So after reading around the forum, I feel as if my 9gb of memory is going to fill up quickly with third party applications to make my BB like my current phone.

A few examples:
    full screen caller id
    vibe+ring
    ...other stuff?

everyone with blackberries now, are the apps legit? will I be able to last a few days with the STORM w/o having to upgrade it (apps and stuff)? I do not mind reading underground stuff to change my storm up so that it is unique, but it is my first BB, so it will b a little learning curve.
    11-19-08 10:41 AM
    Omg. 9 gb is PLENTY. I have all of my 3rd party apps on my internal memory of my curve and still have room, and I have quite a bit of apps.

The memory card is mainly for media: music, movies, etc. There's no way possible you'd use 8 gb of apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 10:44 AM
    Apps have to be installed in 128mb of flash memory. You can't use the 9gb for apps, it is for media like ringtones, pictures, music, voicenotes, voicemails, etc.

11-19-08 10:44 AM
    haha. i mean yea, Ill most likely stick the 8 into my comp and transfer off some music! I have the LG V right now with a 2gb sd card and I found that I hardly actually listened to my music on it just because I have my laptop and iPod. but now with the 3.5mm BB headphone jack, I might change it up haha. thanks for the help.
    11-19-08 10:46 AM
    the phone comes with a gig of internal memory, that should be more than enough for any amount of apps you can find and should leave at least the 8 gig card for your media, i don't think lack of space for apps should be a problem
    11-19-08 10:56 AM
    Apps have to be installed in 128mb of flash memory. You can't use the 9gb for apps, it is for media like ringtones, pictures, music, voicenotes, voicemails, etc.

Actually there is a 3rd-party app that will allow you to install and run your other 3-rd party apps from removable media (I'll probably just install them onto the 1GB internal media and keep the 8GB SD card for media)
    11-19-08 10:58 AM
    Actually there is a 3rd-party app that will allow you to install and run your other 3-rd party apps from removable media (I'll probably just install them onto the 1GB internal media and keep the 8GB SD card for media)
    What's that app called?
    11-19-08 11:06 AM
    REALLY? What is it?
    11-19-08 11:11 AM
    What's that app called?

REALLY? What is it?
    Sorry, brainfart there. I normally will link to whatever it is I'm mentioning.

The name of the application is Aerize Card Loader 2008. I've used it on my current phone and it works pretty good. I'm not sure how well it will work on the Storm or if it will have to be upgraded to work.

EDIT: I just went through the buy portion where they have a section for what type of device your putting it on. The 9500 and 9530 were both listed there. Although not really able to purchase without knowing your BB PIN.
    Last edited by BoneHead; 11-19-08 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Update
    11-19-08 11:24 AM
    and while it will allow you to store apps on the external card, to run them you still have to swap them onto the Storm's internal memory. From what I can tell, the program just installs and uninstalls programs to memory on the fly. It doesn't allow you to run the apps directly from your external card. You also have to use the Aerize utility to package the apps so they can be loaded from your card. I still might give it a try but its not even close to a plug and play solution. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Ken
    11-19-08 12:54 PM
    and while it will allow you to store apps on the external card, to run them you still have to swap them onto the Storm's internal memory. From what I can tell, the program just installs and uninstalls programs to memory on the fly. It doesn't allow you to run the apps directly from your external card. You also have to use the Aerize utility to package the apps so they can be loaded from your card. I still might give it a try but its not even close to a plug and play solution. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Ken
    This is correct. It's nice if you want to install programs from your card so that you always have them...but there are free ways of doing that.

11-19-08 01:11 PM
    This is correct. It's nice if you want to install programs from your card so that you always have them...but there are free ways of doing that.

Exactly right. It is a common misconception that Aerize let's you run apps from a media card. You can store an app on the card and run the install from there, but it still installs and executes from the device memory. Same applies to the 1GB internal storage as far as I know. No apps can be run from there.
    11-19-08 01:21 PM
    Aerize is a scam. It DOES NOT free up any memory! it will only load/unload apps to "free up space"... but while the apps are in use, they are being run from device memory... not from the external memory!

11-19-08 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD