Hello,

I have a Q10 that we are trying to add a resource account (mailbox account) to, however Resource Accounts are always in a Disabled state on our Domain so the activation fails. If I temporarily enable the account, it succeeds activation, but that only lasts for a day or two, since the account is automatically disabled again. We have been able to use resource accounts in the past to connect to the BES on any BB prior to OS10, because of ActiveSync.

Our infrastructure currently has both a BES 10 server and a BES 5 for legacy devices. Does anyone know of any way to get a resource account working on an OS10 device? Is there a way to utilize BES10 without ActiveSync or have a BES10 device only use a BES5 protocol without ActiveSync? Thanks in advance for your help.
    10-10-14 01:25 PM
    Does your mail server offer an IMAP option? If you can access the account through OWA the IMAP information may be available there, or you may be able to get the correct information from the Exchange admin.
    10-11-14 07:50 PM
    Without A/S enabled, there are no other means to run BlackBerry 10 that i'm aware of, certainly not on BES5.

My question is, are you operating iOS, WP or Android in your environment and if so, how are those provisioned? Mirror those settings.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I can try to get the IMAP information, but will that work if the account is disabled?
    10-14-14 09:36 AM
    Without A/S enabled, there are no other means to run BlackBerry 10 that i'm aware of, certainly not on BES5.

My question is, are you operating iOS, WP or Android in your environment and if so, how are those provisioned? Mirror those settings.

Posted via CB10
    Please let me clarify, I meant ActiveSync not enabled on the device itself. The account has ActiveSync enabled but the problem is that the account is in a disabled state, so the mail stops coming through because ActiveSyncs detects the disabled state. On a BES5 device, the BES does not care whether the account is disabled or not, it will deliver the mail anyway. That is the result we would like to achieve. TIA
    10-14-14 09:38 AM
    All IMAP is looking for is a valid user name and password: if it sees those for the account, it should work.
    10-14-14 12:50 PM
    All IMAP is looking for is a valid user name and password: if it sees those for the account, it should work.
    Thanks for the reply. I got a message that stated that the mailbox cannot be added because all accounts using (my domain) are managed so i cannot use IMAP. Any other suggestions? We can't be the only company using resource account mailboxes on bb
    10-21-14 01:33 PM
    The only thing left would be to check with your Exchange admin. They should be able to provision the account to use IMAP, or give you another workaround.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:41 PM
    Forget IMAP, the real issue here is is that you are trying to access the mailbox of a disabled user account. Anything that authenticates using AD is going to say no you can't do that once it realises that the user account is disabled. BES5 was its own little bubble of proprietary voodoo that did things in a very different way.

We use Exchange in a Resource Forest with disabled user accounts for the mailboxes, but the vital difference is that the mailboxes are Linked Mailboxes which each having a matching and enabled user account linked to them in a different Forest and Domain (the Domain the users actually logon to on their computers).

That means that the credentials that are used to access the mailbox over ActiveSync are the user account and password in the User Domain, rather than the Resource Domain. BES10 has to have BDS configured appropriately under Company Directory Integration to deal with this scenario but it's not difficult, in fact it's self explanatory once you've got the topology of where things sit in the Domains straight in your head.

If you have mailboxes you are trying to add ActiveSync accounts for on any mobile device, using BES10 or not, AND the user accounts in the Resource Forest have to remain disabled (why do they auto-disable? That's not standard behaviour) AND the mailboxes haven't been created as Linked Mailboxes then you'll either have to recreate them as Linked or convert them to Linked (plenty of info on that if you search the web) and use the credentials of the user account in the other Forest/Domain that the users actually use before this has a hope in hell of working.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 10-22-14 at 06:28 AM.
    10-21-14 03:29 PM