Market goes up, BBRY goes down
    Market goes down, BBRY goes down (for consistency's sake)

BBRY: no update on passport, Z3
    Alec Saunders left as head of Project ION, but no comment from Blackberry.

Way to go Chen!!!!
    10-08-14 09:16 AM
    And you point is?
    10-08-14 09:25 AM
    My point is (if you take your rose colored glasses off) that as a public company, stock prices matter in terms of this company is perceived by potential customers.
    10-08-14 09:54 AM
    My point is (if you take your rose colored glasses off) that as a public company, stock prices matter in terms of this company is perceived by potential customers.
    You state a fact. Your point?
    sapperuk likes this.
    10-08-14 10:17 AM
    I think his point was that BlackBerry should be more forthcoming on actual units sold. BlackBerry was asked about how sales of the Z3 were in Q2 and they wouldn't answer with actual numbers in terms of units or revenues. This makes analysts nervous since enough time has passed to assess the success (or not) of that product, especially in light that Asia numbers were down and that was the target market for the Z3.

James Yersh: "Now in terms of numbers for both Z3 and for Passport, we’re not going to give those out. I think John’s commentary in terms of the experience we’ve had to date and the strong demand is what we’re comfortable in sharing right now."

See page 4 of the Q2 earnings conference call at BlackBerry (BBRY) Q2 2015 Results Earnings Call Transcript - The Singju Post
    10-08-14 04:47 PM
    And if the Z3 is doing gang busters why would you provide company confidential data like that to the competition?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:27 PM
    Because business is about making money and keeping stockholders happy. They want to know how the company's products are doing since it is their money that is keeping it afloat. Looking like this is not how you reassure stockholders or gain new ones:

Mystery - one of a kind-blackberet.jpg
    m1a1mg and theRock1975 like this.
    10-09-14 07:07 AM
    The market is a rigged game. While it's true that bb needs to keep shareholders happy, the skittish are long gone. Chen needs to bring in revenue growth right now, but you're swimming with sharks as a shareholder. Often the largest positions are taken during the most volatile downswings while the company remains quiet. You should use these moments to bring your ACB down, or leverage up.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 08:28 AM
    And if the Z3 is doing gang busters why would you provide company confidential data like that to the competition?

Posted via CB10
    To disprove the general feeling that the Z3 isn't doing gang busters.... the few indicators out there show very slow sales after initial sales for a few weeks.

Not sure what another company would do with BlackBerry's "confidential" sales data.... might be a good lesson on not trying to sell a $150 device for $260 (think that falls under common sense).
    10-09-14 02:56 PM
    To disprove the general feeling that the Z3 isn't doing gang busters.... the few indicators out there show very slow sales after initial sales for a few weeks.

Not sure what another company would do with BlackBerry's "confidential" sales data.... might be a good lesson on not trying to sell a $150 device for $260 (think that falls under common sense).
    I don't think you have any hard numbers to actually back up your assertion. Most phone surveys do not cover the countries that BlackBerry sells into. It seems to me, your sort of making it up as you go along.

What we do know is that BlackBerry 10 sales numbers were up last quarter. I don't think it is because the Z10 or the Q10 magically caught on. It's not rocket science, dude.

As to the Z3, the pricing is appropriate for what you get. Name me another comparable phone and price. It isn't some crap burner phone running Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:13 AM
    IMHO Blackberry is purposely being very coy with the stock market.

You can't really blame them, given the recent years of pillorying and negativity, even when they had good news to share. You also have to acknowledge the fragility of the turnaround just now and what might happen if they repeat the false exuberance of Thorsten Heins . I'm sure they are taking the approach of "less is more" when it comes to market communications. While I am also curious on the performance of the Z3, you have to acknowledge the recent maturity of the company actions and its seemingly resolve to stick to their execution plan.

While we're not seeing the gushing enthusiasm of Thorsten Heins or conversely the "Easter Island statues" of Mike & Jim, I think we're something more in the middle�but more quietly determined and resolute.
    10-16-14 08:49 AM
    IMHO Blackberry is purposely being very coy with the stock market.

You can't really blame them, given the recent years of pillorying and negativity, even when they had good news to share. You also have to acknowledge the fragility of the turnaround just now and what might happen if they repeat the false exuberance of Thorsten Heins . I'm sure they are taking the approach of "less is more" when it comes to market communications. While I am also curious on the performance of the Z3, you have to acknowledge the recent maturity of the company actions and its seemingly resolve to stick to their execution plan.

While we're not seeing the gushing enthusiasm of Thorsten Heins or conversely the "Easter Island statues" of Mike & Jim, I think we're something more in the middle�but more quietly determined and resolute.
    Exactly, this is more calculated and seems to be purposefully quiet and incremental. By doing this Chen doesn't risk over-promising and under-delivering. Expectations are moderate with a reasonable turnaround timeline and Chen has managed to live up to the expectations he has set, this has allowed him to demonstrate a steady recovery and leaves room to impress by outperforming the expectations they outline.

BB for Life
    10-16-14 03:18 PM
    I don't think you have any hard numbers to actually back up your assertion. Most phone surveys do not cover the countries that BlackBerry sells into. It seems to me, your sort of making it up as you go along.

What we do know is that BlackBerry 10 sales numbers were up last quarter. I don't think it is because the Z10 or the Q10 magically caught on. It's not rocket science, dude.

As to the Z3, the pricing is appropriate for what you get. Name me another comparable phone and price. It isn't some crap burner phone running Android.

Posted via CB10
    https://www.zauba.com/importanalysis...z3-report.html

They were pretty close to the same number that CrackBerry reported back a month after the launch in India. So I would assume that they are still pretty close to the current number about 43K total Z3 imported since launch. The price cuts (still not close to under $200) have helped move some devices in the last month or so... but not sure how the have affected BlackBerry or FoxConn's bottom dollar, as I doubt there is much of a change in production cost in that short of a window.

I doubt that 43K was enough to slow the overall loss of users in India.... and with the low margins and price cuts I doubt it really makes much of a difference to the bottom line. Have to hope a lot of there were company devices that added BES service to the phone.... But I expect this will be BlackBerry's last attempt at regaining the success in the emerging market they had back in the "early days". From now on it will be much higher priced devices with much higher profit per device.

Or just go read through the Z3 section of CrackBerry....
    exiledcanadian likes this.
    10-17-14 08:12 AM