Planning to buy a Q5 red for my daughter. A few questions:

* Will 10.3 be coming to Q5? Or is it already out of date?
    * What parental control features are there available out of the box?
    * What is the experience about the battery life?

Thanks
    11-28-14 11:38 AM
    Planning to buy a Q5 red for my daughter. A few questions:

* Will 10.3 be coming to Q5? Or is it already out of date?
    * What parental control features are there available out of the box?
    * What is the experience about the battery life?

Thanks
    Yes, 10.3.1 will be coming to the Q5. Around mid-jan.
    I'm attaching the screenshots of the parental control options.
    Battery life would be at a decent best. Comparable to a Q10. But better than a Z10. And at the end of the day, it comes down to how you use the device.

Q5 for my child-img_20141128_231139.png
    Q5 for my child-img_20141128_231145.png
    Q5 for my child-img_20141128_231149.png
    Q5 for my child-img_20141128_231152.png

Posted via my White.Leopard
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    11-28-14 11:45 AM
    I'd argue that the battery life is outstanding on the q5 -- I get around 2-3 days of moderate usage (lots of WiFi and I use VoIP for all calls/texts).
    11-28-14 11:50 AM
    You could also load a leak of 10.3.1 on the Q5. I'm using 10.3.1.1016 and it's very stable; runs beautifully on the phone. Autoloader installation is a breeze, especially on a new phone since there's nothing to worry about backing up. And when the official update is out, the phone will still receive that, too.
    11-28-14 12:01 PM
    You could also load a leak of 10.3.1 on the Q5. I'm using 10.3.1.1016 and it's very stable; runs beautifully on the phone. Autoloader installation is a breeze, especially on a new phone since there's nothing to worry about backing up. And when the official update is out, the phone will still receive that, too.
    It's for his/her child. And IS concerned about even the parental controls. So it's not sensible to advice to use a leaked os. The child would need a trustable & stable official version.

flyingsolid likes this.
    11-28-14 12:06 PM
    It's for his/her child. And IS concerned about even the parental controls. So it's not sensible to advice to use a leaked os. The child would need a trustable & stable official version.

So I read. Recent leaks are completely safe and in fact official OSes. Just providing an easy way to get 10.3.xx.
    11-28-14 12:09 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. Indeed, I am worried about parental control, and therefore asked the question. Didn't realize the options shown here - how could I miss it... I guess I never needed on my BlackBerry, so I never noticed it. The options provided in the parental control are good. I am not so worried about getting the 10.3 onto the device from first day, but was wondering if Q5 would still get it. Your responses have rest assured that indeed it will be coming to Q5 as well.

What I eventually want to do is to install a BES12 server / have a cloud installation and be able to manage all the BlackBerry's in the family. I did have a post about it earlier, and wanted to see the possibility of having a GPS tracking type of feature to locate the kids BlackBerry's. I guess the BlackBerry protect would do so in the first place. I know that a lot of you might warn me about the legal aspects. I respect your opinions, but need to have this option available as a peace of mind for me and my wife when the kid is on school trips. BES12 for consumers installed in the cloud could not come soon enough...
    11-28-14 12:38 PM
    As long as the data is on on the Q5, it can be tracked through BlackBerry Protect online. Just sign in with THAT device's BlackBerry I.D.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 10:11 PM
    Q5 is waaay better than z10 for battery. Have both and only sometimes need to charge in the evening on Q but the z need a mid day change every day. Which is is fine if you have a desk job like me

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 12:42 PM
    Got the Q5 and have now set it up. Works well. Thank you for all the comments.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 01:15 PM
    So after some time with parental control, here are a few suggestion for improvements:

- add feature to block BBM channels only
    - add ability to remove the facebook app

I like how it works now. My daughter has started to use the BlackBerry and it is amazing how intuitive the OS is.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 01:35 AM
    So after some time with parental control, here are a few suggestion for improvements:

- add feature to block BBM channels only
    - add ability to remove the facebook app

I like how it works now. My daughter has started to use the BlackBerry and it is amazing how intuitive the OS is.

Posted via CB10
    Only people above a certain age can use bbm channels, so that depends on the age you've set for her in her bbid.

However channels is pretty heavily moderated, so it probably won't be so bad.

You can also remove the facebook app. Just delete it.

Passport on Wind
    12-19-14 01:41 AM
    Thank you. Didn't realise that the BlackBerry ID birthday was used to limit the BBM channels. Regarding Facebook , tried deleting it, but it didn't work. Will try again today after a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 12:14 PM
    Thank you. Didn't realise that the BlackBerry ID birthday was used to limit the BBM channels. Regarding Facebook , tried deleting it, but it didn't work. Will try again today after a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    Tap and hold icon. Trash can comes up, delete?

If that fails, then blackberry world, my app, installed, and uninstall from there.

Passport on Wind
    12-19-14 03:09 PM
    Tap and hold icon. Trash can comes up, delete?

If that fails, then blackberry world, my app, installed, and uninstall from there.

Passport on Wind
    Indeed, that is how I would delete by tapping and holding. However the trash can is not appearing...

Will try the BlackBerry World option later

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 12:56 PM
    Have u upgraded the OS to the latest one? If I am not wrong there wasn't an option to delete FB in the earlier builds. Try updating the FB app and then try deleting it.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-02-15 01:32 PM