Hey guys just wanted to let you know about a great experience I had today with the blackberry storm. I've been a longtime bb fanatic and I love my curve. I stopped by an actual verizon store to see if they had a storm demo, I was disappointed when I didn't see one. A few minutes after looking at a pearl for my wife I saw a corporate rep taking photos with a storm. I asked if it was the storm she said "yep" and put the phone in my hand she even walked away to do something else. I spent about ten minutes with the phone and here's my review

1. The software version was 4.7.0.65

2. The first thing I checked was the accelerometer. There was a two second delay when turning from portrait to landscape on the initial try but after trying a few more times it was more like a second. I asked the rep about this she said there is an ota update on the release day of the phone that will shorten the lagtime.

3. The screen is unbelievable and definitely rivals the iphone. I watched the babylon ad trailer an it was gorgeous. The speakers and sound are equal to the bold. The only screen I can say that would be better than this would be the bold.

4. The pushdown screen is where they did it right. It did take some getting use to but after typing about a paragraph I got use to it. I had an iphone at one time and got rid of it because my fingers are big and I'd often hit other keys, typing on this thing will be deadly accurate. The feel was awesome and I can't really describe it. Its better than any phone out there without a keyboard. Also those of you worried about the gap, don't worry about it, its barely noticeable. The only problem I foresee is water getting into the tiny space but the chances of wrecking the phone is about the same with the curve or any other bbs

5. I took a photo with it and ther is a 2 second delay before the actual picture is taken, this does worry me because of those precious moments. I was told by the rep that rim knows this and they are working on it.

6. The internet is just like getting on the net with your home computer and probably amost as fast. This phone doesn't need wifi if you're using it on verizon.

7. I accessed other programs without a hitch. They opened responsively.

8. The phone is absolutely gorgeous and one of the most elegant out there. It is smaller than I expected and fits beautifully in my hand.

All in all I would rate the phone about an 8 out of 10. The bold is about a 9.5 imo. The iphone is also a nice phone that excels in multimedia but the storm is good all around. I know some of you saw some similar reveiws and this is probably nothing new but just thought I'd share. I'm connfident that after a few updates it will be flawless. If any of you have any questions feel free to ask or just email me at [email protected]

Have a great day
    Michael K. Daniels
    11-19-08 12:06 PM
    Thank you. Can you tell me how much force was needed to depress the screen? Was it really light or stiff?
    11-19-08 12:11 PM
    It was extremely light, the screen doesnt go down far. It doesn't take much force at all. You don't have to worry about putting it in your pocket and accidentally hitting a key because it only really responds with your finger.
    11-19-08 12:13 PM
    Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to post your review!!!
    11-19-08 12:15 PM
    no problem
    11-19-08 12:15 PM
    Hey, why would you rate the Bold 1.5 points higher than the Storm? Does that have anything to do with the physical keyboard/personal preference?
    11-19-08 12:16 PM
    ...she said there is an ota update on the release day...
    Thanks for the additional confirmation of that too.
    11-19-08 12:18 PM
    good review Thanks ! but with an update to the OS would you raise that 8
    ????
    11-19-08 12:19 PM
    [QUOTE=sandbox;996271]Hey, why would you rate the Bold 1.5 points higher than the Storm? Does that have anything to do with the physical keyboard/personal preference?[/QUOTEN]

I rated the bold higher because the screen is brighter and more vibrant. Additionally the Bold is very fast with no delay whatsoever.
    11-19-08 12:20 PM
    Thanks for the additional confirmation of that too.
    capt ,,, we talked about this .. lol... no making civic mad lol
    11-19-08 12:20 PM
    nice work with the Extra large font mandrake, lol....

Good mini review. Reviews seem to be coming in fast and furious now and they seem to be getting a little more positive. Cant wait to check it out on friday.
    11-19-08 12:22 PM
    Can't wait, excited for the ota update!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 12:23 PM
    Am moving to the Storm from a Curve 8330 this Friday.

The major reason to migrate to the Storm is the multimedia capabilities. As a 2 yr MotoQ user who again experienced the issues of Windows Mobile gone wrong, Verizon moved me into a Curve.

A nice phone but the 8330 doesn't allow me to monitor Windows Media streams which is part of my professional duties. According to the specs, the Storm is WMV capable...

Thanks for your feedback.
    11-19-08 12:24 PM
    awesome. my friend just called me. they have their demo in. i am leaving to go check it out.
    11-19-08 12:27 PM
    so by any chance has anybody gone to the verizon store and gotten their hands on the storm and asked to see the case that comes with it and then repeatedly put the phone in and out of the case to see if they could get the buttons to fall off?
    11-19-08 12:28 PM
    capt ,,, we talked about this .. lol... no making civic mad lol
    Just trying to point out what Robert M. Pirsig so eloquently expressed...

"We take up a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness all around us... and we call that handful the Truth."
    11-19-08 12:30 PM
    How come you would give an 8 for the Storm and a 9.5 for the Bold? Mainly due to screen or functionality or what? Just curious.
    11-19-08 12:44 PM
    someone said on here i believe its Crucial and he said if water gets into the surepress screen. Then all you would have to do is turn it upside down to get out all the droplets. Because the actual screen is sealed from water damaged but not torrential down pours would ruin it.
    11-19-08 12:48 PM
    How come you would give an 8 for the Storm and a 9.5 for the Bold? Mainly due to screen or functionality or what? Just curious.
    OP answered this a few posts up...

I rated the bold higher because the screen is brighter and more vibrant. Additionally the Bold is very fast with no delay whatsoever.
    11-19-08 12:51 PM
    OP answered this a few posts up...

Oh damn. I know I read that too.
    11-19-08 01:15 PM
    to add to this, the movement in screen is about 0.5mm when pressed in, and imo now feels to me like a touchscreen should. i expect to see this feature integrated into future iphones
    11-19-08 01:17 PM
    I still dont understand why everyone is worried about screen gaps and water getting in...id be worried if water got on my phone period even if i didnt have a screen gap...but then again i treat my phone like "fine china" as someone posted in another thread
    11-19-08 01:30 PM
    I have tried both the bold and the Storm, and IMHO, there is no comparison. The Storm blows the Bold away. The Bold has a cheap feeling screen and does not look like a $300 unit, where as the Storm looks and feels like a better built unit.

Some like the design of the Bold better...I am not one of them.
    11-19-08 01:32 PM
    Some like the design of the Bold better...I am not one of them.
    And most of those folks are 6 months into their AT&T 2 yr contract!
    11-19-08 02:11 PM
    Thanks for the review! Much appreciated the detail.
    11-19-08 03:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD