Just wanted to see if any AT&T customers are having the same reservations about switching over as myself. Currently I am on AT&T and have a pearl and pay $75 a month for 450 min, data and email and 2000 text messages. They will now upgrade me to the bold for $200 and I think I could get them to give me an even better deal. With Verizon it seems like for their blackberry's they nickel and dime you to death. For the same sort of package I would have to pay $25 more a month or $300 a year - $600 more for the 2 year commitment.

I also travel to south america which has 3g networks that are not compatible w the storm but are with the bold.

The problem that I have is that I really wanted the storm but with the reviews plus the much higher rate plan I am seriously considering staying with my pearl.

As an aside - verizon seems to have great plans for non blackberry phones which are much less expensive w more options like the navigator package.

Anyone else feeling the same way??
    11-20-08 10:49 AM
    my bill with vzn for 450 min, unlimited data, unlimited in text messaging and 500 other texts is $73/month after my work discount of 18%. vzn has only given me early upgrades that i'm not really eligible for, so i really can't complain. but i just was pointing out what i pay with vzn/month
    11-20-08 10:58 AM
    I'm with AT&T and am seriously considering leaving for VZW and the Storm. I pay about $130/mo for a 700 min/mo family plan with BIS service for my 8800. Under VZW, I would be paying about the same for a 700 min/mo family plan with BIS service.
    11-20-08 10:59 AM
    unfortunately I don't receive an an employer discount. So I will be stuck picking up the entire bill...
    11-20-08 11:07 AM
    I left AT&T in April after a harrowing 4 months $ 2700 in billing (with 1500 of that being OVERBILLING) with VZW you get what you pay for. OH & as far at the Storm NOT working in South America because they are GSM please remember that the Storm works on GSM networks when roaming as well so that should NOT deter you from jumping the shark & truly getting what you paid for.
    11-20-08 11:16 AM
    planning on switching for the storm.all the reviews have been makeing it a hard sell.I think at&t and verizon are very comparable in my area for voice,but verizon is better for 3g coverage.so it is either 2 storms or stay and bold for myself and iphone for my wife.
    11-20-08 11:21 AM
    I am currently an AT&T customer until November 24th. I will leave AT&T to go to Verizon for the Blackberry Storm specifically, and I don't feel one ounce of regret.

Verizon is the better carrier between the two imo. It has a faster network and more coverage, which are the two most important factors for any wireless company. They are making more of an effort, which I very much like, by increasing coverage around the world with their new 4g network-LTE.

AT&T just doesn't cut it anymore in my opinion. I'm just thankful I leaving when I did.
    11-20-08 12:50 PM
    As for gsm - I realize I can roam on gsm but that's 2.5g. In Argentina they have a different spectrum (similar to att) than the roaming 2100 spectrum that the storm has. That means when roaming in south america I will not have 3g. In europe it will work on their 3g networks but not here. So that is an issue. W the bold it comes with tri-band hsdpa 3g so it will work anywhere that there is a 3g network. Verizon left the other two spectrums off so people couldn't unlock the phone and jump to at&t...
    11-20-08 12:52 PM
    An as an aside I HATE AT&T and would love to switch from them! But at the end of the day I don't let my emotions impact my decisions and make the best decision for functionality and price...
    11-20-08 12:54 PM
    I left AT&T in April after a harrowing 4 months $ 2700 in billing (with 1500 of that being OVERBILLING) with VZW you get what you pay for. OH & as far at the Storm NOT working in South America because they are GSM please remember that the Storm works on GSM networks when roaming as well so that should NOT deter you from jumping the shark & truly getting what you paid for.
    Actually they will work anywhere in the world. Here are the world bands.
    11-20-08 12:56 PM
    i am a current AT&T customer using the bold, which is a great phone. the wifi is really not a big concern for me, so that is not holding me back from swtiching. i have no real bones to pick with at&t, i have been with them for a long time, and have a great voice plan, that you can't even get now, and verizon's plans just don't compete with it. i currently pay $59.99 for our first line and have 2 add ons for $9.99 each, and get 1200 mins a month, verizon's plans start out at like $119.99 for 1400 mins for the first line, so it would cost me about $60 more a month, not sure a storm is worth that. at&t service is fine in my area too, so that is not a reason to swtich either.
    i really don't feel like i am "settling" with using the bold
    the storm looks awesome, but i think i will try and play with one and figure out if i really feel like if i have to have it.
    11-20-08 01:18 PM
    i am a current AT&T customer using the bold, which is a great phone. the wifi is really not a big concern for me, so that is not holding me back from swtiching. i have no real bones to pick with at&t, i have been with them for a long time, and have a great voice plan, that you can't even get now, and verizon's plans just don't compete with it. i currently pay $59.99 for our first line and have 2 add ons for $9.99 each, and get 1200 mins a month, verizon's plans start out at like $119.99 for 1400 mins for the first line, so it would cost me about $60 more a month, not sure a storm is worth that. at&t service is fine in my area too, so that is not a reason to swtich either.
    i really don't feel like i am "settling" with using the bold
    the storm looks awesome, but i think i will try and play with one and figure out if i really feel like if i have to have it.
    If I had that plan I don't know if I would switch either. But I'm sure the Bold is great.

*Edit* I pay $149 plus $20 for the extra 2 lines for 3000 minutes. For 1400 mins that seems kind of expensive.
    Last edited by FUSIBLE; 11-20-08 at 01:57 PM.
    11-20-08 01:55 PM
    I recently left AT&T and I was on a family plan with 1400 mins and iphone 3g data plan for about $130.00 but recently they've been charging me $200.00+ and now I'm on Verizon with a lender phone for me to return on Friday when I get my storm and I got the same plan and the same $$$ but with a few extras...
    11-20-08 02:34 PM
    If I had that plan I don't know if I would switch either. But I'm sure the Bold is great.

*Edit* I pay $149 plus $20 for the extra 2 lines for 3000 minutes. For 1400 mins that seems kind of expensive.
    The $119 he's talking about must be the Family plan that has unlimited text/mms. And it's for 2 lines, not 1. $9.99 for each additional line up to 5.
    11-20-08 02:40 PM
    I'm considering leaving at&t for the storm. Fortunately for me, my brother is already on verizon and is getting a storm, so I'll play around with his for a little. If I like it, I will see how verizon's prices compare with what I pay now on at&t, and if I like it, I'll probably switch. Paying the at&t ETF and buying a storm at the 2 year contract price is still cheaper than buying a bold off contract!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 02:47 PM
    It has a faster network and more coverage
    Wrong. AT&T is the faster 3G provider in the United States. You are right about the more coverage part though. I have been loving AT&T ever since I left Sprint. No dropped calls or any other problems.
    11-20-08 02:49 PM
    yeah, maybe i got confused and the $119 was for the first two lines, and just $9.99 for one add on then. my bad!
    still a bit more money though just to switch!
    i was asking so many question, the girl probably thought i was crazy!
    what happens if i port my number from AT&T to verizon, and am not satisfied with the service, do i have a time frame to go back to at&t and get my ETF back?
    thanks
    11-20-08 03:01 PM
    yeah, maybe i got confused and the $119 was for the first two lines, and just $9.99 for one add on then. my bad!
    still a bit more money though just to switch!
    i was asking so many question, the girl probably thought i was crazy!
    what happens if i port my number from AT&T to verizon, and am not satisfied with the service, do i have a time frame to go back to at&t and get my ETF back?
    thanks
    That's a Q for AT&T.
    11-20-08 03:06 PM
    I've got the Bold, and although I'm really impressed with the Storm after playing with one inside a VZW store, I just don't see myself making a switch as I feel it will be a lateral move phone wise. The main reason I'd be doing it is for the bigger screen. I sacrifice either way. I love the Storm's bigger screen, but I prefer the physical keyboard of the Bold. Don't get me wrong, I think the Storm's SurePress keyboard is adequate and IMO leagues above the iPhone's. Impressive technology for sure, but not enough to make me switch carriers and make a lateral move. Now, when there is a GSM touch Blackberry with Wifi, I'm all over it!
    11-20-08 03:35 PM
    I am an iphone 3G owner, and seriously thinking about going to verizon. The storm suits my needs more since I am more inclined to message, email, SMS etc.. than to be watching video and listening to music.
    11-20-08 03:47 PM
    I am an iphone 3G owner, and seriously thinking about going to verizon. The storm suits my needs more since I am more inclined to message, email, SMS etc.. than to be watching video and listening to music.
    its a no brainer picking the Storm over the iPhone. Now paying the ETF and switching to Verizon, thats a different story. I really like the Storm, but I'll wait till there is a GSM touchscreen Blackberry.......I think
    11-20-08 03:49 PM
    I am in a different position. In my area, Verizon has much better coverage, but I have stuck with Cingular/ATT because they had the better BB's and cheaper plans. Now I am off contract on my old 8700c and trying to decide between a Bold and Storm. The choice is not a simple one, but hey, I am fortunate to be able to choose between two great BB's!
    11-20-08 04:03 PM
    I really like the Storm, but I'll wait till there is a GSM touchscreen Blackberry.......I think
    Isn't the GSM version suppose to be capable of data and voice communication at the same time? If so wouldn't that make it worthwhile to wait till that version comes out? (For those who like to talk 'n surf at the same time).
    11-20-08 04:05 PM
    After those reviews, I wouldn't switch from AT&T for the Storm. Wait it out and see how it fares for a couple weeks before making the move. The best thing said about the phone was it is the best blackberry on Verizon. Most say the iPhone and Bold are better phones.
    11-20-08 04:08 PM
    I don't see how people will switch carriers for a device. You switch for coverage in your area, not a device.

Well it's all personal preference indeed.
    11-20-08 04:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD