I really, really, really want a Passport. I'm deaf so my phone is really used for texts and email as communications device. Tried Apple and Android but the virtual keyboards are no match for BlackBerry.

One caveat is that Apple and Android offer an app for the Hamilton Relay service that let's me read what the person on the other end is saying (if I HAVE to use a phone). BlackBerry OS 10 does not and it is not available @ the Amazon store. Right now I must use my Q10 conjointly with special head phones and either my computer or my iPad - a complex set up for a phone call.

I'd like to get that all done on one device. The screen real-estate on the Passport looks perfect for such an app. I could go with an iPhone 6 or some Android device for this but it's not worth the loss in efficiency BlackBerry has over those two.

So getting a Passport at this stage will not really be much of a change for me. I'd just be spending money. Ho hum.

I'm going to save my pennies (for now) and hope BlackBerry OS 10 gets that HamiltonCapTel app.

Yet if I suddenly strike it rich you know what I'll be buying!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 01:40 AM
    Apps are always a problem if you use a small platform. Maybe it's possible to use the Android version of this app?

Apps are one thing but what I find unfortunate is that the Passport has no T4 rating. Thus the passport can not be used with the inductive telecoil which is present in some hearing aids or cochelar implants.

We deaf and hard of hearing people are a small minority and the Passport was apparently built for other target groups. This is due to the good communication properties although very unfortunate but without a T4-Rating (telecoil), video telephony (using sign language) or special apps for us as "1 for all device" not usable.
    10-18-14 02:46 AM
    As long as the app doesn't require google play services to work, you can most likely get it to run. You can sideload Snap, or download the 1Mobile Market app onto your BB10 device. Im looking at the app right now in the 1mobile app
    10-20-14 02:03 PM
    Try sideloading the app onto your Q10. If it works consistently for a good amount of time, get the passport sideload it!

Posted via Q10RR
    10-20-14 02:32 PM
    I really, really, really want a Passport. I'm deaf so my phone is really used for texts and email as communications device. Tried Apple and Android but the virtual keyboards are no match for BlackBerry.

One caveat is that Apple and Android offer an app for the Hamilton Relay service that let's me read what the person on the other end is saying (if I HAVE to use a phone). BlackBerry OS 10 does not and it is not available @ the Amazon store. Right now I must use my Q10 conjointly with special head phones and either my computer or my iPad - a complex set up for a phone call.

I'd like to get that all done on one device. The screen real-estate on the Passport looks perfect for such an app. I could go with an iPhone 6 or some Android device for this but it's not worth the loss in efficiency BlackBerry has over those two.

So getting a Passport at this stage will not really be much of a change for me. I'd just be spending money. Ho hum.

I'm going to save my pennies (for now) and hope BlackBerry OS 10 gets that HamiltonCapTel app.

Yet if I suddenly strike it rich you know what I'll be buying!

Posted via CB10
    I found this on SNAP, is it what you're looking for? Should run on 10.2 and over

I would switch in a minute but....-img_20141020_164208.png

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:43 PM
    BUMP I think he found your app!!!

Posted via Q10RR
    10-20-14 06:58 PM
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. I downloaded SNAP and the the Hamilton app. It works flawlessly!

This is great! I'm finally mobile with my PHONE again! The Q10 screen is small but since you can adjust the font size of the captions it is only a minor hindrance.

Saving the pennies for the Passport!. Sticking with BlackBerry for good because of great things like Crackberry!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-14 11:44 AM
    You can also download 1Mobile market in your BB, it's more convenient
    11-13-14 06:26 AM
    I would switch in a minute but....-img_20141113_090457.png

It's in the Google Play Store. I found it here through SNAP. Haven't tried it but is worth a try. Good luck. The Passport is an excellent phone.

Edit: I see you already found it! Good luck.
    11-13-14 08:07 AM