According to an Article by Corey Sommers at SeekingApha.com, Titled "Did BlackBerry Sell 200,000 Passports Or A Million?", Sommers Spoke to Blackberry Investor Relations office, they confirmed to him that FoxConn will be building the Blackberry Classic, and Wistron is building the Blackberry Passport.

The Passport box that i have in front of me said on it "Made in Mexico" I'm assuming Wistron got a factory there. Wistron also done the last run of BlackBerry 7 Bold Devices since they Strike a deal with Blackberry in March 2014.

All my NON-BLACKBERRY10 devices were made in Canada, Mexico or Hungary.

Sorry about not posting links to backup this info, I don't have the privileges yet(search google).
    10-24-14 07:40 PM
    I don't believe a single article written on SeekingAlpha. Anyone can post on there.
    bungaboy and boi2012 like this.
    10-24-14 07:46 PM
    I thought Chen had said before that Foxcon was building the classic?
    Please provide a quote that is directly from Chen.
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 10-24-14 at 09:50 PM.
    10-24-14 09:08 PM
    Hopefully this means it's going to be sold for good price!

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 09:12 PM
    Glad I got the passport then

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    10-24-14 09:17 PM
    What's wrong with Foxconn?

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-24-14 10:06 PM
    This is what I was thinking of
    "
    The second phone, the BlackBerry Q20 (which Chen dubbed "BlackBerry Classic" because of its keyboard) is designed for big business and government clients and will launch by the end of the year. It was also designed by Foxconn.
    It's already been made very clear by BlackBerry that Foxconn does not design the devices it manufactures for BlackBerry. There was an inside BlackBerry article about the Z3 where the head of design was asked that very question.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/09/z3-id-qa/

"There seems to be some confusion around this device. People, myself included, had thought it was entirely created by our partners at Foxconn. When I casually mentioned this, Brian was quick to correct me. As it turns out, he?s one of the minds behind the BlackBerry Z3 design, as well and there was a close collaboration between the two companies to ensure the design DNA remained across our portfolio. To clear up any misconceptions, we decided to do another impromptu Q&A dedicated to our beloved 5? smartphone that was designed with a specific set of users in mind.

DH: First, my apologies for the mix-up. Let?s take the opportunity to set the record straight. The BlackBerry Z3 Industrial Design was created by your team here in Canada?

BP: Yes, a team of talented BlackBerry individuals worked in close partnership with Foxconn to bring the device to market, and you?ll notice it has a distinct BlackBerry look and feel. This is because the industrial design was created in-house. We take pride in crafting a clean and understandable product at every price point."
    Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 10:07 PM
    What's wrong with Foxconn?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing, the Z3 is pretty good for what it is. I'm sure the Classic would be fine too.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 10:08 PM
    The thread topic here is who is building the Classic. Your link also confirms Foxconn. Think we're all in agreement this is not new news. Street analyst I've been in contact with have all along thought the design was mostly staying in-house at BBRY, which sounds like that article also confirms, and that design was in partnership in some ways (how small don't know) with Foxconn.
    Yes, but the important part is that BlackBerry still designs these things. The CNET article states "designed by Foxconn", which is incorrect. Just like how the Winstron guys at the plants in Mexico didn't design the Passport.

It's an important distinction to keep very clear because some (as evidenced by some earlier comments on this thread) automatically assume that a Classic will be less "by BlackBerry" simply because it may end up being put together by Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 10:33 PM
    On the topic of who's manufacturing what for blackberry, I came across this article at capacitorindustry dot com that gives us a good insight on whats going on with blackberry and its manufacturing partners in 2013 and how they restructured manufacturing resources & teams. (This article was before Foxconn announcement in early 2014)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wistron expected to become largest ODM for BlackBerry in 2013 - DigiTimes
    Posted on 05/15/2013 by CIN

Wistron has taken over BlackBerry�s R&D staff of about 100 members based in Chicago and is expected to undertake production of 50-60% of the vendor�s smartphones launched in 2013, becoming its largest ODM, according to Taiwan-based handset supply chain makers.

BlackBerry originally had five EMS providers producing its smartphones: Flextronics International, Jabil, Elcoteq SE, Celestica and Wistron, and has decreased the number of partners to two to three to concentrate procurement to minimize costs, the sources said.

In line with selling the Chicago-based R&D staff, BlackBerry has enhanced cooperation with Wistron from an EMS level to an ODM one, the sources indicated. Wistron is a major ODM for the Z10 and Q10, two BlackBerry 10 high-end smartphones, and will undertake ODM production of two mid-range and two entry-level models to be launched in the second half of 2013, the sources noted. Taiwan-based handset keypad makers Ichia Technologies and Silitech Technology are expected to benefit from Wistron�s deal, the sources said.

Although less competitive than Apple and Samsung Electronics in the global smartphone market, BlackBerry has had steady business and government user-bases and its smartphones are selling in emerging markets including the Middle East, Latin America and Indonesia with annual shipments of 30-40 million units, the sources indicated.

via Wistron expected to become largest ODM for BlackBerry in 2013.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*EMS (Electronics Manufacturing Services)
    *ODM (Original Design Manufacturer)
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-25-14 06:15 AM
    This is what I was thinking of
    "
    The second phone, the BlackBerry Q20 (which Chen dubbed "BlackBerry Classic" because of its keyboard) is designed for big business and government clients and will launch by the end of the year. It was also designed by Foxconn.

"We are definitely here to compete and make up some lost ground," Chen said during a press conference here on Tuesday.

Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou was also on hand, and expressed his confidence that the company will be able to deliver BlackBerry phones to the market.

While phones can take up to a year to be developed, Foxconn only spent 3 months on the products, and both Gou and Chen were able to hold up demo units of the touchscreen Z3.

Source: BlackBerry CEO confirms Foxconn-made Q20 and Z3 phones - CNET
    And we know that reports never get things wrong like "blackberry is going to stop making phones".

From the same announcement.

Sub-$200 BlackBerry phone coming in April from Foxconn | Computerworld
    Under the deal, Foxconn will take over development of low-end devices while BlackBerry will continue to develop high-end phones. Doesn't say anything about Foxconn making the Classic. but we know that Blackberry was involved of the development of the Z3.

Foxconn-made Q20 and Z3 phones to arrive this year, BlackBerry CEO confirms - Geek Arena
    This one says it in the title, but no where does it mention foxconn making the Q20 in the article.

BlackBerry Z3 and BlackBerry Q20 introduced in Barcelona along with BES 12
    This one doesn't say anything about the Q20 being made by foxconn, just that foxconn will manufacture certain handsets. They just don't say which ones.

That is why I want to see a direct quote from Chen that the Q20/Classic will be made by foxconn.

The closest I have seen from Blackberry itself was this article.

Mobile World Congress 2014: BlackBerry Forges Ahead with Introduction of New Products and Services | Inside BlackBerry

They mention the Z3 and Q20 and mention that Z3 was going to be built from foxconn. It seems that if they said that in the article, they would have mentioned the Q20 being built by foxconn too.

But if anyone has an article written by Blackberry, a press released by them or an actual quote from Chen that Foxconn is making the Classic, please post it. We all know how bad writers are about getting the truth out about Blackberry.
    10-25-14 06:24 AM
    It just seems suspect that it would be more cost effective to retool Foxconn to manufacture a physical keyboard device with a trackpad (neither of which they have ever done), rather than rely on Winstron, which was relied upon to manufacture the Q10 and the Passport. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them make the classic, and let Foxconn make the Z3 LTE/refresh?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 06:38 AM
    It just seems suspect that it would be more cost effective to retool Foxconn to manufacture a physical keyboard device with a trackpad (neither of which they have ever done), rather than rely on Winstron, which was relied upon to manufacture the Q10 and the Passport. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them make the classic, and let Foxconn make the Z3 LTE/refresh?

Posted via CB10
    There is a large cost to tooling. Unless foxconn is willing to take the cost, seems it would be better to deal with a company that has done it before and the tooling costs would be less.
    10-25-14 07:04 AM
    Seeking Alpha... just ignore it.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:12 AM
    I'm pretty sure John Chen spoke about Foxconn at around 1 hour 05 into the presentation... so its probably pretty much confirmed (although he may have been referring to another device.. i can't hear it too well)

I can't post the link but if you youtube this you will hear him speak:
    MIT Enterprise Forum Hong Kong - Oct 2014 - John Chen, CEO, Blackberry
    10-28-14 04:45 AM
    I know apple has used foxconn. As has Amazon and others. They have been making computer parts for years.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 04:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure John Chen spoke about Foxconn at around 1 hour 05 into the presentation... so its probably pretty much confirmed (although he may have been referring to another device.. i can't hear it too well)

He only mentioned Z3 and Foxconn. Nothing about Foxconn and other devices.
    10-28-14 04:58 PM
    Isn't Classic supposed to be built as a premium device? And premium devices are not to be assigned to Foxconn?
    10-30-14 07:55 PM
    Isn't Classic supposed to be built as a premium device? And premium devices are not to be assigned to Foxconn?
    Don't tell that to Apple...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-30-14 08:38 PM
    Yes, it's all about the specs they are given. A lotof high quality products are made in China now.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:57 PM
    I have seen the foxconn name on components for years. You used to see then a lot on hard drive ribbon cables.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:24 PM

". . . pretty sure . . . probably pretty much . . . (although he may have been . . ."

That's the problem right there.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    10-31-14 10:05 PM
    I'm not sure. I just remembered that BlackBerry has other manufacturer for premium device.
    11-07-14 12:29 PM