Forgive my ignorance with this question but I'm trying to prepare myself. I just ordered a passport and upon arrival will be activating with TMo. My question is there seems to be a lot of concern about these two issues and I'm trying to understand why? I'm coming from Sprint and they are nowhere near either of these products. However I don't actually use the phone feature a lot anymore but I have and will get unlimited calls, text, data. So my question is what am I missing by not having these features? Is the basic calls so bad that it needs them to function properly? I realize that wifi indoors is usually good and better than cell service but if I never had it will I miss it?

I appreciate any help, and also if anyone has advice on the passport on TMO - good or bad I would like to hear.

Thanx

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 05:49 PM
    WiFi calling: ideally, you don't want to rely on it for primary coverage. It's nice to have as supplementary coverage--for example, in my case, I work in an area where all mobile signals go to die, but since there is a WiFi signal for me to jump on, I'm the only one with a signal there. But where WiFi calling really shines is overseas--any calls made over WiFi are treated as domestic calls, and you save on international roaming.

voLTE: simply put, it's a novelty right now. But going forward, as older spectrum gets refarmed to LTE, voice is going to be transitioned to voLTE. So it's the future, but not right now.
    10-24-14 06:01 PM
    That's great. Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time. I didn't really think I'd be missing anything, never overseas and I rarely ever in a remote area without service but since I see this brought up frequently was looking for this answer.

Thanx again

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:09 PM
    I was on location (film) once where there was a wifi signal outside the trailers and mess hall. But cell signal was almost not. No problem for me, but somewhere I have a great shot of half a dozen Roman Soldiers standing on a hill holding up their cell phones like swords looking for signal! WFC can come in handy.
    Anovascular likes this.
    10-24-14 07:16 PM
    I agree it's a great feature. Would love to have it, but since I never have I won't miss it. Also I'm on Sprint and only phone you can get is Q10 and they are not offering wifi calling anyway. I'm sure somewhere down the line someone will find a way to make wifi calling work regardless of carrier. I mean BBM has calling to other contacts so it's not a stretch to think someone has or will find a way for all calls. And maybe TMo and BlackBerry will kiss and make up and we'll all get it? But it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker at this point.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 04:59 AM
    VoLTE is Voice over LTE. This came about because LTE is a data network. If you want to carry voice over it you need to either setup a VOIP service on the phones or set up the network to handle it. by standardizing on VoLTE the carriers will be able to set up voice calls over the LTE network between each other. T-mobile has HD calling, but honestly it's not super important. The passport is supposed to have a very good microphone, speaker, and background services that make voice calls a lot better anyways.

WiFi calling is a method to allow voice calls over the internet. It's not reliable, mostly because the internet was not designed with realtime voice in mind. If you're on a wifi call and you bog your internet connection down, the quality of the call really goes down the tubes. It's a neat feature, but it's practically useless.
    11-06-14 02:08 AM
    WiFi calling is a method to allow voice calls over the internet. It's not reliable, mostly because the internet was not designed with realtime voice in mind. If you're on a wifi call and you bog your internet connection down, the quality of the call really goes down the tubes. It's a neat feature, but it's practically useless.
    Have to disagree. Wifi-calling has been 99% reliable for me (once they got over that recent outage, and was great before). I rely on it heavily when overseas, and can use in restaurants, a/p lounges etc. I get no signal at home (from any carrier) so it's fantastic at home, even while running Netflix. I also use it while in a/p mode in flight to send and receive MMS and/or text. Sprint is now starting to use it and AT&T is getting it next year. That's because it works. But if you're having issues, suggest you call Tmo.
    11-06-14 02:57 AM
    I'm sorry if I hijack this thread but I've been wondering for a while. Is there any third party app that would enable Voip/wifi calling redirect for us tmobile users on the z30, and Passport?

I currently got a new job where I'm right in the center of a dead zone. Is there anything that can redirect my incoming calls via wiFi?
    Thanks.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    11-06-14 09:06 PM
    I'm sorry if I hijack this thread but I've been wondering for a while. Is there any third party app that would enable Voip/wifi calling redirect for us tmobile users on the z30, and Passport?
    Check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil...an-see-964822/
    11-06-14 09:08 PM
    Thanks!

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    11-08-14 03:46 PM