A few things give me amazing battery life. Hopefully these methods could be used for your devices as well. I also have some android apps from 'snap' app store. Running OS 10.3.0.908

Email - sync once an hour, manual
    Location services - disabled
    Brightness - 30% (a habit. as was on all the smartphones I've ever owned)
    NFC - disabled
    CB10 app - notifications disabled, no sync
    Twitter - no sync , manual
    Igrann - no sync , manual
    Flipboard - no sync, manual
    Nobex - no sync, manual
    WiFi on the other hand I don't usually turn off, depends on the percentage my battery is running off of. Same goes for bluetooth.

**A BLACK OR DARK WALLPAPER** for devices with an AMOLED screen
    **DARK SETTINGS FOR BBM AND ANY OTHER APPS THAT SUPPORT THE DARK THEME FEATURE** (credit here goes to Joshu42)

AMOLED screens: Q10, Z30
    LCD: Passport, Z10, Q5, 99xx, Z3

**DO NOT LET YOUR BATTERY DIE. THIS CAN HURT BATTERY LIFE IN THE FUTURE.
    ** DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BATTERY DEAD FOR TOO LONG

My most used apps in no specific order:

-Browser
    -CB10
    -Email
    -MMA Underground (Android)
    -Nobex
    -Flipboard (Android)
    -Netflix (Android)
    -Hulu (Android)
    -Slacker radio
    -Twitter
    -eBay (Android, I think)

***There are people here that are having trouble with their BlackBerry. Could be your Passport or your Z10 battery. Whatever the case, try this to 'recalibrate' your battery.

1. Charge device to 100% (Can be from whatever point, 1%, 20%, etc..) DO NOT LET YOUR BATTERY DIE.
    2. Keep device plugged into charger and perform a hard reset on your device by holding down both the 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down' keys.
    3. Let go of those keys when the device turns off. It will reboot. You should have a better experience with your battery after this.

*****REMEMBER*****
    DO NOT REMOVE YOUR PHONE FROM THE CHARGER DURING THE
    ENTIRE PROCESS.
    WAIT UNTIL THE DEVICE REACHES 100%. NOT 98%, NOT 99%. 100%!! BEFORE YOU HARD RESET THE DEVICE.

***This method goes for ALL BlackBerry 10 devices***

People here know I'm on the forums a lot. Here's my battery usage SINCE LAST CHARGE.

Off the charger Saturday Night at 11:45PM, 100% charge.
    Battery current charge, Monday at 11:50AM, 27% charge.

BB10 Battery Fix 4 You-img_20141117_114618.png

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    Last edited by Coraya; 11-17-14 at 06:27 PM.
    11-17-14 11:28 AM

There are people here that are having trouble with their BlackBerry. Could be your Passport or your Z10 battery. Whatever the case, try this to 'recalibrate' your battery.

1. Charge device to 100%
    2. Keep device plugged into charger and perform a hard reset on your device by holding down both the 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down' keys.
    3. Let go of those keys when the device turns off. It will reboot. You should have a better experience with your battery after this.

*****REMEMBER*****
    ENTIRE PROCESS.
    WAIT UNTIL THE DEVICE REACHES 100%. NOT 98%, NOT 99%. 100%!! BEFORE YOU HARD RESET THE DEVICE.

How do you know that this re-calibrates the battery?

For instance after this reset does it say you have less than 100% again because it has realised there is capacity not filled?

For instance, fully charge to 100%, calibration reset, charging meter now shows 88% (12% differential on battery meter reading) then phone proceeds to charge again until at 100%? Otherwise how do you know it made any difference?

I might try this so it's just a general question! Cheers

It's a phone, I'm not "running it" or "rocking it" I just use it. Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3062
    11-17-14 12:57 PM
    Quote from an old post of mine
    There are several overheating and/or battery draining issues :
    • weak signal
    • 4G (LTE)
    • faulty battery
    • Android apps (Skype, games, ...)
    • continuous usage of the phone for hours (obviously)
    • GPS, NFC, DATA, Wi-Fi, bluetooth, ...
    • accounts sync (with the contacts list as first culprit)
    • after a fresh reload (See Accounts sync)
    • after setting the encryption to On
    • device full

So :
    • never charge your battery in small increment
    • never use your phone during charging
    • don't let your phone in direct sunlight too long
    • use imap instead of pop for your emails
    • check your accounts sync settings
    • customize your notifications
    • avoid vibration mode
    • enable bedside mode at night
    • avoid Android apps
    • close unused active frames
    • check your headless app in Permission settings ("Run in the Background")
    • adjust your screen brightness
    • lock your screen when not use or buy a leather pouch/holster with a magnet
    • customize your screen lock timeout
    • stop the thing you don't always need : GPS, NFC, etc... try 2G for a while
    • stock your media on a SD card
    • restart the phone and/or take off the battery for a while

For the Q10 users around here who want to reset the battery estimated time, just power off your phone, pull the battery, connect the official charger and push the power on button. Then, disconnect the charger, replace the battery and switch on the phone.
    And after further test, I can also tell you that a pitch black background and overall dark theme for phone with an Amoled display is really battery efficient. I mean, you can easily go to 2 days with a Q10.
    11-17-14 12:58 PM
    Quote from an old post of mine
    And after further test, I can also tell you that a pitch black background and overall dark theme for phone with an Amoled display is really battery efficient. I mean, you can easily go to 2 days with a Q10.
    Great point!! Stealing that one from you

11-17-14 01:05 PM
    How do you know that this re-calibrates the battery?

For instance after this reset does it say you have less than 100% again because it has realised there is capacity not filled?

For instance, fully charge to 100%, calibration reset, charging meter now shows 88% (12% differential on battery meter reading) then phone proceeds to charge again until at 100%? Otherwise how do you know it made any difference?

I might try this so it's just a general question! Cheers

It's a phone, I'm not "running it" or "rocking it" I just use it. Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3062
    Several users in these Crackberry forums have tried this and confirmed that it DOES work. I haven't tried it myself because my battery is fine. It wouldn't hurt to do it if you're having an issue with your battery. I understand you're question but I can't answer it given I don't have to do it myself. I assume that's what happens. I apologize that I can't answer the question. But do try it! It worked for several people here!

11-17-14 01:07 PM
    Joshu42,

But it is not possible to just use 2G on BB10 smartphones right?

It isn't possible on my Q10 or my Z30.

11-17-14 01:17 PM
    Good advises.
    But I'm not sure about recalibration method proposed. Is it recommended by Blackberry engineers?
    As for 1 hour email sync interval, it is not for everyone, certainly. Depends on work requirements and life style.
    11-17-14 01:19 PM
    Several users in these Crackberry forums have tried this and confirmed that it DOES work. I haven't tried it myself because my battery is fine. It wouldn't hurt to do it if you're having an issue with your battery. I understand you're question but I can't answer it given I don't have to do it myself. I assume that's what happens. I apologize that I can't answer the question. But do try it! It worked for several people here!

I'll def give this a go next time I charge up! As to the specifics of my question about what happens to the % indicator after the reset, maybe somebody else who has done it could chip in here for me?

11-17-14 01:19 PM
    Good advises.
    But I'm not sure about recalibration method proposed. Is it recommended by Blackberry engineers?
    As for 1 hour email sync interval, it is not for everyone, certainly. Depends on work requirements and life style.
    It's worked for several people in the forums recently. I haven't read a situation in which it didn't work so I threw it in the post to help anyone that needs it. It doesn't hurt to try. You're not backing up or restoring from anything. It's a painless procedure.

As for 1 hour sync intervals, I'm just sharing how I use my device. It's definitely note for everyone, I agree. I work sales in a way that I'm only required to check my email once an hour. I manually refresh my email if I really have to.

11-17-14 01:31 PM
    Good hints
    Thx for sharing

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 01:37 PM
    But it is not possible to just use 2G on BB10 smartphones right?
    It's a carrier setting. With mine, I can only do 3g only and :

BB10 Battery Fix 4 You-img_20141117_203628_edit.png

Yeah, but don't mix up Sync and Push.

If you have Push enable on the server and on your phone, you will be notified immediately of your new mail.

Sync enables the synchronization of your mail status (read, delete, moved, ...). If you work on another client at the same time (your desktop), it's better to have a short sync or a manual one, so you can switch from one to another and keep an updated stream. Of course having a short sync, and not working on mails, are not battery efficient. I agree with Coraya, 1h is great. If Push is enabled, manual is even better
    11-17-14 01:46 PM
    But I'm not sure about recalibration method proposed.
    The idea I guess is to recalibrate the estimated time left. It's the right way. Just add that you must do full cycle (100% to 0) then charge it to full without using it
    11-17-14 01:52 PM
    The idea I guess is to recalibrate the estimated time left. It's the right way. Just add that you must do full cycle (100% to 0) then charge it to full without using it
    One thing that I learned here is that it's not good to let these batteries die. I've definitely experienced worse battery life on my q10. I've let it die plenty of times (not on purpose, just a lot of use) and battery life seems to get worse.

11-17-14 01:57 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141117_203628_edit.png 
Views:	2671 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	315096

Yeah, but don't mix up Sync and Push.

If you have Push enable on the server and on your phone, you will be notified immediately of your new mail.

Sync enables the synchronization of your mail status (read, delete, moved, ...). If you work on another client at the same time (your desktop), it's better to have a short sync or a manual one, so you can switch from one to another and keep an updated stream. Of course having a short sync, and not working on mails, are not battery efficient. I agree with Coraya, 1h is great. If Push is enabled, manual is even better
    No, I do not mix them.
    I see what you mean and I am aware about advantage of Push. But immediate notification does not work always in real life. I have 3 of my 4 email accounts with Push on and manual sync. Mail notifications arrive with delays (from minutes to hours) in all three. Gmail is the fastest, Yahoo is the slowest. That's why I don't risk to keep my 4th (business) account on Manual and keep 5 min sync.
    May be it depends on the server, indeed.
    11-17-14 02:04 PM
    That sounds reasonable, thanks. I have done that with Battery Guru (love that app). Very slow process, unfortunately...
    11-17-14 02:07 PM
    Dark theme and wallpaper on LCDs?

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    11-17-14 02:11 PM
    Dark theme and wallpaper on LCDs?

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    Aren't the passport and q10 screens different? Either way, I would assume darkness would take up less battery since a white background uses more light/power

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-17-14 02:14 PM
    One thing that I learned here is that it's not good to let these batteries die. I've definitely experienced worse battery life on my q10. I've let it die plenty of times (not on purpose, just a lot of use) and battery life seems to get worse.

And that is my main reason to think twice about going to Passport with its huge - but unremovable battery. I did "kill" my batteries several times in past 15 years. Phone/handheld left in a backpack in a car(aircon off) under the sun at +35C temp, etc.
    11-17-14 02:16 PM
    Aren't the passport and q10 screens different? Either way, I would assume darkness would take up less battery since a white background uses more light/power
    As I said, it's for Amoled display, like on the Q10 I tested. Passport has a LCD display, black background and Dark theme change nothing. In fact, white is more efficient on these as you do not use electricity to black out pixels.
    11-17-14 02:18 PM
    One thing that I learned here is that it's not good to let these batteries die. I've definitely experienced worse battery life on my q10.
    Not right... did you use your phone while it's charging ?
    By, say, recharging your phone when you have 20% left, you're shortening each time the estimated battery left. Don't forget that it's a learning process.
    Now, considering the type of battery, there is no harm by doing so after the first 30 cycles. It's even recommended. I quote :
    Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.
    But you're right, I said 0, 1% is the target !
    And if you stored this battery somewhere (cold place of course), do so half-charge (statistics tell 40% is the best).
    bbnrs likes this.
    11-17-14 02:36 PM
    Not right... did you use your phone while it's charging ?
    By, say, recharging your phone when you have 20% left, you're shortening each time the estimated battery left. Don't forget that it's a learning process.
    Now, considering the type of battery, there is no harm by doing so after the first 30 cycles. It's even recommended. I quote :
    But you're right, I said 0, 1% is the target !
    And if you stored this battery somewhere (cold place of course), do so half-charge (statistics tell 40% is the best).
    Thanks for the insight! These battery cycles and so on can be so complicated. there are so many different rules lol
    11-17-14 02:46 PM

Name:	IMG_20141117_203628_edit.png 
Views:	2671 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	315096
    Yes I believe I have the same. I even have a '2G and 3G only' option but I have never seen my network go onto 2G on this setting with either my Q10 or my Z30. Basically it doesn't matter what data bands I enable in the drop down menu, my phones always will use 3G or H+ (4G/3.5G) and just basically override whatever I set. This is annoying as I would love the potential to save battery by restricting my data to just 2G or even just regular 3G, but it just doesn't work.

11-17-14 03:16 PM
    A few things give me amazing battery life. Hopefully these methods could be used for your devices as well. I also have some android apps from 'snap' app store. Running OS 10.3.0.908

Email - sync once an hour, manual
    Location services - disabled
    Brightness - 30% (a habit. as was on all the smartphones I've ever owned)
    NFC - disabled
    CB10 app - notifications disabled, no sync
    Twitter - no sync , manual
    Igrann - no sync , manual
    Flipboard - no sync, manual
    Nobex - no sync, manual
    WiFi on the other hand I don't usually turn off, depends on the percentage my battery is running off of. Same goes for bluetooth.

**A BLACK OR DARK WALLPAPER** for devices with an AMOLED screen
    **DARK SETTINGS FOR BBM AND ANY OTHER APPS THAT SUPPORT THE DARK THEME FEATURE** (credit here goes to Joshu42)

AMOLED screens: Q10, Z30
    LCD: Passport, Z10, Q5, 99xx, Z3

**DO NOT LET YOUR BATTERY DIE. THIS CAN HURT BATTERY LIFE IN THE FUTURE.
    ** DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BATTERY DEAD FOR TOO LONG

My most used apps in no specific order:

-Browser
    -CB10
    -Email
    -MMA Underground (Android)
    -Nobex
    -Flipboard (Android)
    -Netflix (Android)
    -Hulu (Android)
    -Slacker radio
    -Twitter
    -eBay (Android, I think)

***There are people here that are having trouble with their BlackBerry. Could be your Passport or your Z10 battery. Whatever the case, try this to 'recalibrate' your battery.

1. Charge device to 100% (Can be from whatever point, 1%, 20%, etc..) DO NOT LET YOUR BATTERY DIE.

*****REMEMBER*****
    ENTIRE PROCESS.

People here know I'm on the forums a lot. Here's my battery usage SINCE LAST CHARGE.

Off the charger Saturday morning at 11:50AM, 100% charge.
    Battery current charge, Monday at 11:50AM, 27% charge.

Name:	IMG_20141117_114618.png 
Views:	2430 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	315078

Regular battery, first Z10 sold and activated.

I have all that turned ON, still get 12 hours on a charge.
    11-17-14 04:23 PM
    I can't find the synch setting for twitter
    11-20-14 10:03 PM
    Great advice to KILL Lithium ion Batteries...Do NOT follow this advice.
    Do Not Ever Let Your Battery Go to 0% Unless You Are trying to KILL Your Battery.
    Lithium Ion batteries get hot when charged from 0%. Lithium ion batteries do NOT like heat. It shortens their lifespan.
    Lithium ion batteries are not the same as NiCad or NiMH batteries. Lithium ions DO NOT HAVE A MEMORY ISSUE like those other two do.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    bbnrs, dmlis and Mecca EL like this.
    11-21-14 02:44 AM
42 12