I so desperately wanted to love the Passport but it has one fatal flaw I just can't live with - the camera. It is capable of taking better pictures than the iPhone 6 Plus but the downside is the amount of effort and time you need to put in getting your subject in focus. I regularly have to keep refocusing because the Passport will get a crisp focus for a second and then lose it. It usually takes four or five attempts to get a focus lock and trying to do anything that's moving is a waste of time. I've got some lovely photos out of it that side by side with the iPhone are more detailed but I take lots of shots of pets and grandkids who are in perpetual motion and for that the Passport is currently hopeless. I'm pretty sure this can all be fixed with an update and due to the fact that I've got some well focused highly detailed photos I don't think my Passport is faulty. I'd be interested to know how other users are finding it?
    10-14-14 06:11 AM
    Have you updated the OS to .1418 ?

I have read that there is an improvement to the Camera in that release.

Can't comment from personal experience as I rarely use the Camera, but got to be worth a try before giving up on the phone.
    10-14-14 06:14 AM
    Is your focus spot on a contrast area?

If you try to focus on areas with low contrast, the camera will have difficulty in focusing.... that's not specific to the passport, but it's how most cameras focus...

If you try to take a photo of a blank piece of paper, or blank wall, the camera will struggle.... but if there are words on it, then contrast is present, and the camera will have an easier time focusing
    Anilu7 likes this.
    10-14-14 06:30 AM
    If photos are that important then logic suggests we buy a digital camera whose sole purpose is to take high quality photos.
    10-14-14 06:48 AM
    Good luck with whatever device you use in the future. You could sell the passport to someone who would enjoy it.

Posted via CB10 using my BlackBerry Passport
    10-14-14 06:49 AM
    [WARN]Please stay on topic -- the discussion of the Passport camera.

Skip the personal comments![/WARN]
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 10-14-14 at 08:09 AM.
    atpetrey, Anilu7, Carjackd and 3 others like this.
    10-14-14 07:50 AM
    So....OP: You bought a powerful communications and productivity device, known for it's screen size and keyboard, and the deal breaker is the pictures it takes? If that was so important, just get a real camera (by Canon, etc). Phones are, um, phones. Cameras are secondary.

In the mean time, perhaps play with various settings of auto, etc to see what happens.
    10-14-14 07:51 AM
    If photos are that important then logic suggests we buy a digital camera whose sole purpose is to take high quality photos.
    I was thinking the same thing. If you want to take photos, get a camera.
    10-14-14 07:51 AM
    Have you updated the OS to .1418 ?

I have read that there is an improvement to the Camera in that release.
    This is correct, at least in my experience with the OS update. Auto-focus is faster and more stable.

For grandkids in perpetual motion, you're better off emulating the much-criticized 9900 camera, which lacked auto-focus. That is, turn AF off, keep your distance, and snap away. The more camera features we use -- auto-focus, image stabilization, etc. -- the greater the lag.
    10-14-14 08:00 AM
    My passport takes great photos. On par with iPhone from what I have tested. Then again I own a dSLR for the really important photos when a real camera is needed.

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    thymaster likes this.
    10-14-14 08:00 AM
    Yeah camera app isn't great.. but I have managed to download Camera++ on passport with the help of Sachi BlackBerry app. The developer hasn't put it on for passport yet and is said to be working on a more featured app for Passport camera. IMO he should until he is done with the new update because it works just fine..

I use white balance @ 3000K most of the time and it takes a stunning snap every time...

Posted via CB10
    mister2d likes this.
    10-14-14 08:01 AM
    I believe the is also the a function of 10.3 that when taking videos you can capture stills at the same time, not positive as I'm only using leaks, but might help.
    anon(4216152) likes this.
    10-14-14 08:13 AM
    Good luck with that iphone.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and thedose like this.
    10-14-14 08:28 AM
    Good luck with that iphone.

Posted via CB10
    I think that it is the I Phone that will need good luck with the OP !!!
    wincyUt and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    10-14-14 08:37 AM
    Gotta a question. I don't have my PP yet (Thursday) and I sure will not base my smartphone on camera performance.

The Z30 when in stabilizing mode only takes a picture when it automatically is focused. It doesn't matter when you take the pic. You don't have to stand there and wait for it to focus. Is the stabilization available in the PP?
    10-14-14 08:56 AM
    did you try shooting at time shift mode OP?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 09:32 AM
    Not sure Crazed BB Fanatic the only stabilisation option is for video.

Auto focus is not great on PP and hindering what is in effect a fantastic camera

Posted via CB10
    Chobbyta likes this.
    10-14-14 09:38 AM
    Not sure Crazed BB Fanatic the only stabilisation option is for video.

Auto focus is not great on PP and hindering what is in effect a fantastic camera

Posted via CB10
    As mentioned above, it is much better in .1418.

Have you updated to that OS ?
    10-14-14 09:39 AM
    I too am having trouble with the camera's speed. And while I hear everyone who says it's about productivity, for my work I need to take photos (gasp) but I am betting on a future firmware fix. If you like everything else about the phone you may want to give it time for another update or two.

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid and XDrew42 like this.
    10-14-14 09:50 AM
    So want to sell your passport?

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) likes this.
    10-14-14 09:58 AM
    I will buy a second for my wife.. selling

10-14-14 10:00 AM
    I believe the is also the a function of 10.3 that when taking videos you can capture stills at the same time, not positive as I'm only using leaks, but might help.
    This is correct, i used to a lot at a toronto maple leaf game i recently attended, worked great but not so good when zoomed in, looks really pixelated

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    10-14-14 10:12 AM
    This is correct, at least in my experience with the OS update. Auto-focus is faster and more stable.

For grandkids in perpetual motion, you're better off emulating the much-criticized 9900 camera, which lacked auto-focus. That is, turn AF off, keep your distance, and snap away. The more camera features we use -- auto-focus, image stabilization, etc. -- the greater the lag.
    This isn't completely true..
    Auto focus does make it a bit slower, but the 5mp shooter on the 9810 had auto focus, took amazing pictures and fast.

I don't have a passport, but one thing I can't do on my z10 is take pictures while I'm walking. It literally takes 5+ seconds to focus after pressing shutter button. Whatever I wanted a picture of, is long gone.

On my 9900 I never took pictures of anything, that cam quality was pathetic.
    But with my 9810 5mp I could take pictures while moving. I used to argue that the 9810 had one of the best cams on a phone and the 9900 was neglected and a bad example of BlackBerry cameras. Even the 3.2mp af shooter on the 8900-9800 was amazing.

In perfect conditions, my z10 takes better pics. In any slightly unfavorable situation (moving, pics of pets etc) my 9810 never gave me an issue.
    So, to those who say " buy a camera", I say "no"
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 10-14-14 at 10:41 AM.
    10-14-14 10:30 AM
    My pictures turn out great on my passport. On par with iPhone.

10-14-14 10:37 AM
    I so desperately wanted to love the Passport but it has one fatal flaw I just can't live with - the camera. It is capable of taking better pictures than the iPhone 6 Plus but the downside is the amount of effort and time you need to put in getting your subject in focus. I regularly have to keep refocusing because the Passport will get a crisp focus for a second and then lose it. It usually takes four or five attempts to get a focus lock and trying to do anything that's moving is a waste of time. I've got some lovely photos out of it that side by side with the iPhone are more detailed but I take lots of shots of pets and grandkids who are in perpetual motion and for that the Passport is currently hopeless. I'm pretty sure this can all be fixed with an update and due to the fact that I've got some well focused highly detailed photos I don't think my Passport is faulty. I'd be interested to know how other users are finding it?
    The 10.3.0.1418 leak makes huge - no, HUGE - improvements to the camera app. Give it a shot.

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    10-14-14 10:41 AM
108 123 ...