My company blocked development mode on my Passport and I can't sideload Snap on it. When I did a google search, I got a Crackberry thread suggesting Sachesi works in that situation, but it's not working for me. Am I doing something wrong, or did my company put a particularly strong block on my device?

I hook up my Passport to computer through USB, run the Windows version of Sachesi 1.9.3, go to "Install" tab, click on "Install Files" and choose Snap-2_0_0_2.bar.

Sachesi then says "These tools require USB connection", searches for a USB device, talks to 1 possible device (which I presume is the Passport that I have connected to the PC).
    I don't type anything in the password, because my device is not password protected now. Actually, the company put a password on Blackberry Balance work side, but no password on the personal side.

Anyway, at the end of it, my log looks like the following (IP address redacted with #, because I don't know if it's ok to put it on publicly):

Connected to MSM8974AA_ES1.1_PVS11SB1_WINDERMEREEMEA_Rev:05 at #.#.#.#.
    Installing 1 .bar(s).
    Communication Error: 2 (Connection closed) from #.#.#.#
    Connected to MSM8974AA_ES1.1_PVS11SB1_WINDERMEREEMEA_Rev:05 at #.#.#.#.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I shut off from sideloading on my Passport because of my company's IT policy?
    10-06-14 09:00 PM
    Did your passport not come with amazon app store? You can use that, if it's not there just download and install the app, no side loading involved
    10-06-14 09:12 PM
    Interesting that you have passport shows as windermere....
    Someone should know more....
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 09:22 PM
    Did your passport not come with amazon app store? You can use that, if it's not there just download and install the app, no side loading involved
    It did come with Amazon App Store, and I have been downloading apps from it, but I would like Snap as well.
    10-06-14 09:26 PM
    In settings and storage and access, what is the USB connection switch set to? Maybe try switching to Connect to Windows?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:26 PM
    In settings and storage and access, what is the USB connection switch set to? Maybe try switching to Connect to Windows?

Posted via CB10
    I read the thread below and I did that. It didn't do anything for me.
    10-06-14 09:35 PM
    Before you try to install, does Sachesi let you do a Refresh and see the bars already on the device?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:38 PM
    Before you try to install, does Sachesi let you do a Refresh and see the bars already on the device?

Posted via CB10
    You mean "Your Applications" tab under "Install" tab?
    Yes, I think so. This is my first time with Passport and Sachesi, so I am not sure if I understand your query but I see a list with entries that look like com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.qc8974.factory_sfi and so on.
    10-06-14 09:45 PM
    You mean "Your Applications" tab under "Install" tab?
    Yes, I think so. This is my first time with Passport and Sachesi, so I am not sure if I understand your query but I see a list with entries that look like com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.qc8974.factory_sfi and so on.
    Yeah,... so that's interesting that it is actually communicating with the device. Have you tried side loading something else?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:41 PM
    Yeah,... so that's interesting that it is actually communicating with the device. Have you tried side loading something else?

Posted via CB10
    Will you give me a link to something else I can try sideloading? I just got Passport, still trying to get familiar with it all, including where to get Android apks or bars, etc (in fact, I am dropping those terms like I know something about them, which I don't... A lot of studying happening here through fire hose)
    10-06-14 10:52 PM
    Will you give me a link to something else I can try sideloading? I just got Passport, still trying to get familiar with it all, including where to get Android apks or bars, etc (in fact, I am dropping those terms like I know something about them, which I don't... A lot of studying happening here through fire hose)
    Lol, you fooled me! Try something from this link. Used to be much more useful back when we couldn't install android apk files directly and had to convert everything to bars to be sideloaded.

http://apps.goodereader.com/apk-2-bar/

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:59 PM
    The easiest and fastest way: read the stickies.

Take the snap bar and drag it to the sachesi window when you are on the install tab.

It should drop and start to install on your device.

pin:2BDA40AC

If you need help

Mecca EL likes this.
    10-06-14 11:00 PM
    The easiest and fastest way: read the stickies.

Take the snap bar and drag it to the sachesi window when you are on the install tab.

It should drop and start to install on your device.

pin:2BDA40AC

If you need help

He's tried that... but it's not letting him install.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 11:03 PM
    Let's see if xsacha can comment on this?
    10-06-14 11:10 PM
    My policy sort of deactivates as soon as I delete my work mail account. Once I install Snap and the apps I want I just set it up again. Syncs almost instantly so I don't really mind this workaround for now. This is only for apps I can't get through snap. Not a big fan of searching for apks.. maybe if will work for you as well. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:34 AM
    My policy sort of deactivates as soon as I delete my work mail account. Once I install Snap and the apps I want I just set it up again. Syncs almost instantly so I don't really mind this workaround for now. This is only for apps I can't get through snap. Not a big fan of searching for apks.. maybe if will work for you as well. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    Can I expect a similar behaviour from my device, and how do you disable and set up work email?
    10-07-14 12:20 PM
    Lol, you fooled me! Try something from this link. Used to be much more useful back when we couldn't install android apk files directly and had to convert everything to bars to be sideloaded.

APK to Bar Online Converter

Posted via CB10
    Attempting to install another bar file gives me the same error.

BTW, I just noticed there is an option item called "Allow apps from other sources to be installed", in settings, which I have up to this point didn't know about, and so it was off by default, but I found out and turned it on.
    But that didn't solve my problem.
    10-07-14 09:58 PM
    Attempting to install another bar file gives me the same error.

BTW, I just noticed there is an option item called "Allow apps from other sources to be installed", in settings, which I have up to this point didn't know about, and so it was off by default, but I found out and turned it on.
    But that didn't solve my problem.
    That's to allow you to directly install android apps (apks) from third party sources. Shouldn't really affect sideloading.

That's really frustrating that it doesn't work though. Have you tried using another USB port, or maybe even another computer?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:29 PM
    Can you atleast install Android apps on it? Then try sideload.it
    Let's you install bar files on the go with the link to the bar file

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:39 PM
    Can you atleast install Android apps on it? Then try sideload.it
    Let's you install bar files on the go with the link to the bar file

Check this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=960164

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:40 PM
    Posted via CB10
    http://sideload.it/?page_id=12

"How To
    ThIf you have not done this yet, the first thing to do in order to be able to sideload *.bar file is to enable Development Mode on your BlackBerry 10 device now:"

Unfortunately, as I said in the OP as well as the title of this thread, development mode is blocked by my company IT.
    eldricho likes this.
    10-07-14 11:23 PM
    Wipe your phone, install all things you need and then get your Passport connected to the BES10..

..posted with my best phone ever! The new BlackBerry Passport! Not sure if I still wait for a BlackBerry slider and the Classic.
    10-08-14 12:44 AM
    http://sideload.it/?page_id=12

"How To
    ThIf you have not done this yet, the first thing to do in order to be able to sideload *.bar file is to enable Development Mode on your BlackBerry 10 device now:"

Unfortunately, as I said in the OP as well as the title of this thread, development mode is blocked by my company IT.
    True, my bad OP
    Forgot about the development mode thingy

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 01:03 AM
    What you are talking about is, indeed, a BES policy. My shop enforces this policy on company-issued phones, but we have a separate policy for BYOD users that allows Developer Mode. The policy is active by default, so your admins may not even be aware that it's there.
    10-08-14 01:14 AM
    Just saw this.

Fancy Google Play Store on your BlackBerry 10 device? Here?s how - BlackBerry Empire

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    Just saw the quoted post in "Installing APKs with Dev Mode Disabled" thread on this board.
    Will the method in the linked articled in the quoted post work for me? I can't test it now because I am away from the computer.
    Just what is the difference between bar and apk anyway?

Wiping the device to install everything's an idea but not practical especially since I may need to do it more than once, and disabling the work email, I don't know how to do.

Edit: was trying the APK method, but the download link found at
    http://blackberryempire.com/forum/an...gle-play-store
    is not active because of bandwidth exceeding. Anyone know where else I can download this APK?
    Last edited by mofokey; 10-08-14 at 08:22 AM.
    10-08-14 06:09 AM
33 12