For you that prefer a removable battery, at what point would you be OK with having a fixed battery?
    Assuming that the battery could be swapped when it went bad, how much additional battery life would make up for not being able to swap?

If I can double the life of my z10 by getting a fixed battery but still replace it using a few tools when it fails, then I would be OK with that.
    Actually I think about a 50% increase would be enough to like the fixed battery but I need to be able to get it replaced each year as the charge cycles go down.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 01:30 PM
    For you that prefer a removable battery, at what point would you be OK with having a fixed battery?
    Assuming that the battery could be swapped when it went bad, how much additional battery life would make up for not being able to swap?

If I can double the life of my z10 by getting a fixed battery but still replace it using a few tools when it fails, then I would be OK with that.
    Actually I think about a 50% increase would be enough to like the fixed battery but I need to be able to get it replaced each year as the charge cycles go down.

Posted via CB10
    Some of the Z10s and Q10s had issues with the battery shifting slightly, forcing a reboot. If a battery gets loose enough it could cause this issue constantly which is why you should only remove the battery when you absolutely need to. I was a big removable battery pro before I got my Z10 but once it started rebooting I started to shift sides. I don't have a problem with a fixed battery anymore, especially as there are many options to "wallhugging" these days. I moved on to a Z30 and following that a Passport and I haven't even thought about not having a removable battery, not once. On those rare occassions that I needed a charge at an inconvenient time I always had my plug in charger to give my phone a boost, I always carried it around with me even though the battery life of the Z30 is far superior to the Z10, it was no more inconvenient than carrying around a spare battery.

Another thing I noticed on my 9900 and my Z10 is the battery door got loose after swapping the battery out a few times. This led to creaking and groaning while in use and made the devices feel old before their time. Something a fixed battery does is act as part of the structure of the device and the less you need to remove the back the better.

If the next BlackBerry I get has a removable battery I'll suck it up and get it if it suits my needs, but my preference is for fixed batteries these days.
    Xenolock and CerveloJohn like this.
    10-19-14 02:09 PM
    Aftermarket 3600mah battery in my 9900 provides pretty solid 3 day endurance. I still carry a spare.
    10-19-14 02:21 PM
    My previous is just one that I can easily replace when it goes bad. One that requires taking a couple of screws out would eliminate the reboot issue. Fixed batteries tend to give more capacity so as long as I can go a whole day, I am fine.
    That said, it's 4:18 and I had better go swap my z10 battery....

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 03:19 PM
    Fixed isn't better just cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    10-19-14 03:20 PM
    Cheaper can be better.

It's another tradeoff which is what so many things are with mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 04:16 PM
    It's pretty well established that the Q20 "Classic" will be a fixed battery device. That said, given choice of the same device with a fixed 2500mah or swappable 1800mah, i'd take the swappable in a heartbeat. The TINY battery in the 9900 was tolerable simply because it's swappable. The 9900 oem batt takes up minimal pocket space and can restore the device to 100% charge in five minutes. It does this while preserving the device's original size and shape. The aftermarket 3600mah extended batts i use make the device thicker but i'm using holsters and docks modified to fit and truly like the added protrusions on the back of the device for assisting single handed grasp.

I've had zero issues with loosing contact in any of my BlackBerry devices but have habitually used a tiny drop of contact lubricant on such contacts. That little bottle has floated around the office for years and we attribute our use of it with having zero loss of battery contact on our fleets of Zs, Qs and 99s. I can provide the name of the stuff if anyone's interested. As an engineer, anything that can be fixed with a piece of business card SHOULD be fixable at the manufacturing level without abandoning a feature some truly value. IMO.

I suppose if seeking consolation for enduring what some of us consider the fixed battery handicap, two or three things might make it easier to swallow. One would be if the battery were fitted to a heat sink with thermally conductive adhesive. Improved heat rejection might permit improved charging rate. Of course it could be argued that the best place for that heat sink might be on the back side of the device... as in a battery cover... so... ??? But lets hope this large battery can be charged at a pretty high rate to reduce recovery time.

Another mitigation would be the promise of wireless charging. Another thread touched on the concept and i'm encouraged by the possibilities. USB does have current carrying limitations.

A third mitigation might have more to do with regulatory considerations. Two guys i work with are convinced that removable batteries and covers might complicate FFC certs. They think that fixing batts and covers might reduce some of the "what if's" figuring into FFC cert process. IDK. But, if it means the Classic can get signal performance like the Z30, the fixed batt starts feeling a little more tolerable.
    dmlis, hlg8888 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    10-19-14 04:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your point does not to make sense because BlackBerry would not sell the OEM non removable battery by itself anyways.

So even assuming that you have the knowledge and the tools to replace the fixed battery yourself, you have to rely on non OEM battery from a non authorized dealer, since BlackBerry would not sell the fixed battery by itself.

And I can tell you from my personal experience that I have been screwed over many times by not buying an OEM battery or from buying a "supposedly" OEM battery from online.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    10-20-14 02:33 AM
    Even apple will replace an iPhone battery.

Sure you have to take it in but it's for replacing the battery when it no longer takes a charge.

As for the design flaw, I totally agree: if a business card can fix it, then why can't engineers fix it in manufacturing?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 07:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'll go for fixed battery if both following conditions are met:
    1. New phone gives me at least 36 hr (with at least 10% charge left) in the following scenario: 40 min calls, emails 30/60 sent/received, 4 email acc + calendar + contacts sync'd, wifi always on, documents (pdf, docs to go) read 30 min, music player 30 min.
    2. Battery health loss not more 5% per year.
    However, condition 2 hardly can be met with current technology.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    10-20-14 05:01 PM
    The reason why I choose Q10 over Sony Z2 is Removable, as I can swap the new one when the old one Battery cycle going down. The removal of battery don't need any technician.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    10-22-14 02:08 AM
    I would never turn in any computer or phone to any authorized dealer or repair shop.

If you let the phone out of your hands, how can you tell someone didn't make a copy of your personal information?

So if it has a non-removable battery, it better has fully removable storage
    10-22-14 10:01 AM
    I am hoping that I don't need to take the classic in. I can upgrade a battery myself on an iPhone 4.
    You just have to use a screwdriver and it takes a few minutes. Not something you could do everyday, but if the battery life is doubled then I would only need to do this about once a year.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:20 AM
    I've always had good luck buying replacement batteries online where OEM parts aren't available. Worst case it fails, you return the battery (or decline the charge off your credit card), put the OEM back in and go a different route - sell it on craigslist, take it back to Verizon, etc. I'd imagine Blackberry will have a replacement program.

If they don't, there's always cell phone insurance like Asurion.
    Cell phone insurance is a joke in terms of how much you have to pay.

Also, yes non OEM parts can work, but you are just taking a lot more risk.

The replacement program is also a rip off because they charge up to $100 for a simple battery exchange.

I would rather pay $20 and get a replacement OEM battery from Crackberry store. Thank you.

I don't want to send my phone in for a simple battery exchange when I need my phone for everyday life.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    10-22-14 10:38 AM
    I certainly prefer a user replaceable battery, but I do see some advantages to having it fixed.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 12:09 PM
    I would never turn in any computer or phone to any authorized dealer or repair shop.

If you let the phone out of your hands, how can you tell someone didn't make a copy of your personal information?

So if it has a non-removable battery, it better has fully removable storage
    Depending on the platform, one can wipe the phone, turn it in for repair, and then reload exact state after repair.
    10-22-14 12:24 PM
    I've never used a spare battery, so fixed for me!
    10-22-14 12:26 PM
    Search option is your friend.. There are so many threads about this why not use them? Like
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=959427

For the record always removable fixed is a no go for me and hardly classic
    10-22-14 09:10 PM
    Worried about having a fixed battery when I got my Z30 in January. Not having to carry a spare around as the fixed battery really lasts throughout the day has changed my stance on fixed batteries. With heavy daily use my battery health is at 97% after 10 months so I anticipate the battery lasting longer than I actually will use the phone (provided BlackBerry comes out with another all touch device - Z50? in the not so distant future).

My bitchin' Z30 BlackBerry
    10-22-14 09:48 PM
    When OFF needs to be off, only a removable battery can accomplish the task.
    10-25-14 01:04 PM
    When OFF needs to be off, only a removable battery can accomplish the task.
    I think that is a very simple point, but a very good and also very important point, that is overlooked all the time.

Even I totally forgot about it until you brought it up - so thanks.
    10-25-14 02:47 PM
    Fire works too.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-25-14 03:54 PM
    IIRC, Apple saved about $20/phone in manufacturing costs by making it a fixed/non-removable battery vs. engineering and manufacturing a phone casing on which the back is removable. It's also easier to provide better overall build quality and rigidity in a phone when the battery cover is fixed in place.

So the tradeoff is a better built phone, and *maybe* a slightly cheaper phone for the consumer. On the downside, no aftermarket higher capacity replacement batteries and no swapping a second battery when your primary one is low, like when you're flying or just on the go all day.
    10-25-14 04:20 PM
    You know proper charging connectors would solve some of the battery problem

If you could have a leather holster with a slim, 3000mah battery in it that would charge every time you put away your phone, that would go a long way.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 04:37 PM
    You know proper charging connectors would solve some of the battery problem

If you could have a leather holster with a slim, 3000mah battery in it that would charge every time you put away your phone, that would go a long way.

Posted via CB10
    Contacts should be no-brainer but Classic's bottom positioned usb does improve possible options for holster charger.
    10-25-14 05:37 PM
33 12