I was a longtime iPhone user but fell in love with the new Passport.
    I bought it unlocked from amazon.
    The biggest issue I am having is that I can't find any suitable video / voice chat client. I tried all the apps from BlackBerry world, amazon app store and snap. Either they need to be running in the background or just suck.
    BBM voice is not working because it says that my carrier has disabled the service. Some apps like the withings baby monitor are also not working.
    I really want to switch to BlackBerry but not being able to use any messenger client in a normal manner is a show stopper for me.
    Makes me wonder why they included a front facing camera.

The keyboard, screen and build quality are amazing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 04:08 PM
    Who is your carrier

plus dont voice or video work on wifi ?

posted with my passport
    10-12-14 04:42 PM
    The biggest issue I am having is that I can't find any suitable video / voice chat client. I tried all the apps from BlackBerry world, amazon app store and snap. Either they need to be running in the background or just suck.
    BBM voice is not working because it says that my carrier has disabled the service. Some apps like the withings baby monitor are also not working.
    I really want to switch to BlackBerry but not being able to use any messenger client in a normal manner is a show stopper for me.

Posted via CB10
    If you need video chat how about we chat? Its native and it's pretty good. Cross platform too.

The front facing camera is for the excellent BBM video calls, too bad you can't use it, in which case it's your carrier fault not BlackBerry.

Have you installed snap to find your baby monitor app?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 04:50 PM
    My daughter has a voice and text plan only and has no issues with bbm voice over wifi. So not sure the issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 04:54 PM
    Have you checked your bbm setting? I am calling and video chatting from the Passport via bbm over wifi without any problems internationally and the video quality (to those with a bb10 phone or the BlackBerry PlayBook, is fantastic. Much better than skype.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 05:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    This may be the source of your problem: when selecting a sim only plan from my carrier, I was asked if it was for an iphone, general smartphone or BlackBerry OS device excluding BlackBerry 10. Naturally, I said general smartphone ie Android, Windows Phone etc. This leads me to believe that there is something unique about an iphone plan. These plans cost the same btw so it wasnt a price difference. I think it may just be a matter of telling your carrier that you no longer use an iPhone.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-13-14 04:18 AM
    Thanks for all the responses

I managed to get it to work. I called Vodafone and they added the "LTE" option and now it seems to work. I am now able to do BBM Voice with my Wife which is great. Unfortunately I cant do BBM Video since she has an iPhone.

Other questions:
    1.) Is there a way to turn off the screen without using the button on the top with a gesture or an app that you select and the screen goes off?
    2.) Is there a good news client that works with Google News? I tried to open the Google News app from Snap but it does not work since it needs the Google Play Services and after patching the APK with Lucky Patcher is says that its incompatible with the device.
    I really love Google News and the App is great and clean.
    3.) Also i did download the Withings baby monitor app from snap but it does not connect. I also patched it even though it was not giving any Google Play Service Errors but still didn't connect. My iPhone and LG G2 connect fine but not the Passport

Help or any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    10-13-14 05:32 AM

I managed to get it to work. I called Vodafone and they added the "LTE" option and now it seems to work. I am now able to do BBM Voice with my Wife which is great. Unfortunately I cant do BBM Video since she has an iPhone.

Other questions:
    1.) Is there a way to turn off the screen without using the button on the top with a gesture or an app that you select and the screen goes off?
    2.) Is there a good news client that works with Google News? I tried to open the Google News app from Snap but it does not work since it needs the Google Play Services and after patching the APK with Lucky Patcher is says that its incompatible with the device.
    3.) Also i did download the Withings baby monitor app from snap but it does not connect. I also patched it even though it was not giving any Google Play Service Errors but still didn't connect. My iPhone and LG G2 connect fine but not the Passport

#2: Feedly all the way.

Can't say enough good things about it. Android version in Snap or Amazon Store. Free.

There is a native BlackBerry Feedly client in BlackBerry World called gReader but I haven't tried it. .99c

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    10-13-14 06:47 AM

Other questions:

1) Settings - Advanced Interactions - Flip to Save Power. This turns the screen off when you turn the phone face down. Not the same as a gesture/swipe but works really well. Toggle the 'Lift to Wake' option and it turns on when you pick it up
    10-13-14 09:37 AM
    1) Settings - Advanced Interactions - Flip to Save Power. This turns the screen off when you turn the phone face down. Not the same as a gesture/swipe but works really well. Toggle the 'Lift to Wake' option and it turns on when you pick it up
    Yes, the other thing to do is set it to go to standby after a specific time.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-13-14 01:41 PM
    Try WeChat.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    We chat has cross platform video calls. Works very well.

As for your baby monitor. Can you tell us what happens exactly when you try connecting?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 02:11 PM
    I tried wechat as well but it seemed not to work when the app was closed.

Feedly is awesome. Thank you for the suggestion.

It says connection error baby monitor not reachable when I click on the monitor symbol.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-13-14 04:43 PM
    I tried wechat as well but it seemed not to work when the app was closed.

Feedly is awesome. Thank you for the suggestion.

It says connection error baby monitor not reachable when I click on the monitor symbol.

Posted via CB10
    Did you try the native we chat or android?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:54 PM
    I tired the native version. But as a said it seemed to not work consistently.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:31 AM
    2.) Is there a good news client that works with Google News?

RSS Savvy is a native app that works pretty well for me!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:50 AM
    Skype aint working for you??
    BBM Video and Voice is simply the clearest in terms of voice clarity for sure.

I guess your operator may have plans which allows full voice and video options.
    10-15-14 01:49 AM
    I would double check the permissions on your Baby monitor app, there may be something off in there.

As far as turning the screen off, The next version of software 10.3.1 has schortcuts, that I assume will work on the passport, and the factory setting is to hold K to lock the screen, not exactly a perfect solution today, but it is coming.
    10-15-14 03:20 PM
    I will admit BBM Video is spotty especially when I'm traveling. Unfortunately, and I really do mean that, Skype is the only true wifi video chat that works albeit not so well.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:55 PM
    Maybe try a hard reset. You seem to be having a lot of app issues. Hold down both volume up and down buttons until the blue loading squircle shows.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:32 AM
    I am sorry to say but all these apps suck. I wish BBM video would ba available for cross platform OSes. Better yet Google hangout.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 08:19 AM