It feels like BB10 is beginning to round the corner and gaining some interest, especially with the Passport and the Z3. It has always been said that many app developers won't make apps for BB10 until sufficient numbers are sold and in use. I'm curious to know how many BB10 sales there have been so far and how many will be required for native (or at least Android ports) apps to be developed. What would it take for Netflix or Google to create BB10 apps like they do for iOS for example? Maybe it really even isn't about the overall sales, but rather about market share?
    10-10-14 04:58 PM
    BlackBerry is VERY, VERY far away from having any market share of importance for developers.
    50-100 million devices would be a start...
    10-10-14 05:02 PM
    It depends on the developer. Some will have a lower threshold than others.

I would think 2-3 quarters of increasing BB10 sales would pull some developers back. If Passport comes in huge this quarter, it could be even sooner.

Google has a tough decision if BB10 gets more popular. On the one hand, they don't want to encourage another competitor to Android. On the other hand, though, if BB10 becomes popular they won't want to lose those users for maps, hangouts, etc. Overall, though, I would think Google would move much slower than, say, Netflix.
    10-10-14 05:10 PM
    I don't believe that there are not enough BB10 developers. No Instagram? 3 Native Instagram clients show up in BBWORLD to solve the gap.

Same for Snapchat, Reddit, Starbucks, etc.

You have a good selection in BBWorld. Amazon and other Android Apk from Snap is more than enough to fill the gap.

The are even developers helping to add Google Services on BB10. The effort and push is still there.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 05:14 PM
    At least 1 billion devices sold

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 05:15 PM
    I don't believe that there are not enough BB10 developers. No Instagram? 3 Native Instagram clients show up in BBWORLD to solve the gap.

Same for Snapchat, Reddit, Starbucks, etc.

You have a good selection in BBWorld. Amazon and other Android Apk from Snap is more than enough to fill the gap.

The are even developers helping to add Google Services on BB10. The effort and push is still there.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that many apps are available, but there are apps that require workarounds. I use Snap, but it is a workaround that not everyone is willing or able to do. Same with Google Play Services.

My OP really is about apps that we can find in BBWorld or now, Amazon.
    10-10-14 05:18 PM
    Imo it's a combination. Isn't it unbelievable that android still has a significant app gap compared to ios? Don't believe me? Dig deep enough and you'd see "compatible with ios"

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-10-14 05:25 PM
    I think this is a loaded question. Only because you need to separate the types of developer's and ultimately their goals. Example: college/uni kid who is giving their app for free. His incentive may not be monetary, it may not be to have 1 million downloads.. to get him to write a BB app you may need to get a BB phone in the hands of all his friends first.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    10-10-14 06:25 PM
    I don't think actual numbers will answer this. It would go by percentage

Around 10% market share and a lot of devs will notice

All I want for Christmas is a Passport
    Clanked likes this.
    10-10-14 06:47 PM