I am a long time blackberry user who left the fold after the 9900 and now coming back with the passport. I am loving this thing. Well one big reason for purchase was the battery. I am literally up from 8am to 9pm on my phone for work. I have only had my passport for three days but I am only getting about 7 -9 hrs out it before it's down to 10%. It seems to be getting better a bit each day, but is there some type of conditioning process that needs to happen? Also, what is the app that every one uses to track their power consumption? I have seen screen grab s but can't seem to find it.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 09:27 PM
    20+ in probably low usage? I used mine in area with bad signal and got about 10~12 hours. some web browsing. the usage tracking is in settings, then go to app manager and then device monitor and select battery usage
    10-02-14 09:31 PM
    BBVE = BlackBerry Virtual Expert for a quick look but you can get to Device Monitor from it as well.
    10-02-14 09:32 PM
    A major issue that I imagine is still present on the passport is how the android runtime works coming with 10.3.1 well be able to handle if an app will run headless or not a major problem with android it self.

What I'm getting at is are you using Android apps on your daily basis? They kill batteries

Example: two nights ago I downloaded a torrent via ttorrent pro (android) did not close the apps headless side via device monitor and the next day my battery went from 100% to 10% in 3 hours on my z10. Closed app charged phone then lasted 8 hours as normal.

You can find the battery thing as below

Battery life? Not seeing the 20+ hrs-img_20141002_203710.png
    Battery life? Not seeing the 20+ hrs-img_20141002_203719.png

In Squircle I Trust
    europolska00 and Spcreddy like this.
    10-02-14 09:37 PM
    Woah just realized my phone is killing it in battery life today.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-02-14 09:39 PM
    I've been seeing great battery life with my device! And that is with everything on (NFC, WIFI, Location, etc.).

In the settings open Device Monitor to see your battery stats and usage. It can be found under the quick settings.
    10-02-14 09:41 PM
    My guess is that even with a big battery you must consider the following:
    1) Big LCD screen (not AMOLED). Uses a lot of power.
    2) Quad core processor @ 2.2 GHZ
    3) 3G of RAM
    4) 32GB Flash memory
    All of these things make the phone fast and high performance but also uses power. Lot's of it.
    I predicted a few months ago that the Passport would have about the same usable battery runtime as the Z30.
    The Z30 has a smaller battery than the Passport but has less RAM, Less Flash memory, dual core processor running at slower speed and most important AMOLED screen.
    Seems I predicted well.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-02-14 09:44 PM
    I usually get more than twenty four hours. I have poor reception at work, and I do a lot of texting, emailing, web browsing, etc.
    I use my device to play music during commutes.
    At home, my cell coverage is even worse. I usually spend several hours on the phone, stream music to my receiver over WI-FI, play Netflix over my Chromecast, do a lot more web browsing and texting / emailing, and I regularly use several apps, including: CB10, Feedminder,Yahoo! Fantasy Sports (android), Yahoo! Sports (android), Netflix (android), Music, Browser, etc.
    I'd check your device monitor, because there's probably a specific application that's eating your battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 09:49 PM
    For the first few days, the battery life will be short. Give it a few day and it will improve significantly. Happened on my Z10 and Z30. The Passport is no different. Maybe battery calibration, data syncing, who knows? Maybe we just tend to play more with our new devices.
    10-02-14 09:54 PM
    My guess is that even with a big battery you must consider the following:
    1) Big LCD screen (not AMOLED). Uses a lot of power.
    2) Quad core processor @ 2.2 GHZ
    3) 3G of RAM
    4) 32GB Flash memory
    All of these things make the phone fast and high performance but also uses power. Lot's of it.
    I predicted a few months ago that the Passport would have about the same usable battery runtime as the Z30.
    The Z30 has a smaller battery than the Passport but has less RAM, Less Flash memory, dual core processor running at slower speed and most important AMOLED screen.
    Seems I predicted well.
    Also the capacitive keyboard and resolution of the LCD
    lift likes this.
    10-02-14 10:57 PM
    Thanks all for the tips and information. I will give it a couple more days of use and see if it keeps improving. On the note of android apps, I was testing a slew of them, so I wonder if that had an effect. Now I have gotten the phone set up as I need it for work. I am still a little slow on the keyboard but I am getting faster. I am up to about 40 wpm, it's good to be back with Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-03-14 07:06 AM
    Yesterday It was off the charger for 17 hours. During the day it was connected by blueooth in my car - about 4 hrs of driving. Both on my way out and back I had 2 hour longs calls. Constant emails and calls throughout the day and lots of pictures in the afternoon. 44% remaining at bed time with 19 hours still to go

No complaints here

Battery life? Not seeing the 20+ hrs-img_20141002_233422.png

Posted via CB10
    AL8x B, EsJayDee, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    10-03-14 08:06 AM
    My passport battery life is awesome I use it from medium to low usage,way better than my Z10
    Battery life? Not seeing the 20+ hrs-img_20141003_094652.png

Passported this message via BlackBerry passport
    10-03-14 08:50 AM
    Turn down the brightness of you can stand it. That is a major contributor to battery usage of you use your phone constantly.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:19 AM
    I'm finding it hard to put this phone down right now. After 6 hours of use so far today...
    Battery life? Not seeing the 20+ hrs-img_20141003_112923.png

via CB10 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052
    Last edited by AZN; 10-06-14 at 12:57 AM.
    10-03-14 11:30 AM
    i started off with 75% this morning been using it a lot and only got 24% left or 1 hour , I have my screen brightness right down on the lowest setting as i find it good there, I have bluetooth off and nfc, any other tips you guys have ?, I only got it yesterday and haven't run it right down and gone on a full charge maybe it will be better after that ???
    10-04-14 08:41 AM
    For the first few days, the battery life will be short. Give it a few day and it will improve significantly. Happened on my Z10 and Z30. The Passport is no different. Maybe battery calibration, data syncing, who knows? Maybe we just tend to play more with our new devices.
    Typically, I have seen this in all Android phones where all the bloatware used to take up memory and subsequently after a week or 10 days, the battery life gets stabilised. This may also have something to do with the battery itself.
    10-04-14 08:53 AM
    What are those of you with exceptional battery life typically running your screen brightness at?
    10-04-14 12:54 PM
    What are those of you with exceptional battery life typically running your screen brightness at?
    About 30 % on the slider

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:00 PM
    I'm getting 30+ hours no problem right now. On the previous charge I got 44 hours. I didn't adjust the brightness at all.

I wasn't using Android apps though

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 01:36 PM
    I am a long time blackberry user who left the fold after the 9900 and now coming back with the passport. I am loving this thing. Well one big reason for purchase was the battery. I am literally up from 8am to 9pm on my phone for work. I have only had my passport for three days but I am only getting about 7 -9 hrs out it before it's down to 10%. It seems to be getting better a bit each day, but is there some type of conditioning process that needs to happen? Also, what is the app that every one uses to track their power consumption? I have seen screen grab s but can't seem to find it.

Posted via CB10
    The LCD display is a real battery hog. Turn it down as low as you can stand. I have mine at about 45%.

A couple of other things I suggest to maximize battery life:

- Don't allow apps to auto update. Some have schedules in the menu and may default to as frequent as every 15 minutes! Keep them closed when not in use.
    - In location settings, turn off traffic data collection and location based ads. This sends frequent location info to BlackBerry & causes battery drain.
    - In Sucurity and Privacy settings, turn off auto collection. Sending of diagnostic information. Again, an unnecessary drain on precious battery life.
    - In Display settings, turn off swipe to wake. This means you'll need to use the power button. Swipe to wake keeps the screen sensors active even when the display is off.
    - In Quick settings, turn off blend when you're not in front of your computer. It'll connect to it via wifi or mobile connection, but if you're away from the laptop, no need for it to be connected.

Those things above should make a real difference. I found this stuff out by trial and error when I owned the Z10. It also had a beautiful LCD screen, but that was what killed the battery life.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    Last edited by kthhrrsn; 10-11-14 at 07:29 AM.
    Mo Cat likes this.
    10-04-14 01:48 PM
    My battery life is great. I'm at about 40% brightness.
    Battery life? Not seeing the 20+ hrs-img_20141004_151124.png

Posted with my Z30 from CB10
    10-04-14 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hi buddy, I had the same problem with mine the first three to four days. But then I gave it a good charge over night with the rapid charger and it's been good since then. Yesterday I my battery didn't go under 40%. But that was a day of normal use like calls, bbm, email, web. When I do a lot of Youtube or internet radio it still lasts the day just barely.

Try a good night long charge a few times. Let me know what happens. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 02:49 PM
    Mine is around 70%

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 02:52 PM
    I just went 24hrs and still had 47% this morning. Lots of msging, social media, gps, location on, surfing, crackberry,BBM video, etc. This batt is killer!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport 10.3
    10-04-14 03:51 PM
99 123 ...