I'm looking to change my phone within the next 6 months or so, and I previously considered Android but now I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Blackberry. So far the only attractive phone BB has to offer to me is the Z10 in white, but at this point it is quite an old device. I don't mind the middling specs like the processor or camera, I'm just concerned about software support and the battery.

BB10.3 is looking really nice on the Passport, but I would really want to just get my new Z10 and update to 10.3 straightaway. Will the Z10 be officially supported on 10.3 and beyond or is it too old? I really don't like the look of the older BB10. Also, people who have this phone, how's the battery life? Coming from a 2 day battery life with light usage + watching videos I expect at least a full day. And I'm not up to date with Blackberry news, but is a Z10 upgrade (with the same design), not the Z3 coming? I would really love to get that if it's pretty much the same phone with less bezel.

Edit: Also, strange question, but how is the power button placement? I really don't like having to shuffle my hand grip to access the buttons. My current phone is pretty much the same size as the Z10, and I can't reach the top if there was a button. I know there's a swipe up to unlock feature, but what about locking the phone again?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cheewii Poon; 10-10-14 at 08:18 PM.
    10-10-14 07:53 PM
    I'm pretty sure that existing, pre passport devices are supposed to get 10.3.1. Nice thing about the z10 is the battery is removable. I just bought a battery bundle and spare battery for my kids for 19$ including shipping. I used to get most of a day out of the z10 until I switched to z30. If you are talking light usage you should get a full day pretty easy.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 07:59 PM
    I believe the Z10, Q10, Z30, and Q5 are all slated to get the 10.3.1 update. No BB10 phones outside of the Passport and the P 9983 will get 10.3 though. But since 10.3.1 is the next version of the OS after 10.3 that isn't a big deal. So there is future support planned for the Z10.

I'm still using mine now and it's still very responsive. Apps open fine and surfing the web is very quick. I'm not a huge video watcher except for the occasional YouTube clip so I can't really speak about that. But I've never really seen any complaints about video on the Z10. No problem reaching the power button for me and I have small hands. This phone is the perfect size.

The battery is probably going to be your biggest issue. It is thee #1 issue most people have with the Z10. I've been fortunate in that I'm a fairly light user and I've never run into any issues with my battery. But I know others have. But as the poster above me mentioned the battery can be replaced with another one if it's running low. So there is always that option. The Z10 is still a fine phone. But it is older in terms of specs. I would say you should go with something newer but if you are intent on moving to BB10 and from the list of things you want the Z10 may be your best bet. Is the Z30 too big for you? It has slighter beefier specs so if you could deal with the size that might be an option.
    dianap likes this.
    10-10-14 08:32 PM
    I get about 12 hrs on my z10 batt life but I'm not an overly heavy user. I watch a few YouTube vids txt email BBM and of course crackberry 10 and a few phone calls. If ur on it steady I think about 5 hrs extreme use. It's OK for me

Posted from my z10 via cb 10
    10-10-14 08:33 PM
    Yup. Got a Z10 a month ago and its tge wisest decision I have made.

Battery isnt that great, but its better than ny previous Xperia phone so I can live with it. 10hours on full charge usually.

Processor is great and all apps that I want work perfect on this phone. Hasnt lagged yet in 1.5 months of use.

Posted via CB10 on my Smart Black Z10
    10-11-14 05:25 AM
    No. Very bad idea. There is a problem with screen rotation, which begins by working sometimes, and eventually not at all, so you have a smartphone that only works in portrait mode. This seems to happen to all of them. It is impossible to communicate with Blackberry, and if you do finally find a way to email them, you will not get a reply. There are lots of forums and feedback pages, but these are a way to keep customers away. I will not be buying another Blackberry, and if you want my opinion, think carefully if you are considering it.
    10-11-14 06:05 AM
    Mine has 1 year of heavy use and no fault, is getting better and better every day, if u like the device you will not have any problems, for me is the best BlackBerry device actually, full toch and not too many big, and very nice specifications, nowadays there many devices in the market going out with worse specifications

Owner of BlackBerry Z10
    BD_BB_8520 likes this.
    10-11-14 06:13 AM
    Got mine about a month ago and I don't regret it one bit!!!

I put BlackBerry os 10.3 on it like 3 days ago and fell in love with this phone even more

Posted with my beautiful Z10
    10-11-14 07:07 AM
    It depends. If you are only interested in a device that meets your needs and won't be sorry you didn't get the latest and greatest, then I don't see a problem getting the Z10, provided it meets your needs.

My only real complaint with the Z10 is battery life. If you are just using the browser intermittantly for short periods of time, checking emails, and using the phone, then you are usually ok. Start browsing for long periods and watch the battery drain. If you are likely to be in situations where you won't be able to top off during the day, my advice is get a spare battery and external charger. Of course with these things your mileage may vary.
    10-11-14 07:31 AM
    I have had my Z10 for about a month and a half and have had no problems with it. I have small hands and have had no problem reaching the power button located on top of the device. I agree with the other posts that the battery itself is a slight issue depending on your usage. I would say that my usage is moderate and the battery lasts from 6:00am until 7:00pm. But like someone else mentioned, with battery bundle (which you can pick up for a very affordable price), it makes the battery a non-issue. Don't hesitate about getting the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:36 AM
    No. Very bad idea. There is a problem with screen rotation, which begins by working sometimes, and eventually not at all, so you have a smartphone that only works in portrait mode. This seems to happen to all of them. It is impossible to communicate with Blackberry, and if you do finally find a way to email them, you will not get a reply. There are lots of forums and feedback pages, but these are a way to keep customers away. I will not be buying another Blackberry, and if you want my opinion, think carefully if you are considering it.
    Then why are you here if your never going to buy a BlackBerry? Why not move on?

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    10-11-14 07:58 AM
    ?. Had mine for 20 months, no issues at all. Yes the battery is probably getting tired now but a replacement won't break the bank. Only reason it will be replaced soon is for the Passport. ?

? Via Ze Ten ?
    10-11-14 08:27 AM
    I got mine like two weeks ago. I had/have a 9900 and wanted to wait for the Classic (as many I suppose ;-)). Saw a used (but brand new looking) Z10 in a store for 150 ? (ca. 200$) and thought what the heck!
    Until now I'm really happy with the OS, it focuses on what you need to do with a phone. So i'd say why not get a real good used one...

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 08:32 AM
    Then why are you here if your never going to buy a BlackBerry? Why not move on?

Posted via Verizon Z10!

That doesn't really mean he's still not interested in BB10 as an OS and isn't allowed to frequent the site. Also, I was asking for opinions on buying the Z10, and he did just that: he gave me his personal opinions. I don't see what's wrong with that, it let's me know of his experience with it and possible issues I might encounter. If every comment on this thread is going to praise BB10 and nothing else, and then what's the point?
    10-11-14 09:21 AM
    I have been a blackberry user for a number of years. Tried most of the android and earlier windows phones and tried iPhone (4 & 5). Came back to blackberry z10. Loaded the leaked 10.3.1 OS and have had no issues. Love the versatility of the BlackBerry OS compared to the others. Just wish BlackBerry would release a emulator so we could make themes for the OS 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 09:35 AM
    sorry dont waste your money or your time getting a z10 try for a z30 and above
    10-11-14 09:39 AM
    sorry dont waste your money or your time getting a z10 try for a z30 and above
    Well, it all depends on price.

If a person can easily afford the additional cost of a z30 then sure, it's better.
    But the z10 is half the price on ebay.

I am still using my z10 and I got it as soon as I could on T-Mobile USA.
    A lot of people still use the Galaxy S3 and the specs are basically the same.

The only advice I would give is don't spend more than $200 on it.

I recently got a used, "refurbished "z10 on ebay for less than $140 total with shipping.

I am thinking about replacing mine but the only reasons are the battery life, but I have a spare, and more importantly, since I travel a lot, the z30 is said to have better signal reception.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:09 AM
    I really love my Z10, but it is two year old tech.

If you're the type that needs the latest iteration of whatever device, then I'd say wait till spring or at least, get the Z30.

Don't get me wrong... the Z10 is an awesome phone, but it at least two generations old.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:12 AM
    he gave me his personal opinions. I don't see what's wrong with that, it let's me know of his experience with it
    When he stated that all devices fail with regard to screen rotation he went beyond personal experience. There are plenty of posters on this site that have had z10s from release without this problem.

The z10 is a perfectly capable phone, albeit with a poor battery life. It may be an 'old' phone now, but it can be bought new for a very economical price if you shop around. I have no regrets with my white z10.
    10-11-14 11:11 AM
    If you find the functionality of z10 satisfying your *needs, I believe you will be asking the same question if z10 still going to get new OS updates.

I had been a htc android, it frustrates me when I know I am not getting the latest android os. Z10 is going to get 10.3.1 in a month's time or so but it is still unknown how well it will work on z10. I started using z10 slightly more than a year ago, from 10.0 to now 10.2.1.xx. Phone still runs as smooth, and though the battery life worse a little. It is worth the os upgrade though, I find myself so used to gestures and flicks that I am no longer comfortable using my Samsung Note 2, which i used as a work phone. I do not think anyone can be sure if z10 is going to receive future 10.4 or 10.5, however I have been happy with the upgrades.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 11:27 AM
    Happens to all of them? I've had mine for a year with no problems at all. Actually considering buying another one in white because a want something new but can't find a phone that I joke better.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:04 PM
    No. Very bad idea. There is a problem with screen rotation, which begins by working sometimes, and eventually not at all, so you have a smartphone that only works in portrait mode.
    This guy forgot how to turn off Rotation Lock...

Posted via CB10
    BD_BB_8520 likes this.
    10-11-14 09:47 PM
    Battery is not the best, fixed that by ordering a extended battery!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:03 PM
    Even though z30 has better specs I wouldn't buy it unless it felt the same or better in my hand/s then z10

Posted with my z10 stl100-2 running 10.3.0.1052
    10-11-14 10:05 PM
    I have been considering getting a z30 but overall, I am happy with my z10. I am going back and forth though on getting the classic.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:04 AM
42 12