I finally dropped by a nearby Telus store and had the privilege of spending a minute with their BlackBerry Passport. I was blown away.

To my elation, the first thing I noticed was that the display is Huge and Gorgeous! During this last month I have slowly worked away from my previous negative perception of BlackBerry's physical keyboard. I bought a used Torch 9810 and have been imagining using the Passport instead of the Z30. I am glad I had this reaction because I have heretofore preferred the widescreen, all-touch form factor and this was the only thing that I was still a little undecided about.

Looking at the Bold and Q series phones, I have often felt like the keyboard takes up half the front; a lot of space that could have gone to the screen but when I first saw the Passport, I did not notice the keyboard at all. Even on my Torch, I seldom pull out the keyboard; but when I do, I am glad it's there because it really speeds up my typing.

On all-touch devices, I feel that the Software keyboard has the reverse effect of taking away screen real-estate and interrupting my consumption of content every time it pops up. On the Passport, this never happened. My screen content remained visible and scrolling on the keyboard worked as advertised. I am truly surprised that this isn't being trumpeted across the globe like when Apple released the all-touch IPhone. BlackBerry has invented "The most Amazing input technology since the Optical Mouse"!!!!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=touch+sensitive+physical+keyboard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kzIvVPOsIoeN8QfR44Dw BQ

https://www.google.ca/search?q=touch+sensitive+physical+keyboard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kzIvVPOsIoeN8QfR44DwBQ #rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=fflb&q=capacitive+physical+keyboar d

KNEEL BEFORE OUR LORD CHEN!

The Telus guys had recorded a short video so I not only got to see the beautiful results of the Optically-stabilized camera but also see for myself if watching widescreen videos on a square screen would be as bad as I thought or has been reported. I was pleasantly surprised. Due to the large size of the sccreen, I found it very watchable! Small objects in the video were visible even with the device at full arms length! The black bars were not distracting at all! Yaayyyy!!

I TOUCHED IT!! The reports are true! This thing is Amazing!-img-20141003-00042.jpg

I've taken a blurry picture of an old LG G2x over a printed (actual size) image of the Passport to show that the physical size of a widescreen video on the Passport screen is the same as the physical screen of a standard 4" widescreen phone. (Iphone 5s, Z10(4.2")). Did I say the screen is huge?

I TOUCHED IT!! The reports are true! This thing is Amazing!-passport-wide-video.jpg

From first sight, it is obvious that the Passport is a serious, premium device. The keyboard buttons look and feel solid, the matte finish is better than the smooth one on my Torch (I hope I don't touch them with oily/greasy fingers). The display is sharp and clear, with deep blacks. The weight is just right. The performance is exemplary. I believe the browser had been set to desktop mode and it rendered desktop youtube in about 2 seconds and loaded HD videos just as quickly!

Finally, my thumb could reach from one side to the other! This means that I can use it one-handed for quick check-ins and two-handed for extended use.

I TOUCHED IT!! The reports are true! This thing is Amazing!-img-20141003-00041.jpg

I'm getting this one. I do like to play games as well so I'm hoping BlackBerry will just allow the Passport to map the screen to 1280x720 like the Z30 and center it for games.

All in all, I'm happy to be alive to experience this leap in mobile computing. Thank you BlackBerry.
    10-03-14 07:44 PM
    I'm glad you enjoyed it

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    10-03-14 07:45 PM
    This is good. Thanks for sharing

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:24 PM
    Wait till you get your very own.

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.632
    10-03-14 09:29 PM
    Seems the Telus staff are on the ball with this launch, the Telus I went to, two guys were setting up the demo model,and they started telling me all about it. At a couple of the Rogers stores, that I dropped in a week later , they said, what new blackberry?
    10-03-14 09:39 PM
    I finally dropped by a nearby Telus store and had the privilege of spending a minute with their BlackBerry Passport. I was blown away.

To my elation, the first thing I noticed was that the display is Huge and Gorgeous! During this last month I have slowly worked away from my previous negative perception of BlackBerry's physical keyboard. I bought a used Torch 9810 and have been imagining using the Passport instead of the Z30. I am glad I had this reaction because I have heretofore preferred the widescreen, all-touch form factor and this was the only thing that I was still a little undecided about.

Looking at the Bold and Q series phones, I have often felt like the keyboard takes up half the front; a lot of space that could have gone to the screen but when I first saw the Passport, I did not notice the keyboard at all. Even on my Torch, I seldom pull out the keyboard; but when I do, I am glad it's there because it really speeds up my typing.

On all-touch devices, I feel that the Software keyboard has the reverse effect of taking away screen real-estate and interrupting my consumption of content every time it pops up. On the Passport, this never happened. My screen content remained visible and scrolling on the keyboard worked as advertised. I am truly surprised that this isn't being trumpeted across the globe like when Apple released the all-touch IPhone. BlackBerry has invented "The most Amazing input technology since the Optical Mouse"!!!!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=touch+sensitive+physical+keyboard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kzIvVPOsIoeN8QfR44Dw BQ

https://www.google.ca/search?q=touch+sensitive+physical+keyboard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=kzIvVPOsIoeN8QfR44DwBQ #rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=fflb&q=capacitive+physical+keyboar d

KNEEL BEFORE OUR LORD CHEN!

The Telus guys had recorded a short video so I not only got to see the beautiful results of the Optically-stabilized camera but also see for myself if watching widescreen videos on a square screen would be as bad as I thought or has been reported. I was pleasantly surprised. Due to the large size of the sccreen, I found it very watchable! Small objects in the video were visible even with the device at full arms length! The black bars were not distracting at all! Yaayyyy!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141003-00042.jpg 
Views:	2567 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	302952

I've taken a blurry picture of an old LG G2x over a printed (actual size) image of the Passport to show that the physical size of a widescreen video on the Passport screen is the same as the physical screen of a standard 4" widescreen phone. (Iphone 5s, Z10(4.2")). Did I say the screen is huge?

Name:	Passport wide video.jpg 
Views:	2919 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	302963

From first sight, it is obvious that the Passport is a serious, premium device. The keyboard buttons look and feel solid, the matte finish is better than the smooth one on my Torch (I hope I don't touch them with oily/greasy fingers). The display is sharp and clear, with deep blacks. The weight is just right. The performance is exemplary. I believe the browser had been set to desktop mode and it rendered desktop youtube in about 2 seconds and loaded HD videos just as quickly!

Finally, my thumb could reach from one side to the other! This means that I can use it one-handed for quick check-ins and two-handed for extended use.

Name:	IMG-20141003-00041.jpg 
Views:	2565 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	302964

I'm getting this one. I do like to play games as well so I'm hoping BlackBerry will just allow the Passport to map the screen to 1280x720 like the Z30 and center it for games.

All in all, I'm happy to be alive to experience this leap in mobile computing. Thank you BlackBerry.
    Gotta thank you for that review, it does it good justice.
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    10-03-14 09:47 PM
    One thing I noticed, though is that there were some sort of "burn" marks on the screen on either side where the metal store holders are... I wonder what could have caused them. I'm surprised nobody has disassembled the passport yet. It's insides must be just as gorgeous.
    10-03-14 09:52 PM
    You make me want one now.
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    10-03-14 10:04 PM
    You make me want one now.
    Want. New. Passport.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-14 10:11 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Takes some time to get used to it but yes....innovative and amazing!!!!

From my cool Passport
    Tokyo
    Via Shop BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:18 PM
    No a old one. Lol

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.632
    10-03-14 10:18 PM
    All the rogers stores I called in calgary said they don't carry it in store. You have to order online and one store I called they refused to sell me one off contract. Only one store have the actual passport. Wtf. Good I didn't get one from them. I ordered two from BlackBerry store. Telus have a nice display with the passport locked down and they too refused to sell me off contract.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:20 PM

Name:	Passport wide video.jpg 
Views:	2919 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	302963
    There were a number of reviewers that complained about the viewing size of videos on the Passport, some even complained about the dreaded black bars. This just proves how stupid of an argument that is.
    m3mb3rsh1p and D3C0D3R like this.
    10-03-14 10:37 PM
    There were a number of reviewers that complained about the viewing size of videos on the Passport, some even complained about the dreaded black bars. This just proves how stupid of an argument that is.
    So True. In a way, these black bars actually seem help to focus on the video content by creating a sort of Dark Room effect. On a standard widescreen phone, the edge of the screen is framed by the surroundings/background which can be distracting. I think we don't notice horizontal distractions as much because we have a circular area of focus around the center of the screen and the wide video goes to the horizontal peripheral vision but the vertical peripheral vision is not fully covered so these black bars help keep out distractions... I think.

I hope BlackBerry takes multitasking to the next level on the Passport by enabling full operation of background apps. With a full resolution 720p movie playing in the top half, there would be enough pixels left in the bottom half to type notes or write a review about it and no on-screen keyboard to distract from the screen. With a 720x1440 document window in the left half, there would be 720x1440 on the right for a secondary app.

This "Work Wide" idea has a lot of potential.

I also just realised that the Passport "IS" an all-touch device
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 10-03-14 at 11:26 PM.
    10-03-14 11:06 PM
    So True. I hope BlackBerry takes multitasking to the next level on the Passport by enabling full operation of background apps. With a full resolution 720p movie playing in the top half, there would be enough pixels left in the bottom half to type notes or write a review about it and no on-screen keyboard to distract from the screen. With a 720x1440 document window in the left half, there would be 720x1440 on the right for a secondary app.

This "Work Wide" idea has a lot of potential.

I also just realised that the Passport "IS" an all-touch device
    Indeed it's an "All TOUCH DEVICE "

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:15 PM
    One thing I noticed, though is that there were some sort of "burn" marks on the screen on either side where the metal store holders are... I wonder what could have caused them. I'm surprised nobody has disassembled the passport yet. It's insides must be just as gorgeous.
    I saw the screen burn marks on the Telus demo unit. I believe it is caused by the pressure from the security clamps.

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    10-03-14 11:16 PM
    I just printed a PDF flyer for my mom straight from BlackBerry to my MX860 via Printhand app. No special new printer. No special printing protocol. Just my good ol' wifi printer.
    I TOUCHED IT!! The reports are true! This thing is Amazing!-img_20141003_211502.jpg

I TOUCHED IT!! The reports are true! This thing is Amazing!-img_20141003_211442.png

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    m3mb3rsh1p and EsJayDee like this.
    10-03-14 11:27 PM
    I just printed a PDF flyer for my mom straight from BlackBerry to my MX860 via Printhand app. No special new printer. No special printing protocol. Just my good ol' wifi printer.

Name:	IMG_20141003_211502.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	303007

Name:	IMG_20141003_211442.png 
Views:	453 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	303008

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    That's great man! :P
    However, I'd update your sig if I were you to match your new model
    10-04-14 01:09 AM
    Those aren't burn marks. I know exactly what those are since I've seen them at Telus, Best Buy, etc. before. The clamps are too tight and damaging the screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:56 AM
    I just did. Thanks D3C0D3R.
    By the way, somebody in CrackBerry or Mobile Nation please add Passport to the list of device used. Last time I tried to update my general profile, I didn't see it as an option. Thanks.
    That's great man! :P
    However, I'd update your sig if I were you to match your new model
    10-06-14 11:16 AM
    I just did. Thanks D3C0D3R.
    By the way, somebody in CrackBerry or Mobile Nation please add Passport to the list of device used. Last time I tried to update my general profile, I didn't see it as an option. Thanks.
    Not sure if you've seen it but it's there now to set your mobile device as being the Passport! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-07-14 07:22 PM