I'm interested in the Kwikset Kevo smart lock, however you can only enjoy the best features of the lock when you install an app on your phone, which is a problem because they currently only have an iPhone app. I asked why they didn't have a BB10 app, and they said that it was because BB10 still doesn't "fully" support Bluetooth Smart (see the discussion here on why they can't make an Android app; according to their facebook page the same reasoning applies to BB10).

According to them, the specific problem (without getting into much detail) is that BB10 supports Bluetooth Smart in the "central" role but not in the "peripheral" role, and the lock uses the latter functionality. They also mention that the hardware might support it, but the software might not (again in the context of Android...might be less of a worry with Blackberry).

So, I'm hoping that there's someone in the know here...are they right with respect to BB10 not fully supporting Bluetooth Smart? Even with 10.3 (or 10.3.1)? If they are, does anybody know if this is something we might be seeing BB10 support soon?
    10-15-14 10:03 AM
    That seems a bit odd. Since the "peripheral" mode is for the low power device and "central" mode is for devices that can sustain a higher power drain. The example I've see is that a peripheral is able to run on a 1,000 mAh battery for up to two years, where a central mode device could consume that power if a few hours.

In searching this I found reference to the issue on Android not being the hardware, but the stack that was installed. If this is true then perhaps the stacks have been implemented so that smartphones act only as data consumers receiving data from peripherals. Perhaps the back channel in this mode is not sufficient to support all the features in the lock, so they reverse the rolls so the iPhone provides data to the lock. Presumably Apple has something similar in mind with iBeacon. In each case I have to wonder what the return data contains.

Edit:

The BlueTooth SIG lists BlackBerry Q5, Q10, Q20, Z3, Z10, Z20 and PassPort as BlueTooth Smart Ready devices, and the Kwikset Kevo as a BlueTooth Smart device. According to the standard the lock should send information to Smart Ready devices. Sounds like they are operating off-standard.
    10-15-14 10:19 AM
    10-15-14 10:19 AM
    That page doesn't mention anything specifically about BB10 implementing the "peripheral" mode of Bluetooth Smart, unfortunately; there's other pages that mention that Blackberry is Bluetooth Smart ready (like the official Bluetooth Smart page), but I haven't seen anything specifically discussing this "peripheral" mode vs. "central" mode thing. According to the page I linked to earlier (explaining why the lock wouldn't work on Android) they said the following:

We have heard many Kevo fans say, “but, my device does support Bluetooth Smart already, even Bluetooth says so…” The good news is that it can, but currently that statement is not 100% true. So, let’s dig a little deeper into what is Bluetooth Smart, and what is required for Kevo support. Bluetooth Smart has two modes of communication, Central role and Peripheral role. Currently, Android only introduced support for Central role with the ‘K’ (KitKat) release. Kevo requires Peripheral role in order to communicate with an Android device.
    10-15-14 10:34 AM
    I would like to get a Kevo but currently can't. I purchased an Automatic device for my car but the Android application crashes, I suspect this is a Bluetooh LE issue as that device requires it for communication. I'm not currently running 10.3 so I won't know if that solves the Automatic issue until the OS is available for my Z10.

It would seem to me that if Blackberry was serious about Internet of Things they'd make sure the Android runtime supports Bluetooth LE so that we can get access to devices in the IoT space.
    01-15-15 10:03 AM
    It would seem to me that if Blackberry was serious about Internet of Things they'd make sure the Android runtime supports Bluetooth LE so that we can get access to devices in the IoT space.
    BlackBerry cannot be more serious about that The hardware is in our phone, the native app can play with it.

The only setback is for the Android app. The current Android runtime (4.2.2) doesn't offer the software part to play with Bluetooth LE. But the one found in the 10.3.x OS release (aka Android 4.3) can.

I'm ok with BlackBerry reviewing Android before updating the runtime. Even if the runtime itself is sandboxed, there is always security flaws to check.
    01-15-15 10:13 AM
    My understanding is that BB10 does natively support it all, but NOT when using the Android runtime. The reason for this is that Android only started full BT support with Lollipop (which is why you can now get a Kevo Android app if you have lollipop)

Kevo would have to make a native BB10 app in order for it to support their locks. Android Ports will not work (until BlackBerry adds the Android 5 runtime) Kevo probably doesn't want to spend the $ coding a native app

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 03:02 PM
    The reason for this is that Android only started full BT support with Lollipop (which is why you can now get a Kevo Android app if you have lollipop)

Kevo would have to make a native BB10 app in order for it to support their locks. Android Ports will not work (until BlackBerry adds the Android 5 runtime) Kevo probably doesn't want to spend the $ coding a native app
    Bluetooth LE (Smart, ... as you want to call it) is available in Android 4.3 :
    https://developer.android.com/about/....html#Wireless
    01-15-15 03:17 PM
    Bluetooth LE (Smart, ... as you want to call it) is available in Android 4.3 :
    https://developer.android.com/about/....html#Wireless
    Yes it is, but it's not fully supported. Not till 5

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 10:34 PM
    I have the Kevo lock on my home. There is an android version of the app that for some reason has a signing issue. When I try to install the app for testing I get failure 500 package ID. Any ideas as to how to fix this? I would love to enjoy all of the locks features.

You can go anywhere with a Passport <3
    04-01-15 08:05 AM
    When I try to install the app for testing I get failure 500 package ID. Any ideas as to how to fix this?
    From where did you get the Kevo app ? The apk is not signed correctly.
    04-01-15 10:44 AM
    Try patching the app and see if it works then. There are instructions in the Android app section of this forum.

I have the Kevo lock on my home. There is an android version of the app that for some reason has a signing issue. When I try to install the app for testing I get failure 500 package ID. Any ideas as to how to fix this? I would love to enjoy all of the locks features.

04-01-15 11:54 AM
    I joined a free Google group set up by Kevo. They give everyone version 1.0.0.67 to test. It is the same version available in the play store. When I install it, it stops at the end and gives an error.

04-02-15 12:19 AM
    From where did you get the Kevo app ? The apk is not signed correctly.
    I joined a free Google group set up by Kevo. They give everyone version 1.0.0.67 to test. It is the same version available in the play store. When I install it, it stops at the end and gives an error.

04-02-15 12:22 AM
    I joined a free Google group set up by Kevo. They give everyone version 1.0.0.67 to test. It is the same version available in the play store.
    You probably get a version not suited for Android 4.3 (it's the runtime version in the 10.3.1 BlackBerry OS), and so for not compatible.
    04-02-15 03:23 AM
    You probably get a version not suited for Android 4.3 (it's the runtime version in the 10.3.1 BlackBerry OS), and so for not compatible.
    Ahhh you are right! It works with Lollipop

04-03-15 11:48 AM
    I'm not quite that savvy. Do you know how to patch it?

04-04-15 11:49 PM
    I'm not quite that savvy. Do you know how to patch it?
    Sorry, the "patch" proposed by Brit6 is not what you need (It's about Google Services)

You won't be able to run this app if the Android version needed is higher than the Android runtime on your phone. There is no patch for this
    04-05-15 04:13 AM