now will not allow hardware upgrades unless a customer changes their plans to a share everything which is a lot more expensive.

I was in the same shoes as you as I too am also a long time Rogers Wireless customer. The system would not permit a hup with my older plan and in order to process the hup I had to migrate to a current share plan and now I'm paying 60$ more than my original plan.

And then to confuse the public even more they split the pricing between whether your device is a premium smartphone or non premium. With the cheaper options of buying a phone at full price and then getting a reduction on the monthly plan fee. They maneuvered this so that the company would not lose the third year subsidy on hardware. Forcing customers to pay full price for a phone as the third option. Really!? Hups are there so customers can get their handsets cheaper. But for some it might be better off paying full price for your device to keep your original plan.

 Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-20-15 09:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    When I did a hardware upgrade to a BlackBerry Priv I was able to keep my current data plan. I did not buy the BlackBerry Priv outright and signed a two-year contract. Net I saved twenty dollars a month over the term of the contract.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    12-03-15 08:53 PM
    Rogers Wireless plans are expensive and in lock-step with Bell Mobility and Telus. We are being ripped off compared to the US carriers and European carriers.

07-11-16 07:39 PM
    Can't do much unless you buy out rite. I just switched myself just recently but it took a lot of negotiation to get to a price point I felt at least "ok" with. The good old days of deep loyalty credits are long gone.
    08-25-16 04:06 PM
    Since the CRTC forced the wireless carriers in Canada to offer 2-year plans the carriers simply increased the cost of the plans. It is too bad T-mobile cannot come to Canada.

09-01-16 04:37 PM
26 12