I've done a fair amount of research on this (read CrackBerry, BerryReview, OurBerries, comments on those, and a few other pages), but I would like to hear from real BB10 users with real AT&T accounts.

Question :

When you buy your BB10 phone, pop your SIM into it, and give the IMEI to AT&T so that they can activate it on your account, does AT&T provision you with a special "BlackBerry data plan"?

No, right? The research I've done suggests that the BIS service - and its corresponding BlackBerry data plans - are only provisioned on pre-BB10 phones.

So let's say you have a non-BB phone with a DataPlus 2GB or whatever on your account. When you do the above, does that DataPlus 2GB feature stay a DataPlus 2GB feature, or is it changed to something else? Some BlackBerry equivalent?

I'm assuming that it stays the exact same data feature, but I would like to hear from real AT&T users with a BB10 device who can speak from experience and know which data features were on their account before and after a switch from a non-BB device to a BB10 device.

I have an Android phone currently and the new Classic is incredibly tempting, but I'm not willing to risk losing my grandfathered unlimited data feature without knowing in advance what the results will be.

Thanks very much for any assistance.
    12-04-14 10:12 PM
    There is no BIS for BB10. You give them your IMEI, because they have a right to know what device is on their network. Your plan is fine.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-14 10:39 PM
    There is no BIS for BB10. You give them your IMEI, because they have a right to know what device is on their network. Your plan is fine.
    Are you speaking from articles you've read (as I have), or are you speaking from experience? If from experience, would you mind mentioning from which device to which device and from which data feature to which data feature? (even if it stayed the same) Thanks.
    12-04-14 10:44 PM
    I work in the industry. Your unlimited data is safe. The LTE SOC codes for Android/non-iPhone are the same, pre-BB10 BlackBerry devices required a different SOC code to enable the correct provisioning for BIS. AT&T still has different SOC codes for the unlimited data feature depending on whether your device is 3G/4G or an iPhone.

Posted via CB10 from my AT&T BlackBerry Z10 seed phone.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-05-14 01:10 AM
    I just switched to a passport this week from an iPhone. I did not need to change anything on my plan although for some reason they couldn't explain I needed to get a new sim. I assume it had to do with my iMessage not being in the system, but other than that everything has been fine.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-05-14 03:08 AM
    I work in the industry. Your unlimited data is safe. The LTE SOC codes for Android/non-iPhone are the same, pre-BB10 BlackBerry devices required a different SOC code to enable the correct provisioning for BIS. AT&T still has different SOC codes for the unlimited data feature depending on whether your device is 3G/4G or an iPhone.
    Awesome! Thank you so much for your post.

I just switched to a passport this week from an iPhone. I did not need to change anything on my plan although for some reason they couldn't explain I needed to get a new sim. I assume it had to do with my iMessage not being in the system, but other than that everything has been fine.
    Great, thanks. :-)
    12-05-14 10:46 AM
    Previously, i have Z10 and Q10 and upgraded them all with Z30 STA100-5 unlocked. When i got the phones insert the sim card from my old Z10 and Q10, it works fine but i did not get LTE signal only 4G. So, i think it is wrong, why I did not get LTE since my Z10 and Q10 did? Anyway, i called the AT&T support for them to send me free Sim card hopefully with the new Sim card, I will get LTE signal. When i got the sim card, called them back for their assistance so they took IMEI # and ICCID# input into their system. After everything is done, I still did not get LTE signal. They told me to wait for a few days since it is new sim card. Well three days have passed no LTE, but some of our friends in CrackBerry community suggested me to give them my IMEI# from my Z10 instead. I have not done that yet. I have 15GB of data and there is nothing change in my account.
    12-05-14 11:02 AM
    Previously, i have Z10 and Q10 and upgraded them all with Z30 STA100-5 unlocked. When i got the phones insert the sim card from my old Z10 and Q10, it works fine but i did not get LTE signal only 4G. So, i think it is wrong, why I did not get LTE since my Z10 and Q10 did? Anyway, i called the AT&T support for them to send me free Sim card hopefully with the new Sim card, I will get LTE signal. When i got the sim card, called them back for their assistance so they took IMEI # and ICCID# input into their system. After everything is done, I still did not get LTE signal. They told me to wait for a few days since it is new sim card. Well three days have passed no LTE, but some of our friends in CrackBerry community suggested me to give them my IMEI# from my Z10 instead. I have not done that yet. I have 15GB of data and there is nothing change in my account.
    My guess is the lte bands are not supported on Z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 08:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    STA100-2 is the correct Z30 for at&t.
    12-05-14 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's right, Z30 only had LTE bands used by AT&T in very few metro areas.

I activated the Passport on AT&T when it first came out, never had to do anything special. Currently running two Passports on AT&T and they work well without anything more than a regular mobile share plan.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 08:10 PM
    I've been an AT&T customer since it 1994 (well, it's changed names three times) and a BlackBerry user since 2007.

With my first device, 8310, I wasn't required to purchase data or BIS. We had 4 BlackBerry devices on our plan at that time.

At some point between 2007 - 2011 AT&T changed their "rules" and said anyone w/ a smart phone must have a minimum 200mb data plan. But this requirement was only applied to new plans/ upgrades. But others were grandfathered in.

However when we upgraded our phones, we lost our grandfather privilege. So when I got my 9810 I was required to add the 200mb plan. That was in 2011.

AT&T has now changed that rule and says 300mb minimum on new plans / upgrades.

So if I choose to upgrade my device I'll have to up my data plan as well. However by buying a verizon z30 and using AT&T sim I was able to bypass this requirement.

But I've never been required to add BIS to any plan.

Now with regards to bands. The Z30STA100-3 is capable of LTE on the AT&T network if one of these bands is available in your area :

I have friends in Puerto Rico, NY and IL that use vzn z30 on AT&T and all get LTE. However I am in GA and do not get LTE but do get 4g.

Now with all that said.... I have a vzn q10 on vzn network and when I do speed comparisons, must of the time they are equal or my z30 is actually faster.

I am.... Mrs Peevishlicious
    12-05-14 09:09 PM
    @moody, that's a fact and clusterfriggle, which is why I stick to recommending the 2.
    moody likes this.
    12-05-14 09:14 PM
    @moody, that's a fact and clusterfriggle, which is why I stick to recommending the 2.
    *inserts emo kid* .....

I am.... Mrs Peevishlicious
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-06-14 08:08 AM
    AT&T s main LTE Band is 17, the sta1005 does not have that band use an app called lte discovery to see what bands are where you live. Where I live in FL I just get band 4,5 occasionally, but band 17 is everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 36dbldz; 12-07-14 at 07:54 AM.
    Mozdony and moody like this.
    12-06-14 02:18 PM
    AT&T s main LTE Band is 17, the sta1005 does not have that band use an app called lte discovery to see what bands are where you live. Where I live in FL I just get band 4,5 occasionally, but band 17 is everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    This is my experience also. I had an AT&T branded Z10 on AT&T near Portland, Oregon and received LTE coverage. Then I bought a new Z30 when the U.S. Price hit $225. I dropped my old Z10 SIM into the New Z30 and called AT&T to give them the IMEI number of the new phone for activation. After that I noticed that the new STA 100-5 received 4G coverage only in my area. On further research, I found out that AT&T's LTE coverage in my area operated only on band 17 and that band 17 was not supported by the new Z30. Now, if I really want LTE coverage, I will have to switch to T-Mobile since T-Mobile operates on band 4 in my area and that band is supported by the new phone. I am not a T-Mobile fan, however, and will probably just live with 4 G coverage which is fairly fast in my area ( but not as fast as LTE).

By the way, same data plan, no special data plan required but I was already a Blackberry user.
    Last edited by Mozdony; 12-07-14 at 08:59 AM.
    12-07-14 08:44 AM
    The data plan for OS 10 BlackBerry phones doesn't have BIS services attached to it. Anyway, the system now rapidly identifies SIM swaps and is supposed to quickly set you up with the correct version of any data feature you may need.
    12-13-14 05:04 AM
    The data plan for OS 10 BlackBerry phones doesn't have BIS services attached to it. Anyway, the system now rapidly identifies SIM swaps and is supposed to quickly set you up with the correct version of any data feature you may need.
    So this is in contrast from what I've been hearing from everyone else. From the bolded text, it sounds like you're saying there's a different data feature that BB10 phones use from the regular data features that Android phones use for example. Am I understanding you correctly?
    12-13-14 10:29 AM
    So this is in contrast from what I've been hearing from everyone else. From the bolded text, it sounds like you're saying there's a different data feature that BB10 phones use from the regular data features that Android phones use for example. Am I understanding you correctly?
    You seem to be digging for an issue. The plan is a standard data plan, just like android and iPhone use. Period

How the phones interact on the system once connected varies, ie Google Services, iTunes, any number of messaging apps and their security system, etc. That's what the bold is about.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-13-14 10:48 AM
    You seem to be digging for an issue. The plan is a standard data plan, just like android and iPhone use. Period
    I'm not digging for an issue. Of course I believe the majority; my mind is not easily swayed. I'm just collecting everyone's opinion - nothing wrong with that.
    12-13-14 12:58 PM
    ATTDmitriyCM Jul 30, 2013 6:42:12 AM Community Manager
    Correct, plans are the same for all types of smartphones.
    Re: Data Plans for Blackberry - AT&T Community

You've received fact from the start, not opinion.
    12-13-14 05:48 PM
    Only the difference between a cake with chocolate frosting, and a cake with milk chocolate frosting. The difference is mainly in titling, not in services provided.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-15-14 09:28 AM
    Once upon a time, in faraway lands, where the pre-OS 10 BBerry was in enormous demand because of its data compression (BIS) plans, carriers experienced serious push back when they tried to sell the new OS 10 phones. Such that they came up with "fake" BIS plans -- plans using the BIS name only -- but which were in reality (of course) standard data plans. Most also concocted reduced data rate plans to go along with the charade. This was because BIS had essentially attained the status of a superstition. Seriously.

Then these users began showing up on BBerry support forums when they switched to carriers who were clueless to this voodoo and who told them (the truth) that their phones would not work on BIS. For a while it got kinda ugly and confusing for new (and some old) users. Add to this the general drool factor of carrier reps who mistakenly still believed you needed BIS... and it took about a year for the dust to settle.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-16-14 10:52 AM
    I recently added my BBZ10 to a line that was assigned to an iPhone, the iPhone line had unlimited data, when I made the switch, I first asked if I'd lose the unlimited data and the answer was no. They did honored the plan with me using my Z10. They tried to persuade me into changing to a different plan and of course I said; NO!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 02:52 AM
    yes unlocked Z30s will get either LTE or 4g depending on phone...but tho a spec difference, I'm not sure how much real life difference you might notice between them?
    01-05-15 08:37 PM
    Before using an unlocked phone, make sure that it supports the LTE and UMTS bands used by AT&T, especially in your area. If necessary, a case can be submitted to find which frequency bands are used where you live, so you can see if a phone would only be useful to you on vacation, or everywhere.

The biggest pain is that a very small number of people are versed in this subject, that is admittedly useless to most people. It would be like having the ability to read pig-Klingon
    01-09-15 10:13 AM
27 12