I'm talking here about swipe up with two fingers gesture that brings the virtual keyboard up regardless if you're in an app or not.
    I keep wondering why is it not of any use so far. That could make for perfect shortcut options, to be able to assign an action to the letter on the virtual keyboard. It would make the whole OS even more efficient.

It looks like 10.3.1 is bringing some customizable shortcuts. I hope they will work on virtual keyboards as well and not only on Classic phones.

What do you thinks folks. I think it could be one of the killer features on the alltouch BlackBerry phones.
    mjdimer likes this.
    10-01-14 06:33 PM
    hmmmmm
    10-01-14 07:29 PM
    Agreed, they already work in the browser.. B,T, Space. Shift + Space, W, etc etc

Posted via CB10
    z1nsane likes this.
    10-01-14 09:23 PM
    Good stuff. Didn't even know they worked in the browser.
    What I'm after here is customisation like for example long press T for new text message to my girlfriend working from anywhere in the system , E for email to best friend, B to launch BBM etc...
    10-02-14 02:00 AM
    i was wondering the same also. It would definitely give BB10 a sharper edge.
    10-04-14 11:10 AM
    Better yet, if you store something like T to text to wife, it just makes the instant reply banner pop down on any app, bang out the text, then keep moving. Have it work similar for BBM, Whatsapp. Eh? Ehh?
    10-05-14 01:24 AM
    If they did do this, how would we prefer the apps on the screen to adjust to less real estate due to the vkb taking up display space?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 01:48 AM
    Better yet, if you store something like T to text to wife, it just makes the instant reply banner pop down on any app, bang out the text, then keep moving. Have it work similar for BBM, Whatsapp. Eh? Ehh?
    Cool idea. That would shave another couple of seconds...

I really hope we are not too far from it. Shortcuts are coming for sure for Classic. If only BlackBerry let the touch enabled phones also use that feature.
    10-05-14 05:04 AM
    If they did do this, how would we prefer the apps on the screen to adjust to less real estate due to the vkb taking up display space?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think there is a need for any change to what it is now. The virtual keyboard goes on top of an app. That should work the same way instant notifications work now.
    10-05-14 05:09 AM
    I think their is shortcuts for touch enabled keyboards, but only can be mapped to the numbers 0-9 not the letters.

My Z30 is in the shop after a not so good experience with a sim adapter. When I get it back I'll try and post a vid.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:18 AM
    Actually now that I think about if the vkb came up just for shortcuts that would male a lot of sense. My concern was the vkb covering apps you needed.

I was seeing it more as being able to have the vkb as a permanent fixture until we chose to close it. I was curious how if would work with changed display area for apps and if you opened an app how it would display example: would bottom of app be at top of keyboard? As this would change the display ratio.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:22 AM
    I see what you mean. What I'm thinking about is like on the screen capture below. I swiped with 2 fingers up and brought the vk. If I pressed letter T now, it would overlay a text input field (looking exactly like instant notification) with my wife as addressee. Just type in and your done. 2 fingers swipe down to hide the kb and back into weather app. All comms done without leaving the app.
    The addressee and type of input field (bbm, whatsup, text, email etc...) would be customisable through settings.

Virtual keyboard shortcuts coming in 10.3.1??-img_20141005_162604.png
    10-05-14 10:41 AM
    That sounds like a great idea to me. So instead of the shortcut launching an app only it could be for toast like messaging. Example: BBM Bob or Text Sally.

I wonder if it could be done as a 2-step process.

First letter chooses app: B-BBM, T-text, etc.

Second letter to choose recipient.

Obviously this would have to be setup in the settings but could really help with productivity.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:35 AM
    Is anyone using the 10.3.1 shortcuts now?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965149

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:44 PM