Hello all,
    I can't wait to get my hands on a BB passport. So amped for it that I actually went and applied for an actual passport (I know, I know).
    My question: Will BB ever be able to bring Google Voice & Hangouts to BB 10. If not, are there any suggestions for alternatives. I use both for my business, especially Google Voice (use it for my business number).

Thank you
    10-02-14 06:14 PM
    Hello all,
    I can't wait to get my hands on a BB passport. So amped for it that I actually went and applied for an actual passport (I know, I know).
    My question: Will BB ever be able to bring Google Voice & Hangouts to BB 10. If not, are there any suggestions for alternatives. I use both for my business, especially Google Voice (use it for my business number).

Thank you
    BBM, Skype, whatsapp, etc. And it's not whether BlackBerry will bring google voice and handouts. It's whether Google wants to. Otherwise it's third party developers making their own clients for those apps.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    double_fault, RazzBerry and p51 like this.
    10-02-14 06:17 PM
    I use google voice heavily and hangouts as well. I would like to hear how other passport users work around it.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-02-14 06:19 PM
    Thank you for the reply. I don't know if any of the other services will allow me to create a separate number though. Am I mistaken?
    10-02-14 06:21 PM
    I don't use hangouts, as there is no client. I do, however, use Google Talk. It works fine, but there is no group chat, video, or voice.

I also use Google voice. I use BlaCaDa to make calls. It is essentially a dialer that calls your gv number, enters your pin, then calls the number. Takes an extra 15 seconds to make the call, but it works.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 06:28 PM
    Has anyone used gvoice for texts? I know many months ago google disabled the android app from working. anyone get it to work? I havent bothered for months. I was using a bb10 client for gvoice but it seems to stop me from logging in now
    10-09-14 11:07 PM
    Hmm saw this on a thread Check out qgvdial: A native Qt5 client for Google Voice in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59936590

Posted via CB10
    hnguyen and uvatbc like this.
    10-09-14 11:13 PM
    I use google voice for my incoming number and for texting, and just make standard phone calls outbound with my caller ID blocked. I have GV set to send texts to my phone via SMS and I can reply to those - the only annoyance is starting a new SMS conversation with someone whom I haven't texted recently. To do that I launch voice.google.com in my browser and clumsily navigate to the contact, then begin the conversation. Once they reply to me - I can use the standard SMS reply in my phone.
    12-22-14 12:45 PM
    Please help me understand this, I thought you were able to load Android APK with BB10. So if that's the case wouldn't the Google Voice APK I have on my computer enable Google Voice on my future Blackberry Passport.
    12-28-14 07:52 AM
    The google voice apk from the play store will only allow you to send and read texts, but not make calls. It won't make you calls show from your gv number like it does on android phones,

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 09:38 AM
    The google voice apk from the play store will only allow you to send and read texts, but not make calls. It won't make you calls show from your gv number like it does on android phones,
    Posted via CB10
    That's perfectly fine, I do alot of Google Voice texting, very little calling. I can use the hack I used when I used a windows phone.
    The only problem I have now is that Playstore is showing that I installed Google voice and I can't download the APK from them.

Will work on it, just picked up my Passport this morning.
    12-28-14 11:47 AM
    Hi. I just got the BB Classic... really need to know how to get GV on my phone! Please help!
    03-14-15 10:48 PM
    My main number is a Google Voice number and it's all I've used for a few years now. When I'm talking to my carrier, I have to go into the phone app to figure out what my mobile number actually is.

Before I get into this, know that Google Voice works by assigning what they call a 'shadow number' to each number you call. It's a completely different number that is tied to your account and the party you're calling. This comes into play later.

For calling:
    1) BlaCaDa in BBWorld is your easiest option. It automates the process of calling your Google Voice number, entering your passcode, choosing the option to make a call, and then dialing the number. It's sort of compatible with your BlackBerry contacts in that you long press the contact in your list and 'Share' it with the BlaCaDa app which then opens and, after you choose which of the contact's numbers to call (if they have more than one), makes the call. Since it uses the BlackBerry phone app to call, after dialing the number once using BlaCaDa, you can then save the long string of numbers and pauses from your call log to the contact's info and bypass the 'sharing with BlaCaDa' step the next time. Technically, you can add that string to your numbers yourself with BlaCaDa or even save the string as a contact of its own and manually dial numbers when prompted... but BlaCaDa makes the whole process easy. Even the 'sharing' is easier than it sounds reading it.

2) The HTML5 Web App. The dialer page is gone now on the BlackBerry browser, but there is a text box where you can type or paste the*number you want to call. The web app then calls your phone, you answer, and you immediately hear your call ringing to the party you're calling. The web app also has a Contacts link that upon first viewing looks worthless because it might just be a list of numbers, but if yours does look like that, continue paging through and you'll find your contact names. I'm guessing it's combining your call history with your contact list and simply listing the numbers (entries with no corresponding contact) before the letters. Personally, I keep my work contacts in my work Google account and my personal contacts in my personal Google account, so I don't use this method as much. Also, its UI is terribly ugly, but it is, technically, functional. *

3) gvdial app for BBWorld. It's a dialer that loads your contact list and shows your GV Inbox as a list of numbers that you've called and texted. Tapping on a number shows you the call info or the messages. I just noticed that there's a slight bug when using the Passport in the Contacts list. There's a search box that is activated automatically in the contacts list, which causes the Passport to show the '4th keyboard row.' This row covers gvdial's 'tabs' for the sections of the app, so the only way to get out of the contacts list is to select a number or close the app. When using gvdial to call, it works the same way as the web app... calls your phone and you answer to finish placing your call.

For texting:
    1) The HTML5 Web App. Works just like it does when calling, *but* when your contact replies, you'll see Google Voice's 'shadow number' as the number that is replying. The contact's number will precede the message, though, so you won't be totally confused as to who is contacting you. You can save this shadow number in your contact's information to get their name associated in your text/hub list. Also, you can now call this number directly from your contact list to have your Google Voice number show up on your recipient's caller ID. This number is static and will work from any of the phones you have associated with your Google Voice account, so it's not like your contact list will be cluttered with a bunch of extra numbers. I save it as 'Other' and sometimes have confusion when I have the person's home and mobile number, but I've started putting a note telling me which is which in my contact's note section. (It'd be nice if BlackBerry added the ability to create a custom label in the Contacts app) Having this shadow number means that, unlike with BlaCaDa, you can dial directly from your contact list as you would with any number. You're not calling Google Voice first and Google Voice isn't calling you. About the only other disadvantage is that you're not going to have the first part of your conversation in your BlackBerry text app/hub... because you sent via the web app. (If they texted you first, obviously you will and once you start using the shadow number, you'll be initiating the texts from your BlackBerry, so you will then, too)

2) gvdial. Again, it works pretty much the same as it does for calls and the web app. And once the person replies, you've got that shadow number.

As you can see, the shadow number helps the process completely. Personally for calling, I paid for BlaCaDa and save the string for numbers I don't or can't text. For texting, gvdial is free, I believe, but I rarely use it and use the web app instead. But, that's only because I usually forget about gvdial. I'm sure others would recommend using it over the web app. I've been doing these workarounds for so long now, though, that I have the shadow numbers for almost everyone in my contacts list. That's why I tend to forget gvdial.

If you use a Firefox based mobile browser, you can access the dial pad on the Google Voice mobile site instead of the crappy legacy site we get with our BlackBerry browser, but that's mostly an visual upgrade as opposed to a functional one. Although someone posted here in the forums that they couldn't get the BlackBerry browser/legacy site to work.

Previously, Google Voice used something they called 'Click2Dial' on the web app and it would initiate the call directly from the browser. So, your BlackBerry would ask you if you wanted to allow your browser to make the call. When it did, it called the shadow number, which made the process of getting the shadow numbers much easier. I thought the dialer in the web app going away had something to do with Click2Dial going away, but it apparently doesn't. Whatever brought about the change in one might have also brought about the change in the other, but getting one back doesn't mean we'll get the other back... if that makes sense.

I don't know how helpful it would be overall, but I started a thread over in the Google forums asking how to get the shadow numbers. Maybe it'd help to have a bunch of BlackBerry users go over there and throw some 'Yeah, I want this, too' support behind it since actual apps from Google are probably a long time in coming... if ever.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/xrCwc2-fALA

This is painfully long, but hopefully you don't have any more questions regarding Google Voice on BlackBerry. :P‎

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 01:14 AM
    I just discovered an issue with my suggestion for saving the long "BlaCaDa string" in your Contacts list. (The number that BlaCaDa dials when you use it to call out.)

I'd only saved it under two contacts at this point, so I'm not sure if what I'm about to describe is because it's the first contact alphabetically or the first contact I saved with the number.

Your voicemail texts come from your Google Voice number and the phone is taking either the first contact it finds (I think) with that number in it and applying it to the text. In my case, I applied the BlaCaDa string to a family member that rarely even uses the phone and, all of a sudden, I had text message from them that contained a transcribed voicemail from my Google Voice account. So, don't save the BlaCaDa string in your Contacts list. This isn't a BlaCaDa issue... it's a "I suggested something before thoroughly testing it out" issue.

But there is one BlaCaDa issue I've run across... If you have a voicemail, it messes up the BlaCaDa's automation that BlaCaDa and the prompt it chooses isn't to call out. It's to call whomever left the voicemail back. Google Voice must take a little while, too, to flag the voicemail read, because I tried three times in a row to use BlaCaDa after listening to the voicemail and Google Voice still registered the voicemail as unread. This renders BlaCaDa useless when you have a voicemail. I would imagine there's someway to intercept and/or stop the automation process on BlackBerry, but maybe not.
    Rendergroup likes this.
    03-18-15 10:46 AM
    Hi. I just got the BB Classic... really need to know how to get GV on my phone! Please help!
    I use qgvdial from the AppWorld to make calls and send text, it works pretty well.
    03-18-15 10:57 AM
    I use qgvdial from the AppWorld to make calls and send text, it works pretty well.
    yes but does it use your minutes or is it strictly just using data i have a tmobile plan for $30 a month and only have 100 minutes grant it i dont talk much but it would be nice to know i can use data instead to talk
    03-19-15 07:39 PM
    yes but does it use your minutes or is it strictly just using data i have a tmobile plan for $30 a month and only have 100 minutes grant it i dont talk much but it would be nice to know i can use data instead to talk
    I never know GV to use data for voice calls. Since I have unlimited voice, I don't ever check. However, the user agreement did state that GV reduces your voice minutes. Granted that was 6, 7 yrs ago when I first signed up for GV, but I can't imagine that it changed.
    03-19-15 07:46 PM
    I never know GV to use data for voice calls. Since I have unlimited voice, I don't ever check. However, the user agreement did state that GV reduces your voice minutes. Granted that was 6, 7 yrs ago when I first signed up for GV, but I can't imagine that it changed.

i used to use grooveip which ran thru gv and it was excellent for this no minutes were ever used
    03-19-15 07:59 PM
    I could never used GV on any of my tablets, but I could use it on lines that have voice subscription.
    03-19-15 08:02 PM
    i used to use grooveip which ran thru gv and it was excellent for this no minutes were ever used
    Can you clarify what you mean by 'ran *thru* gv?'

When I was looking for ways to make calls on my tablet, someone recommended TalkATone and grooveshark. I ended up going with the former, but I thought they basically worked the same. You'd assign them as phones on your Google Voice account and then their capability to make calls via were what enabled you to do it with your Google Voice number, but Google Voice itself really had nothing to do with it.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 09:07 PM
    no your spot on talkatone worked the same way, you sign in with your google account an you can use it to make calls over data
    03-19-15 09:36 PM
    Fongo if your in Canada talk and text runs off data excellent app if you have to call long distance. 2 cents a minute long distance to the US and overseas is 5 cents or something like that but the app has to be downloaded in canada then you can use it anywhere. It has more than talk and text. It will find gas hotels food etc. I've had it for years. Check it out.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 09:44 PM
    Great info on this thread. Thanks everyone for your c

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 01:41 AM
    I use google voice heavily and hangouts as well. I would like to hear how other passport users work around it.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Google Voice will still forward to your phone number. You just don't have the ability to make calls like on an Android/iPhone however you can call your Google Voice number from your registered Google phone and you can then make a call from there. Certainly more of a pain but do-able if you need it. Text messages can be forwarded to your phone as can voice mail notifications which you can call in and get. It isn't the most convenient of things but it does give you a way to do it.

Also, If you go to GV web site in browser and sign in, you can then make a shortcut on the home screen for it. This gives you a little more direct means to your messages and also allows you to make calls with you Google #
    Last edited by clitrenta; 03-20-15 at 09:23 AM.
    03-20-15 08:53 AM
    I just ported my GV number away from google. I couldn't deal with the terrible html5 app anymore.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 11:09 AM
33 12