This one is for all of you who already have a Passport. I'm currently using a Z10 that I've installed 10.3.0.1154 on. I was there on day 1 to get this phone, that's how much I wanted it. I've been a Blackberry user the entire time I've had a smart phone, this is the only brand I've ever owned. I've played with my wife's Droids, I've fiddled with my Dad's iPhone, so I know what they are all about. I have to say, I'm not a fan of physical keyboards any more. Once I went to an all-touch Blackberry I swore I'd never go back. Now the Passport has me torn. I don't want to go back to a physical keyboard, I'd rather have the real estate for screen size.. But I also don't want to pass on what could be a great phone. Had they made an all-touch Passport, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

So here's the real question:
    What is it about the Passport that would make me want it over my amazing Z10 that is already running the same Os? What does it do that my Z10 isn't already doing?

I'm looking for insight, not to turn this into a crazy flame-war or tirade about one phone vs another. Let's keep it friendly, intelligent, non-demeaning and informative.
    Thanks guys.
    stooy leown likes this.
    09-30-14 12:38 PM
    This isn't a for or an against stance towards the passport, honestly I'm still a little torn myself.. but to touch on your above points.. if the keyboard isn't something that's drawing you in (the keyboard tech on the passport is arguably one of it's biggest features) then in my opinion it comes down to the size.. the passport is big and square... love it or hate it, that's it's claim to fame... to that point, and speaking of screen real estate.. it actually has more screen then your all touch Z10.. the Z10 having a 4.2" screen and the passport being 4.5". And then, there's battery life.. a 30 hour battery is something that is envied by almost anyone in the developed world.. sort of the above.. besides little things like miracast, fm radio & USB host.. feature wise it doesn't do any more or less then your Z10.
    09-30-14 12:51 PM
    The keyboard on the Passport is really the best of both worlds. You still retain the touch capabilities. I guess if Blackberry really want to, they can make it completely touch sensitive with software.
    As for the screen, not only the size, it also has much higher resolution. A lot more information can be displayed, just smaller. No pop up keyboard covering screen while typing, and no finger in the screen when browsing or reading document, just move around with the keyboard.
    Short battery life was a concern I had with my Z10. No worries what so ever with the Passport.
    09-30-14 01:08 PM
    You may be better off getting a Z30 instead. I went from a Z10 to the Z30 and I appreciate the battery life tremendously as well as the small increase in speed. I'm similar to you in thinking about the physical keyboard. I am holding onto my device until they release another all touch that really increases the specs. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:13 PM
    It's so different from the Z10. I had the Z10 and then got the Q10 and Z30.

Here's the thing about the Passport keyboard: It is not like a traditional keyboard. It is in terms of looks, but in terms of functionality, it is far ahead. It combines the aspects of the BlackBerry virtual keyboard which I love (and you probably do too), but adds the actual keys. You won't believe how well BlackBerry has pulled this off. They have combined the best features from both of their keyboards.

The Passport battery will have you wondering how you ever lived with your Z10. The Passport has a certain weight to it that the Z10 doesn't have. The Z10 will feel like a cracker compared to the Passport, though the Passport isn't what I would call heavy. The Z10 still looks great, but the Passport looks and feels more luxurious by far..even better than the Z30 and Q10.

Also, the Passport is just faster. The processor is world's better than the Z10, so everything you do on your Z10 will be bigger and faster on your Passport. The speakers are also on another level. The Z10 sounds flat in comparison to the rich sounds of the Passport.

I hope this helps, let me know if you want anything else.
    09-30-14 01:33 PM
    Use a passport and see if you call the z10 or z30 amazing again... Lol passport it beyond amazing if thats what you consider any other bb. Speed of os is way different
    09-30-14 02:00 PM
    I've played with my wife's Droids, I've fiddled with my Dad's iPhone
    That sounds a little, well, um, er.... I know this is off-topic but I couldn't resist.
    09-30-14 02:09 PM
    I have had the Z10 and Z30 and picked up the Passport last week on the first day. I will say that it will take a couple days to get used to the keyboard. My biggest issue was adjusting to the space bar size and placement but since I can fly on this thing and rarely have to make a correction. Like others have said you still have all the benefits of the great touch screen keyboard with the added benefit of the physical keyboard. Battery life is outstanding compared to the Z10 and the few android apps I run are 100 % faster and more stable. Z10 may have the Passport beat when it comes to one handed use but that's about it. I love the Passport!

Passport on AT&T
    09-30-14 02:10 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I love my Z10 and the amazing keyboard and flick typing. Grrr I wish BlackBerry just made the exact same phones that were only slightly better every year

Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:13 PM
    I has the Z10 and z30 but passport is in another league, as much as love both of the Z, passport experience is not comparison.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:14 PM
    I'm sure if you wait BlackBerry will release an all touch device similar to the Passport

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:18 PM
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a Z30 so there really isn't anything it does that my phone doesn't except for Blend (but that's a big deal even though I know I'll likely get Blend with 10.3.1 in a few months) and I have no real complaints about speed on my phone but I think I'm running out of memory when I try to run too many Android apps at once which causes the phone to freeze up for a minute and kill the android runtime process and all the android apps along with it. I usually find my camera on my Z30 good except for a couple second lag I seem to get from pressing the shutter to the picture being taken (which most likely is a software optimization issue).

The updated specs just seem awesome and the passport seems to be a phone that starts conversations and grabs attention which I like. People usually mistake my Z30 for a Samsung Galaxy S5 or even the new iPhone 6 Plus. I just don't feel a need to have a physical keyboard again. I'm disappointed the Passport doesn't have an AMOLED display, carbon weave back, or a dedicated microHDMI port. Even with those negatives I'm still very interested in the device. I know within six months there probably will be a new touchscreen flagship but waiting sucks!
    Last edited by cbosdell; 09-30-14 at 03:46 PM.
    09-30-14 03:36 PM
    All good comments, I thank you all for that.

A couple things that jump out at me are:
    • Faster processor - I had actually not thought about that, that's a solid point. So the Passport wins here.
    • FM Radio - This one seems trivial, but it really isn't. I've even thought about going to a Z30 just for that. So the Passport wins here.
    • Speaker quality - Ok, this is actually a good one. I've played with my wife's HTC One some. The sound quality on that thing is amazing for a phone. I often use her phone for YouTube videos on the go just because it sounds so much better. She uses it as an MP3 player too because it really excels at that. So the Passport wins here.
    • Battery life - I know 30 hours is a far cry from what I get. But to be honest, my battery life is pretty good. A normal day I see about 10 hours out of my battery. And actually, I own 2 spares that I keep with me when I know it'll be a long day or I'll see heavy use. So I've put myself in a position where battery life isn't an issue. This one is a push.

I think maybe I need to get my hands on one for a bit and see what I think. I'm waiting on AT&T to have an in-store demo unit. I was told via Twitter...
    09-30-14 03:44 PM