Do you think that Apple's Handoff is a copy of the BlackBerry Blend?

Peevishlicious crew rejected me
    10-17-14 01:12 PM
    No

Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.1925 powered cb10
    10-17-14 01:18 PM
    Why not? I mean you can answer texts and messages on your laptop, thats one feature that the Blend has.
    10-17-14 01:21 PM
    no its not a copy. They might share some similar features though. Hell hangouts also allows SMS from your laptop. it must be a copy too
    10-17-14 01:25 PM
    One is locked to just one brand and does not give you the ability to share files on other tablets and build your own ecosystem.
    The other one does

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 01:28 PM
    I dont think it is a copy and personally I dont like all the talking about who is copying who. Some features are the logical next logical step and all manufacturer will work on solutions. BlackBerry has Blend, Apple has Handoff, dont know what Google has. Blend works on Windows and Mac, Handoff also can handle calls.
    MikeX74 and FabianB like this.
    10-17-14 01:37 PM
    Does this handoff you speak of have a file manager?

Via CB10 from Scotland on my awesome PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-17-14 01:38 PM
    Handoff also launches your recent app on the device you pickup, from where you left off, does it not? Pretty cool stuff.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 02:03 PM
    Why not? I mean you can answer texts and messages on your laptop, thats one feature that the Blend has.
    To sent messages from your desktop/laptop with the help of your phone or access the phones address book is actually nothing new. I could do this 10 years ago with my old Siemens phone.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    10-17-14 02:14 PM
    It will be interesting what comes down the road with Blend, Handoff, Samsungs SideSync and what Google is doing with Chrome OS/Chrome browser -> Android integration. There is a forum thread here by khehl with demos illustrating the first three.
    Apple wants integration thru the OS, Blackberry by executable/app and Google by browser. Don't know what will rise to be dominant.
    10-17-14 02:29 PM
    OP don't forget to add: Samasung SideSync, Mobizen and Air Droid 2. I will be making a big comparison thread with all 5 of the comparisons next month..

Android L/Lolipop apparently has one coming too (rumour from my android friend)
    10-17-14 02:38 PM
    It will be interesting what comes down the road with Blend, Handoff, Samsungs SideSync and what Google is doing with Chrome OS/Chrome browser -> Android integration. There is a forum thread here by khehl with demos illustrating the first three.
    Apple wants integration thru the OS, Blackberry by executable/app and Google by browser. Don't know what will rise to be dominant.
    haha thanks for the quote I meant to say handoff not handover :S it was too new at the time
    10-17-14 02:39 PM
    Handoff also launches your recent app on the device you pickup, from where you left off, does it not? Pretty cool stuff.

Posted via CB10
    uhh your are kinda there:P

"IF" you have an Apple Computer and your iPhone is connected on the same wifi/hotspot. All your texts and calls go straight to your computer like headless notifications on a phone. Texts, Calls, browser window, 3rd party apps, Pages, Facetime, Keynote, Maps, Reminders, Calendar and Contacts. (iCloud was able to do most of that before already)

These OS X headless icons are pretty awesome compared to what Windows has. It's very unique and the OS literally acts like a mobile OS. HINT HINT Microsoft, get your sh*t together.

This is the last piece to the puzzle when it comes to FULL iPhone to Apple Computer integration. iCloud does the rest, it isn't the most secure but I don't expect any more celebs or high profile people to use it anymore :P
    Last edited by khehl; 10-17-14 at 03:05 PM.
    10-17-14 02:45 PM
    Does this handoff you speak of have a file manager?

Via CB10 from Scotland on my awesome PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    why does it need it? Apple goes about that a whole different way with iCloud. They like to hide things from consumers within the OS for some reason. But it is easy to find ANY file on your iPhone on your Apple Computer (and vise versa) since it's an automatic sync.
    10-17-14 02:52 PM
    Do you think that Apple's Handoff is a copy of the BlackBerry Blend?

Peevishlicious crew rejected me
    Uhhh no, if anything Blend is a copy of Air Droid which I have been using on my BlackBerry since launch (almost 2 years). I'm going to get my head bit off, aren't I?

You have been able to get texts on your computer for like 5-10 years... Before that you could do it by email.

Handoff and Sidesync are completely different... Well they all try to accomplish computer to phone integration but they go about it in a different way. There are Pros and Cons on every single one of them.
    10-17-14 02:56 PM
    I'm going to be blendin apples!

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:10 PM
    Is this a serious question?
    10-17-14 03:13 PM
    Right air droid has most all the blend features and has been around for ages. I have used it a lot of over the years.
    10-17-14 03:16 PM
    I use to have a program called Motorola phone tools. It would recognize any phone you connected to the PC and could retrieve any information that you had off of your phone. It could even recover deleted texts or other messages. It also was able to turn your phone into a mobile hot spot and you could connect to the Internet, albeit slow using a Razr, but it did work.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:23 PM
    I'm glad that Apple are their usual short sighted selves, and have only made handsoff for apple computers. Personally I can't afford a Apple laptop and I definitely can't afford a Apple desktop. And what company or organisation is going to replace all their windows computers just so their staff can make use of handsoff. It the 80s Apple lost the computer fight to the IBM COMPATIBLE PC (aka any old PC running MS-DOS) they just don't do Apple compatible and they never will, it's Apple or nothing to them. Keep up the short-sightedness Apple.

Windows7 and blackberry is a blend that works for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:35 PM
    I'm glad that Apple are their usual short sighted selves, and have only made handsoff for apple computers. Personally I can't afford a Apple laptop and I definitely can't afford a Apple desktop. And what company or organisation is going to replace all their windows computers just so their staff can make use of handsoff. It the 80s Apple lost the computer fight to the IBM COMPATIBLE PC (aka any old PC running MS-DOS) they just don't do Apple compatible and they never will, it's Apple or nothing to them. Keep up the short-sightedness Apple.

Windows7 and blackberry is a blend that works for me.

Posted via CB10
    There is no way that Handoff would work with Windows so yes obviously it only works on Apple computers. Full integration with a computer OS is a bit harder then you think, luckily OS X can handle continuity/handoff because of how close it reassembles a phone OS. Most people that have iPhones have everything Apple anyways.

What were getting in Windows 10 (next year!!) is notification centre which I already use Bluestacks for. Now with Win10 preview, Microsoft is pedalling hard to bring back legacy features much like BlackBerry is doing with BB10 (10.3.1)

I've always disliked Apple but BB10/Win8.1 is so disappointing compared to their legacy OS' and Apple just keeps on pedaling "forwards" slowly. Good for them. Not an innovative company but they are doing everything right business wise it seems like.
    Last edited by khehl; 10-17-14 at 03:52 PM.
    10-17-14 03:42 PM
    There is no way that handoff would work with windows so yes obviously it only works on Apple computers. Most people that have iPhones have everything Apple anyways...
    Only if they are loaded. Most people I know are still running windows laptops because that is all they can afford. And most corporations buy windows computers to, even if their staff have iphones.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:46 PM
    Uhhh no, if anything Blend is a copy of Air Droid which I have been using on my BlackBerry since launch (almost 2 years). I'm going to get my head bit off, aren't I?
    I think it's safe to say Blend started with Bridge on the Playbook. It's certainly not a new concept, but a logical next step. At the very least, I wouldn't be pointing any fingers saying who copied who.
    10-17-14 03:48 PM
    None of the other software can use and leverage the NOC to transmit data and be sure that the transmission is secure. THIS is the main advantage.
    Will it make any difference at consumer level? Probably not.. but enterprise will love the capability.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:48 PM
    I think it's safe to say Blend started with Bridge on the Playbook. It's certainly not a new concept, but a logical next step. At the very least, I wouldn't be pointing any fingers saying who copied who.
    I worded it wrong but Blend definitely didn't copy it :P

I was also making a point that BlackBerry doesn't "invent" everything.
    Last edited by khehl; 10-17-14 at 04:13 PM.
    10-17-14 03:54 PM
30 12