I goofed on the Thread Subject....I meant "Z30 Decrypted after Security Wipe"

I had my Z30 encrypted, and I noticed after doing a Security Wipe, the Device encryption was OFF.
    Is this normal after doing a Security Wipe?

Now I have to turn ON encryption again.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Decrypting the Z30?-capture1.jpg  
    10-23-14 11:17 AM
    Sounds like a normal event. Security wipe returns the device to original factory settings. Encrypted is not a usual factory setting.
    10-23-14 11:48 AM
    Those files are gone if your statement is correct. You wiped the device before removing the encryption. Hope they were not important.
    10-23-14 12:08 PM
    I goofed on the Thread Subject....I meant "Z30 Decrypted after Security Wipe"

I had my Z30 encrypted, and I noticed after doing a Security Wipe, the Device encryption was OFF.
    Is this normal after doing a Security Wipe?

Now I have to turn ON encryption again.

Thanks
    Encryption is always reset to off after a security wipe. And if you use a media card I seriously hope you backed it up before running a wipe, because unless you disable encryption beforehand the data on it is lost with the OS that could read it. Removing the card does not remove the encryption, it must be decrypted prior to removal and/or wipe.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 12:25 PM
    I do not have media card.

So just to confirm, device encryption is always set to OFF after a Security Wipe?

Thanks
    10-24-14 12:40 AM
    why encrypt? are there any downsides?
    10-24-14 07:15 AM
    I do not have media card.

So just to confirm, device encryption is always set to OFF after a Security Wipe?

Thanks
    Yes... confirmed... encryption reverts to off after a wipe.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    10-24-14 07:54 AM
    why encrypt? are there any downsides?
    The downside is that you can lose data on SD card if you wipe a device before decrypting the card.

The need for decrypting depends on the user.

You may think you don't have sensitive data on your device, but attachments, one drive docs etc often get downloaded to phones and SD cards.

If your phone gets lifted anyone can read your stuff.

A locked phone is OK, but an unencrypted SD card is often a treasure chest for unscrupulous people.

Paranoid, .... maybe. But I have personal and work stuff on my phone.

Carl Estes likes this.
    10-24-14 07:59 AM
    I have no media card.
    Had to do a Security Wipe because my phone was acting up for some strange reason.
    Then after the Security Wipe, I noticed the encryption was OFF.

So is it normal after a Security Wipe that device encryption is set to OFF?
    I am not speaking about media cards, I am only referring to Device encryption.

Thanks
    Rodney Wilder likes this.
    10-24-14 10:27 AM
    I have no media card.
    Had to do a Security Wipe because my phone was acting up for some strange reason.
    Then after the Security Wipe, I noticed the encryption was OFF.

So is it normal after a Security Wipe that device encryption is set to OFF?
    I am not speaking about media cards, I am only referring to Device encryption.

Thanks
    Has been mentioned already, yes this is normal. A security wipe 'WIPES' the device. it's back to factory default of current t os, prepped for new owner. All previous owner data, settings, accounts, etc are wiped, deleted and removed. It is as if it's a new phone out of the box, like doing a format and reinstall of your windows OS on your desktop, only more secure on its erasing algorithms.

And to be clear, it didn't decrypt your device. It erased it and started from scratch.

Admins, please close thread

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    10-24-14 10:37 AM
    If you kindly send me 1.4 billion dollars I can build a computer capable of decrypting your z10 by 2030. If you send more money than that, even faster decrypting!

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 10:55 AM
    Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.
    Its all OK now. Back to normal.
    10-24-14 10:59 AM
    well i Always encrypt my Phone but wat does this option actually do ?
    Can anybody give me a insight about this ?
    10-24-14 11:06 AM
    well i Always encrypt my Phone but wat does this option actually do ?
    Can anybody give me a insight about this ?
    Specifically for a NON - BES user:

The device encryption encrypts the data stored on your phone. If you encrypte the SD card, it too is encrypted using the key which is generated by the device and stays on the device.
    The key is local to the device,, so that means if you wipe your phone, you lose the key and you can't access an SD card encrypted with the old key.

Why do this?

The encrypted phone storage can't be read without the key. So if you lose your BB, someone can't simply connect it USB and read your data on a PC. Same thing (and more importantly) for the SD card.

I don't know if this means that Link backup files are encrypted with the same key. (help someone please).
    Edit: Answered my own question:
    From the Blackberry Extractor web site:
    http://www.blackberryextractor.com/r...s-from-backup/

" ...BB10 backups are created by the Blackberry Link software, which encrypted the backup files. The encryption key is composed of quite a few things, including some hardware id of the device and hence cannot be decrypted without the knowledge of algorithm that encrypts it."

On the old Desktop application, one had to check the box to have the backup files encrypted, now I don't see that in Link.

BB10 encryption has NOTHING to do with data transmitted to or from the device over the network nor the WIFI.
    Your e-mails sms etc are all treated differently depending on the type of mail service you use so I won't comment on these.

Hope this helps.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Chin; 10-24-14 at 12:29 PM.
    10-24-14 11:53 AM
    Specifically for a NON - BES user:

The device encryption encrypts the data stored on your phone. If you encrypte the SD card, it too is encrypted using the key which is generated by the device and stays on the device.
    The key is local to the device,, so that means if you wipe your phone, you lose the key and you can't access an SD card encrypted with the old key.

Why do this?

The encrypted phone storage can't be read without the key. So if you lose your BB, someone can't simply connect it USB and read your data on a PC. Same thing (and more importantly) for the SD card.

I don't know if this means that Link backup files are encrypted with the same key. (help someone please).

On the old Desktop application, one had to check the box to have the backup files encrypted, now I don't see that in Link.

BB10 encryption has NOTHING to do with data transmitted to or from the device over the network nor the WIFI.
    Your e-mails sms etc are all treated differently depending on the type of mail service you use so I won't comment on these.

Hope this helps.
    Chris
    THANK YOU sir!
    You gave me a clear view on the encrypting side of non bes users.
    Really appreciate it

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 12:02 PM
    You're very welcome... Have a nice weekend.

10-24-14 12:05 PM