I went in to purchase a cheap t-mobile phone and protect it like crazy with the otterbox case due to my work environment, it's dangerous for phones. The rep referred me to the xperia z3 and said it was shatter and water proof and told me not to get the protective case because this will fit my needs.

Unfortunately, the flap that made it waterproof fell off in 2 days so I ordered a new one then the screen shattered.

I've called t-mobile several times but there was nothing they could do. I had insurance on it but it wasn't covered because I had broken the screen of the galaxy s3 twice even with expensive protective cover. This is why I purchased the xperia for that very purpose.

Yes, I've told my employers I will no longer use my phone for work.

I've meant to get the phone fixed at a local company but I can't afford it right now so I've had my phone sitting on my shelf for 2 months now while I use a cheap replacement phone.

I'm still paying off the phone each month but this high bill is hard to keep up with.

I need to switch to a cheaper phone company but I'm stuck until I can get that phone fixed and returned.

Does anyone know any other options?
    12-15-14 10:57 AM
    how can an insurance not be covering the damage....thats something you've got an insurance for.....
    12-15-14 11:00 AM
    how can an insurance not be covering the damage....thats something you've got an insurance for.....
    Because insurance companies are only in business to make money for their shareholders

Probably some escape clause they had in their fine print, perhaps he already claimed too ma y times on previous devices...

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    SparkBerryBold likes this.
    12-15-14 11:52 AM
    I think he got kicked off his insurance due to breaking 2 previous screens.
    12-15-14 11:57 AM
    Because he already used his two claims on his S3.

Canada Channel C00123A4A
    12-15-14 12:01 PM
    I'm sorry, but why is this in the CrackBerry forums? Wouldn't the TMO Support Forums, or maybe Android Central be a better place for this?
    MobileMadness002 and ponpiri like this.
    12-15-14 12:07 PM
    I'm new to this..took me a while to find the ability to post and that forum site didn't help. I got responses of being a crappy phone owner rather than the fact I was told a phone was both water proof and shatter proof after explaining why I needed the most protection possible
    12-15-14 10:01 PM
    No phone is waterproof and shatterproof. Can't believe people actually fall for that. Some models are water resistant and shatter resistant.

That's like a car salesperson telling a customer the vehicle they're looking at is accident proof. It's not.

Whatever phone you choose next, put a glass screen protector on it if available. It's the newest protection option. It's the first layer to break before your screen does.
    12-15-14 10:53 PM
    I'm using a glass protector on my Z10. It has a surface crack on it and the edges show some abuse. Worth every penny. I think I will buy a fresh one now that this one took its share of abuse.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 11:52 PM
    I know how frustrating the T-Mo forums can be, crowded with jerks, IMHO. I have a moto Defy that I use as a backup phone, and it is a tough little bugger. But people break those too. I would see if your work place couldn't pitch in and sort your phone. See if they can compensate you as an expense?
    12-16-14 11:23 AM
    It would be a bit of a internet search project, but I came across a Chinese phone that was a combination of ruggedized Android phone and UHF two way radio. I'm not sure it would be a phone you would want to use all day, but you could swap simcards.

Verizon used to carry ruggedized phone, but they were dumb phones.

These all plastic Z10s are plenty rugged if you use a Transform case and a tempered glass protector. I don't like metal on the side of a phone because it dents.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 12:12 PM
    Because insurance companies are only in business to make money for their shareholders

Probably some escape clause they had in their fine print, perhaps he already claimed too ma y times on previous devices...

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    You sound so ignorant in your first point.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    12-18-14 04:48 PM

You should read the Apple Care disclaimers. They have the right to void anything that looks like in their opinion careless handling.

My idea of insurance is to physically protect the phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:30 PM

Ignorant? How do you figure? Insurance companies are truly in business to make money first... usually to their investors or other entities with a vested interest... aside from not-for-profit business operations, practically no business is operating for the shear pleasure of losing any amount of money. Further, I have relatives working for insurance companies and have had to deal with them for various claims... in a nutshell, if they can spend five bucks to save a nickel the will. They will have escape clauses in their policies of they find they're losing money having you as their customer... If anything, it sounds as if you're rather ignorant of how businesses work. Go read through all your insurance policies and their fine print and tell me otherwise.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    12-18-14 05:33 PM
    ‎This is the fine print in Apple Care for the iphone.
    Note that customer abuse is not covered. So basically all Apple care does is protect you from a defective product. You are going to known in a years time if the device is good or not, so the insurance is totally worthless in my opinion. And Apple Care is considered to be the best of the lot.

Hence my comment that insurance means protecting the phone. The nice thing about BlackBerry phones is other than the screen, they are very tough.

Getting back to the iphone, they refused to fix those white iphones that turned pink due to heat. This was a few years ago. Your pink phone was a cosmetic issue.

Now the iphone4 was prone to glass cracking if you got it hot. All phones have a disclaimer of 100 degrees F for operating conditions, but there are places that exceed that temperature. It generally is never a good idea to buy the early production model of any phone until user data has hit the net.
    ------------

4. What is not Covered?
    4.1 Hardware Service.* Apple may restrict service to the Covered Equipment�s original Country of Purchase. The Plan does not apply to:
    (ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (�AASP�);
    (v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports;
    *‎
    (vii) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product.‎

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:14 PM
    Never, ever, ever believe the sales person who is trying to meet a sales quota. Some of them will promise you anything if they think it means a sale. Do your own research. Plus some of the sales people don't know very much about the devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 12:52 PM
    ‎This is the fine print in Apple Care for the iphone.
    Note that customer abuse is not covered. So basically all Apple care does is protect you from a defective product. You are going to known in a years time if the device is good or not, so the insurance is totally worthless in my opinion. And Apple Care is considered to be the best of the lot.

Hence my comment that insurance means protecting the phone. The nice thing about BlackBerry phones is other than the screen, they are very tough.

Getting back to the iphone, they refused to fix those white iphones that turned pink due to heat. This was a few years ago. Your pink phone was a cosmetic issue.

Now the iphone4 was prone to glass cracking if you got it hot. All phones have a disclaimer of 100 degrees F for operating conditions, but there are places that exceed that temperature. It generally is never a good idea to buy the early production model of any phone until user data has hit the net.
    ------------

4. What is not Covered?
    4.1 Hardware Service.* Apple may restrict service to the Covered Equipment�s original Country of Purchase. The Plan does not apply to:
    (ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (�AASP�);
    (v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports;
    *‎
    (vii) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product.‎

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure no insurance on earth covers abuse.
    12-20-14 09:15 AM
    Apple Care doesn't even cover accidents.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:49 AM
    Apple Care doesn't even cover accidents.
    AppleCare+ does.
    12-20-14 08:42 PM
    AppleCare+ does.
    (2) AppleCare+ for iPhone provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling. Each incident is subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax.

So I pay $99, then $79 for the repair. Such a deal!!!

What Apple really needs to do is make a more rugged phone, not one that people can bend with their hands.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 09:10 PM
    (2) AppleCare+ for iPhone provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling. Each incident is subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax.

So I pay $99, then $79 for the repair. Such a deal!!!
    It is when a person is faced with replacing their device for $500 or more.

Apple is the only phone manufacturer to offer such coverage.
    12-21-14 07:17 AM

Well, one could say that Apple is selling you a very pricey piece of gear, then charging a hefty fee for insuring that gear, which I guess they will then replace with another piece of their pricey gear (if need be) which is way smarter than handing you money to go buy something else... or will they cash you out?
    12-21-14 10:34 AM
    Well, one could say that Apple is selling you a very pricey piece of gear, then charging a hefty fee for insuring that gear, which I guess they will then replace with another piece of their pricey gear (if need be) which is way smarter than handing you money to go buy something else... or will they cash you out?
    They would replace it with an identical model. You're right, it is a great way to keep users in their ecosystem.
    12-21-14 02:29 PM

Except you need to figure out the cost of repair. You paid $180 for a repair that might be under $100.

I have a friend who by the nature of his job takes phones apart. Given the crappy build quality of the iphone, he has repaired many for friends, albeit begrudgingly. They just aren't that hard to fix. If you live in a metro area, there are mobile phone repair vans.

That stupid home button is the second most likely thing to break on the iphone, but easily repaired.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:57 PM
    You can only have 2 claims in a 12 month period. If you go over that, then they will cancel your insurance regardless.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:37 PM
30 12