Hi,

I keep reading different versions on the 200.000 'sold' or 'ordered' Passport. Which is it?

• Amazon and Blackberry Store had some items in stock and they sold out. Plus that, 200.000 was ordered and are waiting for restock?

• Amazon and Blackberry Store sold out after selling 200.000 units. Hence, back-orders come on top of that?

• or at announcement 200.000 units were sold and/or ordered (stock or no stock)

Thanks,
    Thor
    Last edited by toc610; 09-30-14 at 02:00 AM. Reason: edit screw up
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-30-14 01:49 AM
    They had 200,000 reserved for immediate sale unoocked through the outlets of Amazon and ShopBlackBerry. All others past that are on back order.

They also have reserve stock for the carriers that are starting to carry it this week.

It is all perception.Looks like you got info from 3 different media sites. maybe source them next time so we can judge the credibility
    toc610 likes this.
    09-30-14 05:57 AM
    This Guardian article:

http://gu.com/p/4223x

Says that it was pre orders including those to phone companies, and in the comments quotes Chen talking about it. I've seen a few on here say it was purely Amazon and direct website sales, but no direct evidence for that. Anyone clarify?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 06:06 AM
    I don't think we have a clear answer per say. I don't know the exact quote by Chen but I think it was vague enough for media to report either way. I'm leaning towards they had 200k units they shipped to carrier's and had available online. Given that everywhere was sold out after 48 hours from reports it would seem they sold them all and that was what he reported to the press
    09-30-14 07:49 AM
    I don't think we have a clear answer per say. I don't know the exact quote by Chen but I think it was vague enough for media to report either way. I'm leaning towards they had 200k units they shipped to carrier's and had available online. Given that everywhere was sold out after 48 hours from reports it would seem they sold them all and that was what he reported to the press
    This is what Charles Arthur in that Guardian article quoted from the transcript:

From the earnings call transcript on Seeking Alpha, here's what Chen said when asked specifically how many Passports were sold to make it "sold out":

But on the Passport, as I pointed out, we have – we entered in the launch day with 200,000 units already ordered. We received PO for those. And the first day, it sold out in many, many places, because literally, the real big shipment to everybody who sign up for distribution is actually seven days after that day, the next Wednesday I suppose. So we have a limited quantity supply, but it sold out very quickly.

"PO" there is "preorders". If it didn't go on sale on Amazon or BlackBerry's site before the launch day, those can't have been where those orders came from.

Bolded bit is the quote, the rest is his comment.
    09-30-14 08:05 AM